General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-09 8:58 PM

User image

Subject: Plantar Fasciitis
So I talked to a chiropractor friend of mine about some foot pain I have been having after runs, without saying too much he described everything i was having and said that the easy diagnosis is PF. I know that isnt a doctors diagnosis but all the symptoms were dead on. The good thing is i think i have a very mild case of PF because i can only feel some discomfort the first 5 steps out of bed, that is unless i go for a run. After a run it hurts so bad that i can barely walk on it. but the next day it goes back to only hurting the first few steps. I have decided to take off a month of running (maybe more) to see if this can heal it. Also the pain is on the outside part of my right foot about two inches from the heel. Has anyone had PF in this spot? After a month I think i will be making a shoe change, even though my shoes do not have many miles on them to begin with but I have never had this problem before. Maybe try out some Hoka's. Seems like a lot of people have success in them!!!

2014-05-10 6:29 AM
in reply to: sharkbait!

Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis
I had this last year, but now is gone. You have to pretty much have to STOP running for a few months. I stopped for almost 4 months. I used an insert on my everyday shoes called Soft Sole. Very important to stretch those calves starting NOW. I did the wall stretch and the foam roller. At the end of the day I used a frozen can of peas to roll my feet (I got it on both). Do this for about 4 months and see what happens. Now I don't use the insert and I only use the can after long runs, but I stretch my calves before and after very well. BTW - were you converting to forefoot running? That's how I got mine. I am now a more mid foot runner now but switched to Nike Free 5.0. Good Luck!
2014-05-10 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
good luck with the rest, i have had it two plus years now. same symptoms as you. i use a frozen water bottle and a tennis ball for stretching it out.
2014-05-10 2:59 PM
in reply to: Curtisb

User image

I've had it for about 6 months. It's just healing up now. I think I got it because my shoes were losing their support and I increased my running. I didn't stop running. It was the same as you. It hurt after a run and in the morning and off and on throughout the day. I stretched it and did some strength exercises I found on youtube. I'm not sure if it was time or the exercises that did the trick.
2014-05-10 9:42 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I got PF a little over 2 years ago. I tried stretching, eccentric calf raises, rolling with a frozen water bottle, rolling on a ball, normal running, light running, no running, massage, OTC shoe inserts, custom orthotics, 2 cortisone injections, and probably some others things I am not thinking of right now. But what helped me the most was wearing a night splint EVERY night like this one. http://www.brace-mart.com/bracemart-products/night-splint-90-degree... I wore the velcro out on it and now wear a Strassburg sock. I still wear it EVERY night. I finally feel pretty good with only a few little twinges but it is mostly gone. Good luck. I hope you find what works for you!
Karen
2014-05-10 11:12 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Not really the report i was looking for!!! seems like a lot of rest for it. i was hoping to get back to running in a month or two. I will def try all of these out. at least it doesnt bother me riding or swimming. guess i will take this time to focus more on swimming and improving my worse discipline!! thanks a lot for all of the advice.

No, i wasnt switching over to forefoot running. it really just came out of nowhere after a long run, guess i just made the mistake of running to far to quick....

2014-05-11 7:04 AM

User image

Mine was a combination of switching to fore-foot running style and increasing mileage for a marathon. Nothing helped but 6 months off. Know that's not what you want to hear but that was the reality of it. Rolling the calves (and pretty much everything else) is what worked the best for recovery (and injury prevention).

Funny side story, I was running is stability shoes for years but after PF switched to neutral. Don't really know why that was, but probably had something to do with the injury and possibly running more on the ball of my foot required less "stability"?
2014-05-11 3:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I went through much the same issue last summer (2013). In June I was seriously wondering if my brief running career less then a year old was basically over before it really started. I did similar to you and I just took a few weeks off. My case was bad (I don't think there is a "mild case" of PF) but it was hardily as bad as I think many others go through. Mine was really only severe for a few days where it literally felt uncomfortably walking just a bit.

