2006-08-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: #519422

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
maxpixie - 2006-08-23 9:17 AM

This one is for Ms. Stumfossil -

I was reading your other Danskin race report (nice work, btw!) and I was wondering exactly how one places Tevas (or other footwear) to get you from the swim to your transition area without wrecking your feet??  I've heard of this for other races where the end of the swim is far or across a gravely parking lot to the bikes, but I don't know how to go about it... did you SWIM with Tevas in your tri-shorts??? I can't imagine with waves and waves of people at the swim start that you could just leave them on the beach and find them when you're done....

~ Daft Newbie Christine

thanks!

In fact I did leave them on the beach (sort of). The finish required a short run across the sandy beach to a fence opening to the parking lot. You then had to run across this area (50yards or so) and then into the transition area which was really just a dirt parking area.

I left my teva's in a spot right by the rail fence at the opening to the paved lot that we would run across to get to the transition area.

It was just a matter of remembering where I left them and my attitude was that if I couldnt find them or they disappeared I would just go without and find them later.

I couldnt imagine doing this either until I got to the race site and saw how it could work.

I dont recommend swimming with tevas on your feet or tucked into your shorts—the drag would really slow you down.

I might consider bringing an older pair of sneakers to Sandy Hook to leave on the beach if needed. I wouldnt leave my official "race shoes" on the beach as you'll be screwed if they get lost

2006-08-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #519437

User image

Extreme Veteran

I couldnt imagine doing this either until I got to the race site and saw how it could work. I dont recommend swimming with tevas on your feet or tucked into your shorts—the drag would really slow you down.

Ok good, then I don't feel bad for not being able to picture it.  I just couldn't imagine how you'd be able to leave or find them, but I guess it does work!  And swimming with them, well that is just silly but then who am I to say?

I'm thinking maybe a cheap pair of flip-flops with my name in Sharpie - that way, someone NOT named Christine should feel guilty taking them, but if they do disappear, it's no loss. 

(note to self, buy ugliest pair of dollar-store flip flops, emblazon with name, leave at swim exit)

Thanks!!

2006-08-23 10:10 AM
in reply to: #519479

User image

Master
CT
maxpixie - 2006-08-23 10:04 AM

I couldnt imagine doing this either until I got to the race site and saw how it could work. I dont recommend swimming with tevas on your feet or tucked into your shorts—the drag would really slow you down.

Ok good, then I don't feel bad for not being able to picture it.  I just couldn't imagine how you'd be able to leave or find them, but I guess it does work!  And swimming with them, well that is just silly but then who am I to say?

I'm thinking maybe a cheap pair of flip-flops with my name in Sharpie - that way, someone NOT named Christine should feel guilty taking them, but if they do disappear, it's no loss. 

(note to self, buy ugliest pair of dollar-store flip flops, emblazon with name, leave at swim exit)

Thanks!!

wasnt meaning to poke fun about swimming with tevas

make sure you can run safely in the cheap flip-flops— you don't want to injure yourself on your way to the transition area

maybe a pair of watershoes or an old pair of sneakers or something that straps on securely

with any luck we won't need to put anything on our feet!

hope you have a great race

would be great to actually meet you there—what are the chances…??
2006-08-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #507749

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Would love to be able to meet everyone that's been so encouraging. Sat would def work better for me because I'll have a 6 hr drive home after the race on Sun. The kids don't want to miss any school.(can you believe it) I think we're all gonna Rock!
2006-08-23 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
i'd love to meet up with everyone, saturday is good. what time will everyone be arriving to the expo?
2006-08-24 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Klynn and I are getting in late Fri night and can't rem the time for the expo but I want to get there first thing to see if I can scope out any goodies!!! We are staying At the Residence Inn in Tinton Falls. We waited to long to make reservations so its about 20min (I think).

