Set Up Events
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 11s
Overall Rank = 42/229
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/21
Pre-race routine:

slept in greenville sc and made the drive to the Y in the morning. had steel cut oats, coffee, banana, and pomegranate juice. 1 hour out had anti-fatigues and at 15 minutes out took 1st gu roctane.
Event warmup:

got through packet pickup and checked in at 6:30. took bike for a 3 mile ride then swam 250 meters.
Swim
  • 14m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started on shore in the middle but broke to the right side and swam a straight line to the buoys. I was focused on keeping my breathing slow and every 3rd stroke. Normally i go out too hard in the 1st 100 and I am gassed through the swim. After the 1st 300 I had a steady pace and picked the speed up slightly to have my best open water swim ever. You could easily take 1:30-2:00 minutes off the swim time to account for the run up the hill and around the backside of transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I ran too hard up the hill, passing 6 people which left me a little gassed in transition. I almost fell over trying to get my wet suit off. I took my second roctane and left transition

Nothing
Bike
  • 30m 12s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.85 mile/hr
Comments:

My best bike of the year. My training was riding the ravenell bridge in charleston and doing a spin class. very hard to replicate hills but that training and bontrager aeolus wheels made for a great bike. Took my last roctane with 1 mile to go. I used bontrager aeolus wheels for this race.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

struggled to rack the bike, decided to yardsale my gear. got moving and out on the run.

not yardsale
Run
  • 21m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of t2 and immediately was anaerobic. I knew there were some strong runners in the field and that my swim and bike had put me in good shape to finish near the top if I could hold the run. At the hill I was slowed to almost near walk and got passed by and age group. I picked up the pace coming back and then pushed hard coming up the last hill but went to hard and started puking. 2 more people in my AG passed me and I came to the finish with a good time.

I have started interval training because my run is stuck and is now holding me back in my AG.
Post race
Warm down:

Found a corner and puked for about 15 minutes. but that's how I know I raced hard enough. motto "blow up or throw up!" then got a massage and had some pizza and a coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my running ability.

Event comments:

To me this is the crown jewel of the SCTS. This race is also very special to me as this is the course that I did my first triathlon on back in 2008 and it was my 1st time to race it since then. I was able to shave 14:03 off my time from then.

Last updated: 2014-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:15 | 750 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/21
Overall: 58/229
Performance: Good
Suit: nineteen tsunami
Course: course is 300 meters out, 150 meters parallel to shore, and then 300 meters back in. water was flat. if you breathe on your right side then the last 300 you will have the sun in your eyes. (supposedly a buoy broke loose and drifted causing some people to swim extra)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:12 | 11 miles | 21.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 27/229
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The bike is a one loop 11 mile course in quiet rural roads. There is one short but steep grade at mile 2 1/2. From there the course rolls until a long downhill at mile 9. Road surfaces are good and traffic is light. Turns are marked with orange pavement arrows and orange directional signs. Police and volunteers will man each intersection.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:49 | 03.1 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 84/229
Performance: Average
Course: The run is an out and back 5K course. There is a gradual downhill for the 1st mile before a short but very steep grade at mile 1.3. From there it is to the turn around on the very flat East Beach Dike. A gradual one mile ascent takes runners back to the finish line at the YMCA.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes