General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-12 9:20 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current?

Originally posted by wannabefaster
Originally posted by Left Brain

If the rule is no co2 cartridges then what is so hard about not bringing co2 cartridges? 

I am enjoying beating this dead horse. Because the rule isn't really no CO2 cartridges. What is so hard about that?

Sure it is.....the rule is no co2 cartridges unless part of a life vest.  So buy a $100.00 life vest to save 3 bucks.   

Hey, if you apply and get accepted to be an Air Marshall you can carry a gun on the plane too.....then you'd have a real arsenal. LOL

2014-05-12 9:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

If the rule is no co2 cartridges then what is so hard about not bringing co2 cartridges? 

I am enjoying beating this dead horse. Because the rule isn't really no CO2 cartridges. What is so hard about that?

Well...I suppose there rule isn't really no guns on the plane either.  

ETA: Too slow.

Edited by Jason N 2014-05-12 9:22 PM
2014-05-12 9:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

You could always ship a package with some co2 cartridges to the hotel you're staying at......that'd be REALLY easy. 

2014-05-12 9:23 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

You could always ship a package with some co2 cartridges to the hotel you're staying at......that'd be REALLY easy. 

Almost as easy as buying CO2.

2014-05-12 9:25 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

I will admit.....you'd get MAJOR points for buying a life vest AND wearing it as you boarded the plane. LMAO

2014-05-12 9:34 PM

User image

I will admit.....you'd get MAJOR points for buying a life vest AND wearing it as you boarded the plane. LMAO

I think you get points for bringing a life vest and declaring it to TSA as you go through security.  Bonus points if upon showing TSA your boarding pass they realize your flight doesn't even go over water.

Edited by Jason N 2014-05-12 9:34 PM

2014-05-12 9:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Doesn't it bother any of you that the rule is stupid?

No, I'm not going to buy a $100 life vest to save $3 but I shouldn't have to. The airline industry should either decide that CO2 cartridges are safe and allow them on the plane or decide that they are unsafe and not allow them.

I kind of see this the same way I see bike fees. The airlines have decided to charge exorbitant fees for bikes on planes. A massage table is the same size and weighs more and is subject to an oversize bag fee of $20-50. The bike fee is anywhere from $75-200. It makes me crazy thinking about it.

I guess that they are their planes so they get to make the rules but I don't have to like it.

Where I work we have a new rule that popped up in the last month or so. It serves no purpose. It doesn't make things better or safer or more efficient. As near as I can tell the only purpose of the rule us to aggravate employees. I have asked our administrators why and their only response is, "because it is the rule......" I told them that is somebody makes up the rule that we have to eat poop every day at work that I'm not doing it just because it is a rule. They did not think that was funny.

Anyways. I have now spent way too much of my life on this.
2014-05-12 10:02 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster Doesn't it bother any of you that the rule is stupid? No, I'm not going to buy a $100 life vest to save $3 but I shouldn't have to. The airline industry should either decide that CO2 cartridges are safe and allow them on the plane or decide that they are unsafe and not allow them. I kind of see this the same way I see bike fees. The airlines have decided to charge exorbitant fees for bikes on planes. A massage table is the same size and weighs more and is subject to an oversize bag fee of $20-50. The bike fee is anywhere from $75-200. It makes me crazy thinking about it. I guess that they are their planes so they get to make the rules but I don't have to like it. Where I work we have a new rule that popped up in the last month or so. It serves no purpose. It doesn't make things better or safer or more efficient. As near as I can tell the only purpose of the rule us to aggravate employees. I have asked our administrators why and their only response is, "because it is the rule......" I told them that is somebody makes up the rule that we have to eat poop every day at work that I'm not doing it just because it is a rule. They did not think that was funny. Anyways. I have now spent way too much of my life on this.

True story.....when I was a young Police Officer we used to have "stupid ticket day" once a month on my squad.  We'd pour over the statute manual and find some ridiculously obscure law to enforce that day.  I remember "Two spotlights on vehicle" as being one of them.  I could never bring myself to actually write a ticket for whatever dumb law we happened to decide to enforce, but I'd stop people and tell them about the violation.  Those conversations were always a hoot and it was hard to tell sometimes who was having more fun.....me explaining the dumb law or the motorist telling me how ridiculously stupid the law was.  I always looked forward to it because it was a fun day.

Stupid rules don't bother me.  I follow them, make fun of them, laugh about them, etc.  The absurd stuff in life is usually some of the best of it.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-12 10:03 PM
2014-05-13 6:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Doesn't it bother any of you that the rule is stupid?

