BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-05-14 4:07 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)

GROUP FOCUS: I invite folks wanting just GENERAL guidance but would also welcome more experienced athletes that want to take the plunge into LONG COURSE racing 

NAME: Birkierunner  -  Jim Kelley  

STORY: I’m a 53 year old wildlife biologist that has been involved with endurance sports for over 35 years. In high school I was co-captain of the x-c team, ski team, and track team. After racing in college a little bit I spent many years just doing maintenance running mileage with no racing goals in mind, with an occasional 10k – I basically wasted my 20s and 30s as far as competing. A friend of mine convinced me to race the 51 km American Birkebeiner x-c ski race in 1997 and that is when my endurance racing kicked back into high gear. I ran my first marathon in 1998, and qualified for and ran Boston in 1999. I’ve done a ton of road racing over the years, 10 marathons, with 8 of them being sub-3 hours (2:51 PR), one 50 mile and one 50k ultra. I still race x-c skiing in the winter. I got a little bored with marathons, and did my first triathlon (Olympic) in 2005 (actually podium-ed in my AG on the first try!). I followed that up with a half-ironman a month later and did Ironman Wisconsin the next year. I'm focusing on Ironman racing now and have managed to complete 7 of them so far with a recent 10:20 PR (6th AG) in November 2013.  I’ve been fortunate to be able to compete at a fairly high level even at the ripe old age of 53.

FAMILY STATUS: "Single" but in a relationship for 3 years with a woman that has a 5-year old so I'm familiar with the challenges of training while considering family time.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training that past few years has been focused primarily on the Ironman distance but I race frequently at the Olympic and half-ironman distance.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I raced a half marathon in April just as a fitness check and managed and AG win and 18th overall.  In early June I will be doing a half ironman as a prep race for my goal IM race in August. 

2014 RACES:  Local races plus Ironman Mont-Tremblant (Aug)

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight loss has not been an issue for me. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  After being involved with endurance sports for so many years I think I’ve experienced it all…training, racing, injuries, success, disappointments (sometimes huge), time management, coping with lots of business travel, etc. Hopefully my experiences can benefit someone that is just starting out, or someone who has some experience but wants to get to the next level. I am a certified USAT Level I Coach and I’m an Associate Coach with E3 Training Systems. I have been a BT mentor several times in the past and have found that the group’s success depends entirely on how much the members participate.

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-05-14 4:11 PM

2014-05-18 10:21 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)
Hi Jim,
Thanks for inviting us over from the last group! Looking forward to seeing who else will join this new group! Training is still going really well. I had a nice 40 mile bike ride yesterday and today I swam 1600 and then ran 10m. The guy swimming laps next to me at the pool said "you must swim a lot, you have a lot of endurance!" -- it made me smile because the swim has always been my weakest leg and so it was nice to hear that at least from an outsiders perspective, I'm starting to look more like a distance swimmer! I had some soreness in my knee and elbows after my long bike ride, so I'm finally getting my act together and going in for a bike fitting. I have it scheduled for later this week and I'm hopeful that it will make my rides a bit more enjoyable and efficient!

Hope everyone else is doing well with their training! This week I am going to focus on improving my nutrition, with all of the end of semester parties and graduation events I've been attending I think I've been eating around 90% sugar and carbs. Here's to more veggies and lean proteins and continuing to meet the goals on the training plan.

Oh, and here's my intro from the last group for new folks to see:

NAME: username: tiffanyosh, First name: Tiffany

STORY: I''m a professor and psychologist from California who was very averse to all forms of sports and exercise before graduate school and then caught the running bug. I was an avid (not to be confused with rapid) runner during graduate school starting with some 5 & 10Ks and quickly moving to half marathons which I loved. I've averaged two half marathons a year for the last 7 years or so and it's been nice but I got a little bored and didn't want to/couldn't commit the time to training for full marathon so decided to try my first tri. I did a sprint tri in the summer of 2011. I absolutely loved it, and loved my mentor group but started working at a new university that had me working about 60+ hours a week and I moved away from my local pool and training outside of running all but disappeared. I've been wanting to get back into triathlons since then but have had difficulty with access to pools and illness/injury. I've finally gotten the pool situation sorted and I've registered for a tri this summer, but it's quite a bit longer than that sprint I did before. I'd love to have a place to check in, ask questions, and keep track of progress.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to an awesome guy who does not swim, distance run, or have much time for biking and maybe thinks I'm a touch crazy for wanting to do a HIM.