2006-08-27 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
It's been really, really quiet on this thread lately. Guess everyone is too busy training to post!!!!
2006-08-28 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Klynn and I are hoping to join you all in the OWS on Sat in VA Beach. Any def time and place to meet? My cousins will be in for a visit and they want to go to the beach as well so K and I will drive down and then they can meet us later. I don't want my family watch me drowned at the ocean!!!! HAven't done any OWS since the BAhamas and I don't think that really counts because its more like the pool.
2006-09-05 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
just wondering about what to eat the night before the race and the morning of the race?
at the practice race - i had a bad experience with my food intake, don't want to repeat that...
i'm looking for any tips/tried and true that you all may have to offer
thanks
-mary
2006-09-05 9:30 AM

Nutrition is so individual. For me in a Sprint, I want to eat a good meal that is easy to digest. I look at pasta, some chickens, wraps, salads. I avoid red meats, and spicy foods. I NEVER eat anything that may be sketcy (Sushi, fish ect). I have big pre race anxiety issues, so I do comfort foods, and I start fluid loading. I will sip water contantly from 5-6pm on pre race night until start. It keeps me freash. The biggest thing is that if you have never eaten it, or drank it....don't try it close to race day. I have read a ton on pre race, and come to the conclusion that you do what works for you, what feels right. Fruits, salads, pastas, nuts ect...Dave
2006-09-06 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm planning on relatively light food. Maybe pasta and chicken the night before, and something like a banana, toast, choc. milk before leaving the hotel, and depending on when my wave starts maybe another very light snack before the race starts. I agree that hydrating is key though.

2006-09-06 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks to these posts i had a dream that mary and i forgot to eat before the race or refuel on the bike so we started the run with big cereal bowls of cheerios and milk (even wierder cause mary doesn't drink milk). eating with spoons while running and everything.

any advice from anyone on stuff to refuel during the race? tried a power par (cliff bar really) and can't chew and pedal at the same time. may be too late to try something new at this point but just wondering.
2006-09-06 9:27 PM
in reply to: #532896

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

I like to eat Gu Strawberry Banana.  Its the only flavor I can tolerate.  Its pretty easy to open and you just squeeze it into your mouth.

Although, I talked to my coach about nutrition during the race, and he said the race is short enough you may not need it besides of course water and electrolytes.

Edited by JenBunn1e 2006-09-06 9:30 PM
2006-09-09 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I just tried a low-sugar Detour bar for the first time today, I think that's what I'll have on the bike.  I really liked it.  (Found 'em at Target, bonus!)

The gal at the Y this morning is doing the race, thank goodness I talked to her... she told me they updated the race page with more info earlier this week...

Looks like they split up the race packet pickup, N-Z is from 10 to 12:30 and A-M is 12:30-3pm.  They also announced a few little seminars at the expo, reviewing the course and I'm definitely going to attend the "how to fix a flat" one because I have NO clue about bike maintenance!

http://www.danskin.com/nymetro.html#about.2

Do you guys want to try to meet up for the course review at 12:30?  I figure the end of the alphabet will still be there after pickup, and the beginning of the alphabet folks will be getting in.  I'll make a little BT logo sign, so if you see a girl with shoulder-length brown hair holding a pice of paper over her head with "BT" on it (or maybe I'll clip it to my race belt so I can be hands-free), that'll be me, come say HI!   I'll also have my kidlet with me, so you may have to chase me if I have to chase him

~Christine

Edited by maxpixie 2006-09-09 8:17 AM
2006-09-09 9:48 AM
in reply to: #535110

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
hey, thanks ever so much for bringing the updated danskin information to our attention. i think meeting up there at that time will work - i'll have my kidlet with me too, most likely if my spouse decides to join me that day.
and thanks to you all for your tips regarding nutrition, i know its a very subjective thing, so i'm planning to have just fruit in the morning of the race, maybe some toast, but no protein shake, that's what messed me up last time, i think.
also most of my good workouts were mornings after i had a balanced dinner, and then a protein shake as a snack around 8 or so the night before... we'll see...
wow the race is almost here!
-mary
2006-09-09 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Nutrition is so hard for me because I'm not a big breakfast eater. Today the three of us from Tidewater area got together and did a mini tri and did great. Had 2 mini begals and 2 cups of java. Worked well then after a 20 min swim tried a straw/banana poweraid gu. Wasn't the greatest tasted but managed to get it down. That really helped on the run portion because I really felt that I had great energy left. But only ran 2.75. This was a first attempt at doing all three. Was really scared last week after my last brick but now feel better. Can't believe that we only have 7 days left. YIKES!!!!! We were thinking of doing the 10:30 course thing but could meet everyone. Would be good to put faces to all the names.