The time off helped. What also helped was getting custom inserts with arch support. That I think was KEY. I got the customs at Road Runner Sports and whatever one wants to say about that store they have seemed to help a lot. While expensive they are much cheaper then custom orthotics from a Podiatrist. Also I switched over to Brooks Ravenna's which have a good amount of cushion but doesn't make me feel like I'm sinking in my shoes. I tried Asics Gel 18 (a more minimalist shoe) just around the time of my PF flare up and I found that just isn't working. I will never be able to run in a minimalist shoe with my PF and need for arch support I think. I also did some of the recommended PF stretches pretty regularly for at least a few months after which probably helped. I remember one night where I think I finally "snapped" my PF back into correct place or something by going REAL HARD on the roller ball I was using to help stretch it. Use common sense but don't be afraid to really try to needle the problem area of your foot with a ball/can.

For the most part since the end of last summer I have felt really pretty PF free. That is even though I was logging more miles 30-40 per/week then I ever did prepping for my first marathon over the winter.

Edited by Tootshibbard 2014-05-11 3:46 PM
2014-05-12 6:40 AM

User image

I took exactly 3 weeks off running after being diagnosed with PF before I started going nuts - this was before I had ready access to a pool for swimming, or my bike trainer - so running was my out after stressful days - mine came from getting a new pair of running shoes that didn't actually fit (I was dumb and just trusted the store without really checking them out - so my fault) and then running too far, too fast...

I do a lot of what people said here - golf ball on the bottom of the foot worked, sleep boot (although, I sleep on my stomach, so its fairly uncomfortable and I ended up taking it off most nights - not that I remember); my chiropractor did a lot of pressure point work on my feet which helped; she also did the k-tape for PF which was the best because it helped with my calf muscles. She also had a massage therapist on staff who did fasica release massage techniques (painful, but helped to break up the issues in the foot). I have both custom and OTC orthopedics - my insurance covered my inserts (I think I paid a grand total of $8 for them).
2014-05-12 12:06 PM

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
I battled PF for about a year. I tried a couple different types of shoes with not a lot of success. Eventually, I was treated by a physical therapist that recommended no running for six weeks, some new inserts, and a new stretching program. I've been running now for almost two months with no pain whatsoever.

My stretching regime wasn't as consistent as it should have been, but I have learned my lesson.
2014-05-12 12:13 PM

User image

Long Island, NY
Originally posted by gadgetlaw

I got PF a little over 2 years ago. I tried stretching, eccentric calf raises, rolling with a frozen water bottle, rolling on a ball, normal running, light running, no running, massage, OTC shoe inserts, custom orthotics, 2 cortisone injections, and probably some others things I am not thinking of right now. But what helped me the most was wearing a night splint EVERY night like this one. http://www.brace-mart.com/bracemart-products/night-splint-90-degree... I wore the velcro out on it and now wear a Strassburg sock. I still wear it EVERY night. I finally feel pretty good with only a few little twinges but it is mostly gone. Good luck. I hope you find what works for you!
Karen

X2

2014-05-12 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by gadgetlaw I got PF a little over 2 years ago. I tried stretching, eccentric calf raises, rolling with a frozen water bottle, rolling on a ball, normal running, light running, no running, massage, OTC shoe inserts, custom orthotics, 2 cortisone injections, and probably some others things I am not thinking of right now. But what helped me the most was wearing a night splint EVERY night like this one. http://www.brace-mart.com/bracemart-products/night-splint-90-degree... I wore the velcro out on it and now wear a Strassburg sock. I still wear it EVERY night. I finally feel pretty good with only a few little twinges but it is mostly gone. Good luck. I hope you find what works for you! Karen

Thanks for the link! That's a great deal, especially with free shipping. I'm going to give it a try! 