CURRENT TRAINING: I did a half-marathon in November and spent December - March building a solid base (despite a spate of several colds/flus/and sinus infections) but I've been healthy now for a few months and I've been able to be consistent with my 16 week training plan for my HIM. As of today, I'm 10 weeks away from my event!

KEY 2013 Races: Clarksburg Country Run 1/2 Marathon Time 2:10 - 10minutes slower than previous year.

KEY 2014 RACES: Barb's Race 70.3 Tri in July - Clarksburg Country Run (1/2 Marathon or 20 miler) in November

WEIGHTLOSS: I try not to focus on weightloss. My BMI is in the normal range and that's all that matters to me there, but I would like to work on having better nutrition. I'm a sucker for awful food and beer, particularly on Sundays when I'm hanging out in the park with my drinking er softball team. I know if I want to be healthy and successful in my HIM I'm going to have to be more consistent with the basics like eating vegetables and drinking water -- which can be surprisingly challenging for me despite being a vegetarian.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I really love the process of training for and completing a triathlon and I'm good at helping encourage others through the process. I have a good sense of the basics of triathlon at least at the sprint level, but I'm sure I'll have some questions about applying all of that to the 70.3 distance. Also, I like to have fun and it seems like this group does too!
2014-05-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tiffanyosh Hi Jim, Thanks for inviting us over from the last group! Looking forward to seeing who else will join this new group! Training is still going really well. I had a nice 40 mile bike ride yesterday and today I swam 1600 and then ran 10m. The guy swimming laps next to me at the pool said "you must swim a lot, you have a lot of endurance!" -- it made me smile because the swim has always been my weakest leg and so it was nice to hear that at least from an outsiders perspective, I'm starting to look more like a distance swimmer! 

Great to have you continue with the new group Tiffany.  Sounds like your training is going really well.   I hope others in the winter group found the archived thread and decide to continue with us in the summer thread.  I think when people aren't racing (as in when we were doing the winter/spring thread) it is harder to keep engaged in the mentor threads so maybe we can get a little more activity going now that the weather is warmer.

2014-05-19 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I am in again.

Do you want me to post bio again??
2014-05-19 10:25 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 I am in again. Do you want me to post bio again??

Sweet.  Yeah, let's post bios because I'm sure we will have some new folks joining the summer thread.  Thx

2014-05-19 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
a little about myself

Name- Matt

Age- 30 & Married with no Kids

History-

This is my 5th season of triathlons and endurance sports. I have completed several olympics, half marathons and one HIM.

2014 Schedule-

04/26/2014- Ocean City Half Marathon- 1:57:59 and a PR

06/29/2014- Challenge Atlantic City Aqua/Bike

08/17/2014- Ironman Mont Tremlant

This year I will be taking the plunge into my first Ironman and I am really excited and also very nervous about it.

Why I want to be a part of this group-

Birkie, I feel like you always offer great advice on the Forums and I know you have raced IMMT before and will be there with me to race this year and I would like to learn as much as possible about IM distance training and racing so I can successfully finish IMMT.

Training Plan-

I will be starting Don Fink's Competetive Program on 1/21/14. This off season I have been doing some Crossfit and other Cross Training to mix things up a bit so I didnt burn myself out prior to starting my training program.

I look forward to being part of this group and learning with all of you.

2014-05-20 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Name- Ben

Age- 35, Married w/ 2 girls (ages 6 & 3)

History- I started racing triathlons in 2005 out of a desire to be more active. After my first (and only race in 2005) I was hooked. I have taken a couple years off (significantly de-focused) as kids came into my life and again when I was building the house we now live in. I have completed 55+ races, from Sprint through HIM, Half marathons and marathons, just missing the OA podium on a couple of occasions and I am really looking forward to this year of racing

2014 Schedule-

5/24 – Apple Duathlon
6/7 – Lake Crystal Duathlon
7/19 – Duathlon Nationals
8/2 – Lakefront Days Triathlon
Oct – Marathon or possibly 25k or 50k trail race

My goal race of the year is Du Nat’s, with the goal of qualifying for Team USA again. The “negotiations” remain open on whether or not I would take my spot, as the World Championships for 2015 are in Australia, and would be a blast to attend and race. Depending on the answer to the question “Am I qualified/going to race World Du’s?” will most likely answer the question of when is the first Ironman – 2015 or 2016

Why I want to be a part of this group-

I have known Jim for a few years through racing with him, and have always appreciated his insight and thoughts on racing. He has always been great to bounce ideas off of, and always welcomes a challenge. I will also be utilizing this group to bounce off ideas for both racing and training and look forward to some great conversations!

