General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Registering only on race days.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Registering only on race days....

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Ive been in operations for 20 years! If an RD cannot figure out a way to accommodate or plan on a +1 or 2% increase in numbers then they shouldn't be an RD. ... Also Im not buying that a couple people or 10 -100 are going to affect water and food consumption. Changes in weather are going to be more of a factor in water consumption than a few added folks. ... Yeah Im stirring the pot! ... Ive only been in Tri land for less than a year. I have to say that 99.9 % of the athletes I have met have been friendlier and more accommodating than most any other group I have associated with. ... Of course Im from Boston, so my sample may be skewed a bit.

Well, while you're stirring the pot, check your math.  1% is ONE walk up in a race of 100.  Like I said, I've seen 25 walk ups on race day in a race of 125 or so. 

What is the problem with signing up for a race in a timely manner that allows the RD to have enough resources for everyone?  Really?  It might cost you 65.00 if the race gets cancelled??  It might cost you 100.00??  Really? 

Like I said, I've been doing this awhile......race entry fees are your biggest expense issues in triathlon??  Really?

Don't make me say "really" again......I will, I swear I will. 

Really?

2014-05-10 8:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

I've done the day of entry before. Not normal, but it happens. Someone on might post on FB the day or two before "Who's doing xyz with me?" Um, ok. I'll go. Or I completely overlooked a local bike event. Online registration has closed already and there is no other way to do it. Typically I'l sign up ahead though, for the reasons mentioned and I usually like to know what's coming up.

2014-05-10 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

Originally posted by DigitalRain

Originally posted by pschriver
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by DigitalRain Does anyone do this? Louisiana weather is so unpredictable, I'm cautious about signing up months, weeks before a race. Most if not all the entry fees are non refundable and with most races being $60 or more to me that's a lot to lose with possibly nothing to show for it.

Unless there's lightning, you race. Suck it up, buttercup.

LMAO!!!
And don't complain if you have to pay a premium to do it. Or have to wait in line. There is very little satisfaction in being a RD and usually you do it to raise money for a charity.
Okay come on. Really??? Ive done enough races to know that race day fees will be extra if the the option is made available and I have no problem with waiting in line if necessary. I don't recall griping about anything of these things that a person with common sense would know and accept when choosing to register on a race day, so exactly where are you getting this "don't complain" issue from?

Here's the other part of the story.  When a race runs short of water, or bike racks, or volunteers, because they were inundated with race day sign ups, it's unfair to the people who signed up early.  Yeah, you can say that the RD's should consider that when they offer race day sign ups, and I wouldn't argue with you.....which is why I say they shouldn't offer it at all.  I've been doing this awhile.....I've seen local races with 25 walk ups out of 125-150 racers......that hurts a race.

How about don't think just about yourself and sign up for the race in a manner that lets the RD get all the resources he/she needs.  It's not that hard. 

Oh. ok. That's your opinion on race day registrations that are offered to participants by race directors. Have a great night!

Of course it's my opinion.  When you asked in your OP, "does anyone do this?", were you hoping that everyone had the same opinion as you?  Did you not count on some people thinking that your way of thinking was wrong? 

I would NEVER do that.  I don't think it's fair to other racers or race directors.  I already told you that I had no argument with you if RD's allowed it....was that not good enough? 

I just don't think they should allow it, and I don't think you should be able to do it.

I have no problems with people having opinions because I definitely have mine, lol. I read and noted yours, stated that's your opinion, and told you good night and yet you still have something to say. I'm not sure what else you require at this point.

2014-05-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

I race-day register run races often in late winter/early spring. Same with crits. There are a couple tri's (with indoor pool swims) in my neck of the woods during April. If I chose to do one of those, it would only be via race day registration. Weather is way to unpredictable in April and I'm not racing a tri in 40 degree temps.

Everything else is planned out. My racing schedule is pretty much scheduled by mid January. It's easier to start paying off races during the first few months of the year and then not have to worry about it the rest of the year.
2014-05-10 9:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Digital rain......I would have gladly given you the last word....except for this.........

"That's your opinion on race day registrations that are offered to participants by race directors."

I just wouldn't do it.......it's bush league IMO... it has nothing to do with RD's.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-10 9:31 PM
2014-05-10 10:16 PM

User image

To answer the question about the money - Yes $60 to $100 is a lot of money to me.
especially when there is risk of cancellation with no refund.

--I understand why there are no refund and cancelations etc.

But that's a good amount of dough to cough up considering that I don't ride 2X $1000+ bikes.
I ride a hand me down clunker and am constantly evaluating what I can afford on a 2nd hand used road and or tri bike.

• All That being said, I plan on signing up well ahead for races I am singling out.
    But added races will be on the day prior or even on race day.

2014-05-10 10:23 PM

A last-day registered racer is one extra paid participant in the race that likely wouldn't have done it at all otherwise.

Sure, it's MUCH better for the RDs to have early reg, and the earlier the better, but life happens. If they don't want to deal with day of registration, they can say 'NO day of registration.' Have seen it a lot at popular races that sell-out routinely, and a few that don't. And most tris in my area sell out, even the local ones, so it's pretty much self-enforcing to prereg.

It's probably better business though to have the typical model of increasing registration prices as the race date approach.

I def wouldn't go so far as to say day-of-race-registration is something that's scorned by the triathlon community. It's not. 

2014-05-10 10:40 PM
    in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Champion
    MA

The idea that race day registration folks will hurt the race with shirts, water, ect, what about the no shows?  Often they are filling slots of those who don't show up to race.

Same day registration often you don't get a shirt or you get it after the race if there are any left.

The RD should know how many they can accommodate , how many have registered and how many no shows, and how many additional slots they can sell. It would be unwise to sell more slots than they can accommodate well. Doesn't matter when they sold the entrance to the race a year ahead or same day as the race.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Registering only on race days.... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

To register Athena or to not register Athena?

Started by augeremt
    Views: 1216 Posts: 8

2009-12-06 6:18 PM augeremt

Registering for next years IM day after race

Started by rollinsw
    Views: 830 Posts: 6

2006-06-22 6:05 PM max

Registered for my 1st race today

Started by Freak Monk
    Views: 709 Posts: 8

2005-11-03 12:51 PM Sassafras

Atlanta area-registering for races

Started by Beignet
    Views: 563 Posts: 6

2004-11-07 4:46 PM tribesman

i have registered to a race.

Started by shaycahal
    Views: 690 Posts: 4

2004-04-09 3:53 PM shaycahal
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 19, 2010
    author : Patrick McCrann
    comments : 1
    Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
    author : Patrick McCrann
    comments : 3
    Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.
    date : October 7, 2009
    author : EnduranceFilms
    Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : May 5, 2009
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 0
    A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
    date : August 8, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 11, 2008
    author : Team BT
    comments : 2
    Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
    date : June 11, 2007
    author : MegL
    comments : 2
    So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : June 14, 2005
    author : tomp
    Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.