2014-05-12 12:36 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think the fact that it hurts a lot after running is a little atypical, but otherwise seems reasonable.  I just had a flare up and I went with the tried and true system of:

• Two weeks total rest from running. When I started back, if I had heel pain in the A.M. I would have rested more.
  • During rest period and after running, stretching by flexing my foot regularly. I do this by habit now in the car, etc.
  • During rest period wear a night boot.  I had one that is Futuro brand from CVS.  The Chiro that I saw recommended this brand versus the one linked in this discussion because it leaves the part that needs healing totally free. 
  • After running, rolling on my foot on a water bottle of ice.  The shape and the ice makes a huge difference.
  • Always wear shoes with arch support during healing process and possibly beyond, if you're prone to it.  Specifically no bare feet around the house, flipflops, etc. This stinks in the summer! 

P.F. can vary widely in severity from a strain (what I had and probably what you have) to a tear to a heel spur.  If the standard protocol doesn't help, and you don't start getting better even incrementally right way, I would see a doctor to make sure it's not more serious.

2014-05-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Pro

've had two pretty bad flare ups over the last 6 years.....the Feeture PF sleeve cured both of them.  I wore the sleeve day and night and while running.  It took about a week of wearing it before I was able to run again, and then I wore it another 30-45 days after the pain was gone. 

Here's a quick link to a good price.....you can go straight to their web site if you wish.  Most decent running stores carry them as well. 

http://www.zappos.com/feetures-plantar-fasciitis-sleeve-black-white?ef_id=UvVAxAAAADkZeTH-:20140512174049:s 

2014-05-12 10:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

thank yall so much for all the responses. i have a lot of things to try. i have been doing the golf ball rolling, stretching, and the ice water bottle and absolutely no running for a week now. i plan on doing 2 more weeks of this then go get new shoes and maybe start off slow. if i still have pain then i think its time to go see a dr. thanks a bunch Also checked out all the link. Will be getting the sleeve and night boot if it doesnt get better in 2 weeks. thanks again! maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!
2014-05-13 6:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

've had two pretty bad flare ups over the last 6 years.....the Feeture PF sleeve cured both of them.  I wore the sleeve day and night and while running.  It took about a week of wearing it before I was able to run again, and then I wore it another 30-45 days after the pain was gone. 

Here's a quick link to a good price.....you can go straight to their web site if you wish.  Most decent running stores carry them as well. 

http://www.zappos.com/feetures-plantar-fasciitis-sleeve-black-white?ef_id=UvVAxAAAADkZeTH-:20140512174049:s 

I used the sleeve as well and liked it - totally forgot about that until you linked the info

2014-05-13 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by Left Brain

Going to buy that too! Thanks! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Plantar's Fasciitis and Recovery Time

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 38506 Posts: 12

2008-03-18 12:59 PM LindaKC

Need slipper type shoes for Plantar Fasciitis

Started by nancylee
Views: 1259 Posts: 6

2007-10-04 1:14 PM nancylee

Plantar Fasciitis Pages: 1 2

Started by johnvick
Views: 3991 Posts: 30

2007-11-12 8:02 PM SevenZulu

Plantar Fasciitis - Two pairs of socks?

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 3100 Posts: 9

2006-02-02 9:32 AM klbarrus

arch pains/plantar fasciitis

Started by trilover
Views: 1036 Posts: 6

2004-06-18 9:58 AM jamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : December 28, 2009
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?
date : October 28, 2009
comments : 1
I think I have Plantar Faciitis? The bottom of my foot is sore in front of the heel in the mornings. It sort of gets better during the day, I can run without increasing in pain.

date : June 23, 2009
comments : 0
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : June 4, 2008
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?

date : March 6, 2008
Often pain occurs with the first steps of the day or at the beginning of a run when that tight fascia gets stretched and microtears occur. But pain can also develop with prolonged standing and worsen.
date : September 3, 2006
Heel pain, especially in runners, is usually due to plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue on the bottom of your foot that stretches from the heel to the ball of the foot

date : May 16, 2005
comments : 1
I have bone spurs in my left heel. It's painful first thing in the morning. Sometimes my heel will bother me running, or on the bike. I feel as if the heel is holding me back.