No, I'm not going to buy a $100 life vest to save $3 but I shouldn't have to. The airline industry should either decide that CO2 cartridges are safe and allow them on the plane or decide that they are unsafe and not allow them.

I kind of see this the same way I see bike fees. The airlines have decided to charge exorbitant fees for bikes on planes. A massage table is the same size and weighs more and is subject to an oversize bag fee of $20-50. The bike fee is anywhere from $75-200. It makes me crazy thinking about it.

I guess that they are their planes so they get to make the rules but I don't have to like it.

Where I work we have a new rule that popped up in the last month or so. It serves no purpose. It doesn't make things better or safer or more efficient. As near as I can tell the only purpose of the rule us to aggravate employees. I have asked our administrators why and their only response is, "because it is the rule......" I told them that is somebody makes up the rule that we have to eat poop every day at work that I'm not doing it just because it is a rule. They did not think that was funny.

Anyways. I have now spent way too much of my life on this.

2 different things here, the bike fee is per the airline. They don't want to be bothered handling large packages, but if you pay them enough money they will.

The CO2 cartridge is regulated by the FAA correct?

Should they allow it for life vests - probably not.

The CO2 cartridges are safe to put on an airplane, its the potential in 2 different cases.
1) fire- If heated they will over-pressurize and could shoot off causing a hazard.
2) Potential to make a weapon- I'm thinking inflator, co2, duct tape and a pen and I could make a weapon out of this that would kill someone.

complain if you must, but it is a reasonably not to allow them. If anything they should eliminate it for life vest and prosthetics as well.
2014-05-13 11:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster Doesn't it bother any of you that the rule is stupid? No, I'm not going to buy a $100 life vest to save $3 but I shouldn't have to. The airline industry should either decide that CO2 cartridges are safe and allow them on the plane or decide that they are unsafe and not allow them. I kind of see this the same way I see bike fees. The airlines have decided to charge exorbitant fees for bikes on planes. A massage table is the same size and weighs more and is subject to an oversize bag fee of $20-50. The bike fee is anywhere from $75-200. It makes me crazy thinking about it. I guess that they are their planes so they get to make the rules but I don't have to like it. Where I work we have a new rule that popped up in the last month or so. It serves no purpose. It doesn't make things better or safer or more efficient. As near as I can tell the only purpose of the rule us to aggravate employees. I have asked our administrators why and their only response is, "because it is the rule......" I told them that is somebody makes up the rule that we have to eat poop every day at work that I'm not doing it just because it is a rule. They did not think that was funny. Anyways. I have now spent way too much of my life on this.

I don't think the rule is stupid because if you are to bring a life vest, you need to declare it when going through security, which will bring much more attention to yourself.  If you're a terrorist, bringing on CO2 with a life vest is likely a stupid idea. 

So should we allow everyone to bring on CO2 so long as you declare it when going through security?  I'd rather not allow it so that security lines move faster.  Can you imagine if you're on a flight with 50 other athletes all bringing CO2 with them to and from the race destination?  I'd much rather pay the $3-6 to buy CO2 at the race site then deal with the additional wait.  Not to mention all the other passengers who would have to wait who have nothing to do with the issue.

The number of people who will actually bring a life vest with them along with CO2 onto a plane is very small.  Especially when considering many flights don't even travel over major bodies of water.  So the incremental time to examine those cases are somewhere between slim and none.

So the way I see it, you have some rules that actually make sense as far as airplane safety, and you have some rules that are simply in place to make TSA's job easier and security lines flow faster.

2014-05-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: rcwso

A couple people mentioned that if a flight doesn't go over a major body of water it would be odd for someone to bring a life vest. My assumption is that people that are bringing inflatable lifevest are to have them at their final destination. Like recreational fisherman, kayaking etc. It is not people that thisnk they need to be safe.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CO2 Cartridge on Plane Question updated or current? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

CO2 cartridge question

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1136 Posts: 6

2009-08-24 11:35 AM curegirl

CO2 cartridges...

Started by Rad-Onc PA
Views: 1445 Posts: 11

2008-10-01 4:20 PM Aikidoman

PSA: CO2 cartridges

Started by getsome
Views: 1113 Posts: 8

2007-04-05 8:49 PM jackjack

Are all CO2 cartridges the same?

Started by ertman
Views: 4343 Posts: 8

2006-08-12 10:04 PM KathyG

CO2 cartridge pump thingamajiggers....

Started by kimj81
Views: 1096 Posts: 22

2004-09-01 12:17 AM ODogg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?