Training Plan-

I am using one that I have cobbled together over the past few years, with an emphasis on speedwork/short course racing TY, yet building to LC race for fall

2014-05-20 10:43 AM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Pro

Originally posted by benihana Name- Ben Age- 35, Married w/ 2 girls (ages 6 & 3) History- I started racing triathlons in 2005 out of a desire to be more active. After my first (and only race in 2005) I was hooked. I have taken a couple years off (significantly de-focused) as kids came into my life and again when I was building the house we now live in.

Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!  So glad you decided to join the group.  I have missed chatting with you at Apple Duathlon the past couple of years.  I'd like to join you there and at DU Nat'ls but as I mentioned to you it just doesn't fit into my schedule.  I decided to do Liberty HIM in a couple weeks in prep for IMMT.  Nice to have you as a new member.

2014-05-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by tlettis 2014-05-20 7:00 PM
2014-05-20 2:28 PM

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by benihana Name- Ben Age- 35, Married w/ 2 girls (ages 6 & 3) History- I started racing triathlons in 2005 out of a desire to be more active. After my first (and only race in 2005) I was hooked. I have taken a couple years off (significantly de-focused) as kids came into my life and again when I was building the house we now live in.

Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!  So glad you decided to join the group.  I have missed chatting with you at Apple Duathlon the past couple of years.  I'd like to join you there and at DU Nat'ls but as I mentioned to you it just doesn't fit into my schedule.  I decided to do Liberty HIM in a couple weeks in prep for IMMT.  Nice to have you as a new member.

It would have been great to be able to catch up with you at Apple or Du Nats, but I completely understand as the races you are targeting don't make sense for you to attend either Apple of Nats. I was tempted to sign up for Liberty, but I have made a conscious decision to not swim and to focus more on running/biking based on the races I have coming up and will be getting into the water for the first time in 6 months over memorial weekend, I thought my swimming might be a little sub-par to race a HIM early in the season
2014-05-20 2:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Double Post

Edited by benihana 2014-05-20 2:29 PM

2014-05-20 4:03 PM
in reply to: benihana

Hey Jim - I'm back too. I'll post my bio a bit later tonight. Great weather has arrived here in the NY metro area. Today was my long run day, so I ran a HM - felt pretty good for the first 12.5 miles, but the last 0.5 miles got me. I stopped by home at the midpoint for a honey stinger waffle, a bottle of water and a bottle of clif's electrolyte mix - that was super helpful, but I could have used some aid stations for the back half of the run. I felt myself fading going into the last couple of miles, and that last half mile was up a hill - and that's what finally got me. Overall, my legs and knees feel pretty good - and I'll definitely sleep well tonight.

My first race of the season is fast approaching - Syracuse 70.3 in 33 days. Then IMMT in 89 days!

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday.

2014-05-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Pro

Originally posted by LarchmontTri Hey Jim - I'm back too. I'll post my bio a bit later tonight. Great weather has arrived here in the NY metro area. Today was my long run day, so I ran a HM - felt pretty good for the first 12.5 miles, but the last 0.5 miles got me. I stopped by home at the midpoint for a honey stinger waffle, a bottle of water and a bottle of clif's electrolyte mix - that was super helpful, but I could have used some aid stations for the back half of the run. I felt myself fading going into the last couple of miles, and that last half mile was up a hill - and that's what finally got me. Overall, my legs and knees feel pretty good - and I'll definitely sleep well tonight. My first race of the season is fast approaching - Syracuse 70.3 in 33 days. Then IMMT in 89 days! Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday.

Glad to see another winter group peep staying on for the summer!

I have to fly to Atlanta today for a short meeting tomorrow and then fly home tomorrow night.  I have to get in a 16 miler early in the morning before the meeting which is good because I won't be used to the daytime heat down there.  Not a big fan of 4 a.m. runs though.....

