General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First swim in a wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-05-11 5:49 PM

Subject: First swim in a wetsuit
I went for my first swim in a wetsuit today and didn't have a good experience. I had planned for a friend to come along with me in his kayak to keep me safe but that didn't work out so I brought my wife to the dock to watch me swim in a secluded cove on the local lake. I knew this was a TERRIBLE idea before hand, but I have an Olympic tri next weekend and needed a trial run in my wetsuit and didn't have any other options.

I bought the correct size for all of the measurements that I took. When I got going it seemed really tight around the neck and shoulders. I was never able to get completely comfortable in the water.

How long does it take to bet used to swimming in a wetsuit? Do you think most of my concerns were from being in the water alone?

I am wondering if I should skip the tri next weekend and do more training in the wetsuit. I need to do a wetsuit tri before July as I am planning to do the HIM in Racine, WI

2014-05-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: First swim in a wetsuit
Getting a good fit can be pretty difficult. My first wetsuit (a Zoot fusion) fit pretty well but I just never really dug swimming in it. My best guess as to why not is that I have a long torso and that the suit was always tugging at my shoulders. During this off season I took my time and bought, by trial and error, a two piece suit that fits me much better. I think that the knowing what I was looking for and having the time to make a better, more informed purchase made the difference.

With that said, think about the swim again and now that you know what the suit feels like, you might have a different opinion on your second swim. The first swim I ever did in a wetsuit I really felt like I could not get my lungs fully expanded That feeling went away with subsequent swims. it does take some time to get used to, but it may be true that your suit just doesn't fit correctly.
2014-05-11 7:00 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

New user
Key West
I had the same experience in my long sleeved wet suit. Almost did not get through the swim portion of the tri I swam in it because I couldn't take a deep breath and hyperventilated and also felt like my shoulders were impaired from moving properly. I got the "correct" fit by the charts, but even with major efforts to make sure I adjusted the suit to get as much room at the top as possible and also getting it wet inside (which helps a lot most of the time) I just couldn't make it work. So, I went back to my sleeveless suit. I don't race in super cold water though.
2014-05-11 7:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Did you soak it for a good 24 hours before using it so it could take on water, I always soak my suits overnight before use and for a full day before the first use of the year, they will loosen a bit with time and repeated use, that being said I have both a sleeveless and a full suit both from the same company and both the same size, my preference 8 out of 10 time is to go with the sleeveless over the full suit as I just feel more
comfortable in it and find it so much less restrictive in the upper body as I am rather large chested and broad shouldered, even if I do give up a little bit of speed over the full suit the comfort factor takes precedence unless the water is freezing cold.

My guess is though that you did have some anxiety about the swim going in and that could have exasperated the problem some.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-05-11 7:12 PM
2014-05-11 7:17 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

Yeah, it has already been said, but getting it wet will make it more plyable. I made the mistake of not soaking my wetsuit prior to using it for the first time last season. Part of it may be mental, I would suggest going back this week before your race or the morning of before the swim start. Don't try to swim, rather focus on getting into the lake and relaxing. Float on your back some, play around like your a kid. Get comfortable.

2014-05-11 7:24 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
One of the best quotes I ever saw here on BT a while back was about a new user to wetsuits. A veteran poster said something like, "a fart in a wetsuit runs around like a chipmunk looking for the escape hole".

Maybe that thought will help you relax? :-D

2014-05-11 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
It wasn't until my 2nd triathlon in my 2nd season (4th triathlon ever) that I got through an entire swim without getting panicky and feeling like I couldn't breathe (with or without a wetsuit). So, it could be the wetsuit just doesn't fit well, it could be that you need more experience with open water swimming, it could be that you just need to relax more. Much of that comes from experience, and you don't get experience by skipping a race that you've already paid for. Go race, try to relax, try to look at it as a learning experience, and try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Have a great race!
2014-05-11 8:36 PM

User image

, North Carolina
First swims in a wetsuit can be uncomfortable. They should be tight up around the neck (not to the point that they are restricting your breathing though) but they really shouldn't restrict your swim motion in the shoulders too much. It will obviously be more restrictive then a sleeveless or not wearing one at all, but I think you will find that once you get a few swims in it, you will feel more comfortable. Not to mention the added benefit of free buoyancy. It will loosen up a little bit just by wearing it, but I wouldnt expect it to loosen up that much, to the point that it is really that noticeable.
All this being said, not all suits fit alike. I tried a couple of different brands before purchasing. One brand in particular didnt fit me at all, so, hopefully you are not in that situation.
2014-05-11 9:13 PM

User image

Did you pull everyhting up far enough (arms, legs and torso) You need to pull them farther up then you would think.
2014-05-11 9:31 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Master

Originally posted by bigevilgrape Did you pull everyhting up far enough (arms, legs and torso) You need to pull them farther up then you would think.

I was told to pull the crotch up high enough so that you feel somewhat violated...that gives much more room at the shoulders.  When you think you have it pulled up enough: pull it up a little more.  I usually end up having the legs of the suit a ways up my calfs when I have it right. 

2014-05-12 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Watch some youtube videos about properly putting on a wetsuit.

2014-05-12 9:27 AM

User image

Miami
Are you sure you put your wetsuit on correctly?

I also used to feel my wetsuit very tight around my shoulder and neck area until a friend helped me put the wetsuit on properly. When you think you are done, try to pull your wetsuit up more starting from your knees and thighs. When you think you are done again, bend down and pull it up more from your belly area until your shoulders and neck. I had no idea I was able to give my shoulders and neck that much more room by just simply wearing my wetsuit correctly.
2014-05-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

The last tip that I got and this applies to the full arm suits is to not let the sleeve stop at your wrist like you think would be natural. Instead pull the sleeve up where you have 1 to 2 inches of wrist showing and then pull that extra material you just created up to your shoulders and arm pits. This will give you extra material in the shoulders and more range of motion.

Ron
2014-05-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4994730

Thank you to everyone for all the great tips!!
2014-05-12 2:46 PM

User image

This is completely normal and to be expected. You will find that the first open water swim/wetsuit swim/ride on the bike outdoors of the season = SUCK.

Just keep doing it every single chance you get and it will become no big deal. (I know because I did the EXACT same thing on Saturday and had to make myself get back in the water on Sunday!)

Patti in NJ
2014-05-12 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4994978

I stopped pulling up on the torso after I got it over my waist. I will definitely soak it before my next swim and will make sure I pull the top portion up more too.

Thanks for the encouragement from everyone!

2014-05-13 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4995244

Sounds like a combination of anxiety and even the correct size wetsuit not put on correctly will cause issues!
Spend a good 10 mins fitting the suit work everything up to the crotch once shoulders arms in work matrrial on arms upto the armpits when zipped up workmaterial from the waist upto the neck front and back.
Like anything practice makes perfect so keep with it defo get a swim buddy or swim at location with water support.
2014-05-13 9:30 AM
in reply to: mickb68

Ardmore
I have my first open water swim practice coming up this Sunday, the 18th, and had planned on soaking the wetsuit.

Curious, do you guys use cold or hot/warm water? Or just fill up the tub, drop it in and grab it back out later?

junr
2014-05-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: junr

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Originally posted by junr

I have my first open water swim practice coming up this Sunday, the 18th, and had planned on soaking the wetsuit.

Curious, do you guys use cold or hot/warm water? Or just fill up the tub, drop it in and grab it back out later?

junr

I always use cold water. Fill the tub enough to "cover" the wetsuit (it will float). Let it soak for an hour or so, then turn it over and repeat. Then hang it up to dry. You want the lining to basically feel dry, or it will be harder to put on. The rubber acts like a sponge and still stays pliable even when the lining is dry.
2014-05-13 10:06 AM
in reply to: HillSlugger

Ardmore
Thanks Hillslugger - I'll soak mine over the next few days.

I have to cut the legs this week too.

have a great day all!

junr
2014-05-13 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4995388

When you put it in to soak do you have it the correct way or inside out?

2014-05-13 6:14 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Originally posted by ARtridad74

When you put it in to soak do you have it the correct way or inside out?

I do it right side out, but I doubt that it really matters.
2014-05-14 7:49 AM

Baltimore, MD
I have my first wetsuit race coming up this weekend. There are a lot a great tips in here about putting the wetsuit on and getting the fit right. What I'm most concerned about is getting it OFF!

I'll have all the time in the world to get it on and get it adjusted, but when I get to T1, I'll want to get it off quickly. Any tips for that? I've got a rental sleeveless suit for this race. When it arrived, I tried it on and it seemed to fit OK. Getting into it wasn't too bad, but getting it off sucked. It got hung up at my feet. I have big feet and big heels and I had a hard time getting the last bit over my feet (peeling it off inside out). Granted, this was with me being dry and the suit being dry, so I don't know if being wet will make it better or worse. In addition, I'll have a timing chip on my ankle on race day to contend with.

Any tips for quickly getting out of the wetsuit? Thanks.
2014-05-14 8:10 AM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by schaumi

I have my first wetsuit race coming up this weekend. There are a lot a great tips in here about putting the wetsuit on and getting the fit right. What I'm most concerned about is getting it OFF!

I'll have all the time in the world to get it on and get it adjusted, but when I get to T1, I'll want to get it off quickly. Any tips for that? I've got a rental sleeveless suit for this race. When it arrived, I tried it on and it seemed to fit OK. Getting into it wasn't too bad, but getting it off sucked. It got hung up at my feet. I have big feet and big heels and I had a hard time getting the last bit over my feet (peeling it off inside out). Granted, this was with me being dry and the suit being dry, so I don't know if being wet will make it better or worse. In addition, I'll have a timing chip on my ankle on race day to contend with.

Any tips for quickly getting out of the wetsuit? Thanks.

As you leave the water reach back and get the suit unzipped. As you run to transition, work the top portion of the suit off of your torso and push it down to your waist. When you reach your bike, pull the legs down to your feet. Place one foot on the bottom of the suit and step up and out with the other foot. Once the first leg is free, repeat this with the other foot. Be sure to get your suit out of the way of others before you head out on the bike.
2014-05-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

Miami
Great advice from tedjohn, he explain you exactly what to do to get it off after you get out of the water.

One more thing though, remember to apply body glide generously in your elbows, wrist, knees and ankles (neck too, but that is to avoid chaffing). I have a size 12-13 feet and I had many issues get my wetsuit off until I started to put A LOT of body glide in my ankles especially, after that, the wetsuit came out easily.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First swim in a wetsuit Rss Feed  

of 1