General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 13s
Overall Rank = 341/430
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/33
Pre-race routine:

The night before, we had an engagement party for Jacqueline and Eden and while I tried to be good, I probably had one beer too many. Woke up at 5 with a migraine. I took some meds and went back to bed for 30 minutes. At 6, I had 1.5 servings of oatmeal and berries. On way to race - I enjoyed a large-iced blue berry coffee (stupid - more on that later. Next time - go with small).

Got to park, laid out my gear (piles for run, bike swim. Waited until 7:50 to get into wet suit and didn't put on top. Went for a dip in the lake and it made all the difference. Last year, I had trouble getting my breath. Getting in prior to the race was a great suggestion from Peter Turner. After 5 minutes, I was as calm as if I were swimming at the pool. Also used ear plugs which helped. Then I spent the next 10 minutes practicing my transitions. I think it makes sense to follow this order in T1: Suit off. Sit down to put bike shoes on (no socks) stand up - put on bike shirt (this was next to impossible with a wet back. Need to take 10 seconds in the future and dry off), gloves, slide iphone and gu's into pocket. It would also help to switch on map my ride prerace to speed up process.). Also checked to make sure bike was in lowest gear. made decision not to put arms in wetsuit until just prior to race.

Next time: gu taped to handle bars, a pre race pee
Event warmup:

No real warmup other than getting in the water. Might want to think about it.
Swim
  • 09m 59s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Made sure to be at the front of my waves line to get in the water first to acclimate to the cold. It worked. The start was rough. I got kicked in the face 4 times really hard. I was watching out for bubbles but I kept running into people who were sticking their head up and then kicking hard to start. Really frustrating.

I also didn't really push it. This was a training race so I never pushed it to a point where I was out of breath.
What would you do differently?:

To avoid the kicks to the face - start up front. I'd rather people move out of my way then keep getting kicked in the face.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

So frustrating. Despite the practicing - I couldn't get my bike shirt down over my back. Grr. It literally took more than 2 minutes to make it happen. The suit came right off. Like idea of sitting down to put on shoes.

Spend 10 seconds toweling off my back. It will also help that I should be a little lighter for my next race. Tape my gu packets and gloves to the handle bars. I wonder if I could just wear my bike shirt.
Bike
  • 47m 4s
  • 8.3 miles
  • 10.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I intentionally rode really slow hoping to not tire myself out for the upcoming week of training but I didn't realize I was going as slow as I was. I kept it in the small gear. I drank every five minutes. Had a gu coming out of transition and one just before T2. Chain also came off on last hill.I wore my old bike pants and they worked fine.

I don't know. I really wasn't racing. Just riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I felt like T2 was great. Decided not to put on socks.

Need to practice transitions during brick workouts
Run
  • 30m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Again - I didn't push this. I didn't walk much - maybe a minute. One thing that slowed me down was the fact that I hit the bathroom as I ran by it. Why suffer if you're not racing? Passed 5 people in last 200 yards - that was cool and maybe highlight of my race - including a collegiate female.Last year I completed 5k in 27:59 so it was slower.

With the uphill at the beginning - it pays to save the effort until close to the end.
Post race
Warm down:

I enjoyed a brat - so good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably desire not to push it and limited training this winter.

Event comments:

This is one of my favorite races. The only thing I wish is that it wasn't on mother's day.

Last updated: 2014-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:59 | 440 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/33
Overall: 238/430
Performance: Average
Suit: Extera 4
Course: Starts at dock. A straight shot. 4 buoys and then out at the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:04 | 08.3 miles | 10.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/33
Overall: 308/430
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: A changed course due to construction that went in opposite direction. We actually ended up in hopkinton and cross BM start line.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:54 | 03.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/33
Overall: 369/430
Performance: Below average
Course: Course - in and out of hopkinton state park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-12 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

2014-05-12 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4995102

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

Nice job on the race David! FYI..I wear my tri top underneath my wetsuit. You may be slightly chilled to start but it rarely lasts...

2014-05-12 4:23 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon
Originally posted by thor67

Nice job on the race David! FYI..I wear my tri top underneath my wetsuit. You may be slightly chilled to start but it rarely lasts...

I think that has to be the way to go. I was so frustrated when I couldn't get it on. I know it sounds crazy but I knew if I forced it - I would rip it. 2 minutes lost. so frustrating. I think I will embrace my inner Thor, drink a molson, and wear my bike shirt next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

Started by mpento17
Views: 1236 Posts: 3

2011-05-10 10:37 AM mpento17

Started by bergerman
Views: 1283 Posts: 1

2011-05-08 7:08 PM bergerman

Started by littycm
Views: 1442 Posts: 3

2011-05-09 6:34 AM littycm

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1609 Posts: 5

2011-05-09 8:50 AM Rudedog55

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2204 Posts: 11

2011-05-09 10:46 AM running4beer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 21, 2012
author : sallyddrake
comments : 0
Off-Season thoughts for new triathletes including indoor training, Computrainers, heart-rate training and strength training.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.