Siouxperman Triathlon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 40s
Overall Rank = 6/162
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at a decent time. Greek Yogurt. Banana. Coffee. Water. Oatmeal. Left for Sioux Center at 6:00 AM. Hour drive to the race site. Wanted to get there early to help other STC members with their set up if needed.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike around the site for a little bit to get into the right gear and make sure things were set up right. Ran for about a mile. Dynamic stretching. Ready to go!
Swim
  • 04m 7s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Flip tunrs on the deep end. Touch turns on the shallow end. It seemed to tight for me to perform a good flip turn and not crack my skull.

I felt smooth the entire swim. I glanced at my watch at the first 100 and it ready 1:15 which was a little fast for what I wanted to do so I pulled back a little. Could have broke 4:00 but no reason to over do it.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I decided to put on a longsleeved shirt and socks for the bike. It was still chilly out and with as warm as the water was I thought there could be some extra weather shock involved. The ride out of T1 was very rough. Got into my shoes just fine and was up to speed once I got to the main road.

Go faster I guess. Joel and I tied for overall time so 1 second here or there would have given either one of us some good bragging rights!!
Bike
  • 41m 47s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike route is an L shaped course out and back. Wind was very strong o\ut of the NW so was at our backs for the first 1 mile and into our faces for the next 6 miles. I struggled keeping a strong pace going up the hills. They race director chooses to put the slowest 20 swimmers first so they are out on the course by the time I got to my bike. I was 2nd out of fast group out of the water and caught the fastest swimmer rather quickly.

At the turnaround the wind was a major push. I was quickly up to 30+ MPH for most of the return trip. Couple of big hills and some irractic bikers caused me to slow down.

This race showed that I did not get as much biking in this off season as I should have. I was really pushing hard and the wind kicked my ass.

I know I need to get stronger on my bike and that will be the push over the next month or so as I get closer to the big races.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

This was a great T2 for me. I found my rack spot easily. Got my helmet off fast and my peeled off my long sleeve. Slid my shoes on, grabbed my hat and race belt and was off and running.

Saved a little time since I already had socks on for the bike.

Not much. Can't complain about a 30 second transition.
Run
  • 21m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt decent. The wind was really tough on the return trip. I was very excited that I did not get passed by anyone on the bike or out of transition. It wasn't until after the 1 mile mark did I get passed. The only other guy to pass me did so just after the 2 mile make. I hung on to him for a while but he eventually left me.

Lap splits according to my Garmin:
Mile 1: 7:02
Mile 2: 7:12
Mile 3: 7:25

This is off from the race time so something is goofy there. The wind was very strong on the last mile and that certainly hindered my perforrmance. I did feel good though.

I did not grab a drink of water at the turnarond and probably should have. Didn't feel like I needed it.

Not let the guys pass me, or if they do, work harder to hang on to them.

Overall I was happy with my run performance.
Post race
Warm down:

I went back to transition and they were offereing free massages and there was no line. DUH!! grabbed that right away. Light stretching. Packed my stuff. Grabbed a burger for the road and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Totally my own fault.

Event comments:

4th in my Age Group. The top 3 in my Age Group were also the Top Three overall which meant I WON MY AGE GROUP!!!..... kinda.

Still, I get a gold medal and I will take it every single time. Not sure I can call it an age group win, but it certainly was an age group award. Really happy to beat Randy too! HAHAHAHAHA

I took nearly 5 minutes off my previous PR too. Can't complain about that!

I love this race. The RD does an excellent job. The numbers were down this year and I think it was due to the weather being so bad last year. The shirts they handed out with the packets are really frickn nice. Easily worth the cost of the race!!

The swim started 15 minutes late. They were having issues with getting people lined up and that was frustrating. They start the swim with the slowest 20 - 40 people then they take a break. They then do the teams and then a shorter break. I think i got into the water over an hour later than I thought I would.

Overall they do a great job on Siouxperman and I will sign up everytime my schedule allows it.

Last updated: 2014-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:07 | 300 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 2/162
Performance: Good
Suit: Pool swim. No suit
Course: Pool Swim. Stay in your lane. Non issue. Water was very warm
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:47 | 15.5 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Overall: 7/162
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back on county roads. Had to pay close attention. Several cracks in the road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:57 | 03.1 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 17/162
Performance: Average
158 Average 163 High Good pace
Course: Mostly flat. Out and back. Couple of little hills to deal with. Trails, streets, and sidewalks. All concrete.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes