The Woodlands Township Parks and Recreation Department
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 36s
Overall Rank = 432/885
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 78/114
Pre-race routine:

Well my pre-race routine unfortunately included strep throat this year. I started feeling unusually exhausted the Monday before the race, by Wednesday I have a sore throat. While I didn't have a fever, I went to the doctor, and yup, strep. So Wednesday night, I started taking antibiotics ahead of a Saturday race.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging around
Swim
  • 09m 53s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goal has been to break 10 minutes on the swim. I decided to try to hang with the big boys and draft as long as possible. I was doing rather well through about 150-200m but veered off course and lost the pack. There was decidingly more contact that when I started outside the main pack.

On the plus side, I only the one navigation error, and I think I passed about 3-4 people just by swimming all the way until my fingers could touch.

Swimming this in under 10 minutes has been a goal of mine, and was the only bright spot on the day.
What would you do differently?:

I lost the pack when I got a little overconfident that I was swimming straight and didn't continue to sight as frequently. .
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Did well getting the suit off of quickly. Pretty quick transition for me.
Bike
  • 35m 24s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I really started to feel the resutls of being sick on the bike. I felt less energy and when I tried to go faster my stomach got upset and I dry heaved a couple times (gross, I know). It also didn't want to keep any Gatorade down.

I was hoping to average close to 20 mph, so I lost a few minutes due to the lingering illness. In partial fairness to my time, the timing chip detector was about 75 yards from the point where you had to get on and off the bike.

Not get sick
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I was moving a little slower, but no mistakes.
Run
  • 26m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I felt AWFUL on the run. I think I dry-heaved four times, every time I tried to pick up some speed.

I thought I was going to finish the run in 29 miuntes, so I was quite happy that it was still somewhat respectable. Ideally I would have been hoping for a time under 25:00.

Not get sick
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to folks. Should have stretched...paying for it today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strep throat. I wish I had a few more days to recover. I probably lost about 5 minutes due to the illness.

Event comments:

This is a good race which sells out within days. It is well organized and they alleviated last year's issues by putting timing chips in the race packets. I wanted to make this race one I do every year to benchmark performance. Unfortunately the change in the bike course and my illness prevented just that.

It wasn't any fun getting strep throat 3 days before the race, but I gave it a go anyway. I met my swim goal, so at least I had one positive takeaway.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:53 | 500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/114
Overall: 138/885
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3
Course: A rectangle in Lake Woodlands. The lake is so silty that you cannot see three inches.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:24 | 10.6 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 94/114
Overall: 554/885
Performance: Below average
Avg = 174
Wind: Little
Course: The cut the course from 15 miles to 10.6 miles due to ongoing area road construction. It was an out-and-back with a slight uphill on the way out (about a 200 ft. elevation gain over 5 miles). The road is tree-lined so there is little wind.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:47 | 05 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 90/114
Overall: 571/885
Performance: Below average
Avg HR = 177 whch is much less than my lactate threshold
Course: The course was an out and back, which was modified from last year due to road construction. The first part is over the bridge so there is some uphill. Then we ran down to the waterway which is about a 10 ft drop in elevation. The course along the Waterway is flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-06 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: CB&I Tri - The Woodlands
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CB&I Tri - The Woodlands Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CB&I Tri - The Woodlands

Started by jkvandy
Views: 2173 Posts: 9

2007-05-10 4:33 PM kdavidreeves

CB&I Tri - The Woodlands

Started by kriley
Views: 1449 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 1:20 PM kriley

CB&I Tri - The Woodlands

Started by caseyr02
Views: 1292 Posts: 1

2006-05-17 9:08 AM caseyr02

CB&I Tri - The Woodlands

Started by csgomez
Views: 1494 Posts: 4

2006-05-09 4:13 PM csgomez

CB&I Tri The Woodlands

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1665 Posts: 10

2004-05-13 9:39 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.