Edited by sk2a2005 2006-09-09 7:04 PM

2006-09-11 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
I can't believe race day is less that a week away!!!! I made reservations this a.m. for the ferry, we will be getting to Cape May around 10:30 Sat. a.m. RandMcNally.com says it's about 2 hours from Cape May to Asbury Park. I would be cutting a 12:30 meeting close, but if all goes smoothly I should be able to make it. It would be great to get to meet everyone. Brenda
2006-09-12 12:28 AM

User image

Expert

If you are taking the Parkway from the South going northbound, IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE the exit number Danskin has listed as there is not an exit 102 on the Parkway North!  Only 105 and three exit 100s, like exit 100, 100A, 100B.  You want the second one for route 66 going East to Asbury.  There is an exit 102 if you are going Southbound on the Parkway, but that one doesn't put you on 66 right away. 

For everyone, if the route you take takes you to the Asbury Circle (routes 66/35 and Asbury Ave), especially if you don't have Jersey plates, please make sure that you yield when you enter the circle, as I do know someone that got a ticket there for that with out of state plates.  As a general rule (except in Asbury maybe where they have actual police work to do), in any of the towns in that area, if you have out of state plates especially, they will look to ticket you for anything they can, as few of the cops has much else to do but write tickets.  When in Asbury Park (which is a really, really bad area), make sure that your bikes (and cars) are locked up securely, especially if they are outside your car.  If you are staying in that hotel, you will want your bike inside your room that night and please, don't anyone walk around there by themselves when it is dark.  I don't mean to scare you, but Asbury Park is not a safe surbuban town as just about every other town in Monmouth County is.  It is an poor urban area with a lot of crime, I'm afraid, despite the redevelopment going on.  I just don't want to hear about something bad happening there to any BTers or anyone else in the race, not that anything should happen.

2006-09-12 5:01 AM
in reply to: #537323

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Wow.  Thanks for the info.  I will definitely be sure to lock up my bike when I'm at the expo.
2006-09-12 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Was all set to race this weekend, but had an emergency apentectomy last night. UGH! At least it was caught before it burst and it happened at the end of the season.
Very bummed I won't be racing since I did this race last year and loved it!
Still plan on going to the race since I have a friend participating.
Good luck to you all! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!
2006-09-13 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow Kristin, I'm so sorry you hear about the surgery, but glad it was caught in time. It's a bummer that you can't do Danskin, better to be healthy - there is always next year

Edited by crabsrule 2006-09-13 12:14 PM

2006-09-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: #538715

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
really sorry to hear about the surgery.
my nephew had his appendix removed a while back, not a fun time... and my husband had his out under emergency circumstances at the age of 9 or 10 I think... the human race will be better off when the appendix is phased out altogether since its an unecessary organ anyway.
here's to a quick recovery! you'll come back stronger next time, I'm sure.
we'll be thinking of you race day!
-mary
2006-09-13 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
So sorry to hear about your surgery and wishing you a very speedy recovery!!!
2006-09-13 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Kristin, sorry to hear about the appy- That's no fun. Hope your on to a speedy recovery.
2006-09-14 1:03 PM

New user

Hi Ladies!

I just found BT a few weeks ago and discovered your thread today. I'm here in NJ and been training for the Danskin along with a bunch of gals through our local Y. I've been training since June and this is my first tri also. We (women) have a great network, and I wanted to wish you all the best of luck. You sound like you're all well prepared--and we should have a great weekend!

Although we'll all be traveling in the wee hours of the morning to get to the tri, any out of staters should know that traffic in NJ is highly unpredictable and frequently horrible. Plan extra time to get to the tri. I read this morning that there are over 3000 women registered, only 880 of which are from NJ. I'd expect the roads to be pretty messy that morning.

Again, good luck and have a great tri!

Ariadne
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 4