Valley View, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes Racing
Total Time = 1h 44m 12s
Overall Rank = 9/16
Age Group = Clyde 40+
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

This was my first tri ever and so my prerace routine was a lot of the stuff I learned from the BT group, free siminars, etc... We stayed close to the event to avoid the 2 hour drive. Up at 4am and got the car repacked and had a bagle with peanut butter and honey. Drank about 16 oz. of water with Nuun and headed to the event. I made sure I was there early and it paid off without having to wait in line. Just straight to an open body marker and into transition. i was on the rack closest to the bike in so we had no racks to our back. Made getting in and out real easy. Got the transition all set up, double checked it, grabbed the wetsuit and headed to the beach.
Event warmup:

Did some light exercises like squats and arm strokes to get the blood flowing and then went for a short swim to get the cold water shock over with. Water was int he low 70's so it was not that bad.
Swim
  • 09m 58s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've got to thank Samuel Law of Playtri in Dallas for my swim performace. I was a slow plow in the water and decided to take a lesson with Playtri. In one lesson with just a few tweeks, Samuel helped to shave almost a minute off my 100 yard time. I was expecting to take about 12 minutes for the swim but came out of the water in just under 10 min.
What would you do differently?:

Get lessons sooner. LOL. Really nothing. Being my first tri I had a lot to work on and I was real happy with the performance on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

The lake level is really low so we had a good hike across the beach. There were wetsuit strippers but since I was in a late wave I decided to skip it and not get sand all over myself. Just under a quarter mile jog into T1 and the heart rate was up a little. Took my time to clean the feet and went ahead and put socks on. Went smooth.

Just more practice with more races to develope a solid routine.
Bike
  • 53m 34s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Similar to my swim, I have to thank Marc and Shane for the BT Power Mentor Group. I ride a 2012 Scott CR1 Team that I added a Power2Max to about a month ago. All of the winter training paid off and I only got passed by the high end super bikes. LOL. I did a fair amount of passing myself and even passed a few of the tri bike. HA.My FTP is 223 and I was wanting to hold about 200 watts for the bike leg. I ended up with a normalized power of 208 and felt good coming off the bike. One scary moment ont he bike when a competitor was trying to remount the bike on the side of the road and pulled out crossways in the bike lane. Little pucker factor and brake check but managed to miss what could have beena bad day.

Nothing, Marc and Shane got me right where I needed to be with the best time I could hope for. With my solid education from them, I will improve with every race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

T2 went well and I had the 2nd fastest T2 time. I had to scoot a bike over to get my bike on the rack but other than that it was smooth. Even paused for a quick second so my wife could snap a thumbs up pic before heading out on the run.

Just more practice to get a solid routine. Learn the shoes on the bike tricks.
Run
  • 34m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

The run is my weakest area and the place where I can make up some time. I was never a runner for my first 41 years of life and only started running July 1, 2013. The gains are coming and I managed to set a PR for my 5K time. That PR was also after swimming and biking. HA. The course was awesome and went through mostly shaded paths in the park. Dumped water on the head to stay cool and finished the race strong like I had been there before. It wasn't an Ironman but they did call my name and home town as I came down the finishing chute. LOL

This is easy, just run more and keep shaving time off my pace. First goal is to get to a 10 min per mile race pace. I will get there.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and walked around. Photo's with the wife and talked to some family memebers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. This one I had fun with and still raced it pretty good. I still had gas int he tank which is OK. I wanted to finish and learn how to pace these events.

Event comments:

First time tri and first time Texasman. They seem to put on a really good race.

Last updated: 2014-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:58 | 500 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 0/16
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:34 | 16.1 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:34 | 05 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 6/8
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-05 10:56 AM

Subject: TexasMan Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TexasMan Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Texasman Sprint Triathlon

Started by morgenrr
Views: 1328 Posts: 7

2007-09-17 1:33 PM KenD

Started by KenD
Views: 1704 Posts: 8

2007-09-18 9:56 PM docshock1964

Started by kriscrn
Views: 1578 Posts: 11

2007-09-17 3:49 PM CBarnes

Started by Cojsum
Views: 1261 Posts: 3

2007-09-17 12:22 PM kriscrn

Started by KSH
Views: 1703 Posts: 15

2006-09-19 8:00 AM parrj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.