2014-05-21 8:10 AM

Expert
Lakeville, MN
now that is dedication....I still bet that the 4am run is hotter/more humid than a lunchtime run up here Good luck, and make sure to pack the compression tights
2014-05-21 1:02 PM

Yowzers, 4am run?! And here I was struggling with the 5:45 wakeup today. Good luck and hope you're able to beat the humidity!

2014-05-21 5:16 PM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

Master
Crab Cake City
Another Wednesday Triathlon day in the books.

5:45am- Masters Swim

4pm- 45 minute Z2/Z3 ride

3mile brick run afterwards in a cool, slight drizzle. It felt amazing!!

Last week or two my training has really been off due to some work and family stress that got my head all in a big bind. It's amazing what stress and other situations in life can do to derail your training so easily. Glad its all over with and back to the normal training regimen.

2014-05-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Greenville, South Carolina
I'm back too.

NAME: Elizabeth / hotalinge

STORY: I'm 32 and I've been a runner since high school cross country. I first considered triathlons in college but didn't do my first sprint until 2010. I did 2 sprints that year, followed by a sprint and an olympic in 2011 and my first half iron in 2012. I did my first marathon and another HIM in 2013 and qualified for Team USA for ITU long course worlds for 2014… I'm excited about that but nervous because 1) it involves getting my bike to China and 2) the longest I've done is 70.3 and ITU long course is approaching iM distance (2.5 mi swim, 70.8 mi bike, 12.4 mi run).

FAMILY STATUS: Married, but no kids yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: 2 weeks into a hybrid of the 20-week HIM and 20-week IM plans… built a pretty good base over the winter so I'm doing longer bikes and runs than the plan calls for so far

2014 RACES:
Mar - Asheville (NC) marathon
May - Tour de Cashiers metric (with 8400 ft of climbing), local sprint, Assault on Marion, Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mi open water swim in Charleston, SC
June - maybe another local sprint?
August - USAT Olympic Nats???, Blue Ridge Breakaway (metric or english century???)
September - ITU long course worlds
2014-05-21 10:40 PM

hey guys -
I would like to join group.

quick brag, I mean bio -

Ricardo Ramirez
42 years young
raised and live in San Diego, Ca.
married with 4 children, 3 whom still live at home.
5'8" coming it at 160lbs

Competition has always been in my blood. I have achieved and accomplished various goals in my life. Enlisting as a Military Police Officer for the United States Army Reserve at the age of 20, I quickly learned that being physically active and athletic was a key part in life to achieving various goals. Boot camp graduation fitness scores were 122 push-ups in 2 minutes, 90 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and a 2 mile run in just under 11 minutes. I did not stop there. Once assigned to my unit, 40th Military Police Company, I quickly became the highest scoring member on physical fitness tests. I was given the opportunity to become a US Army personal trainer and group exercise leader fitness instructor. Upon completion of the course, I would fall into the top 10% of the class. Later, I would enter and complete my first marathon, the 1998 Los Angeles Marathon followed shortly by completing the Marine Corps Mud Run and many other events followed. Being physically and mentally challenged kept me moving and motivated.

I enjoy challenging myself anytime the opportunity presents itself. I often hear "you run too fast", "I don't want to get hurt", or "you need to slow down, your getting old" when I tell or invite others to do what I do. To me, its never been to "challenge" others. To me, the challenge has been against myself. I have not done anything in life to be "better" than anyone. I have simply set my own challenges to overcome. I want to improve on a daily basis and I am not letting age be a factor. I am not running against others, I am running against myself, my limits, my handicaps, my setbacks, and my "set goals".

I am new to triathlons, but have embraced the challenge as I have any other challenge I have taken on. full speed ahead!!! I am looking for the help and advise from you guys who have been there, done that to help me be the guy who has been there done that.

my strong point - running. I can run a 7 minute mile for a good 5 to 7 miles today.
my mid point - bike ride. not my strongest, not my weakest. I have a specialized transition expert as my weapon.
weakpoint - the swim! distance is my enemy when it comes to the swim. I have taken adult swim classes to try and help with technique and I am now seeking a swim coach to help fine tune my stroke and breathing.

family and work took me off the circuit for a while, but as the kids got older, and the job turned career, I decided to slowly make my comeback. I own and teach a JiuJitsu school on the side. there is nothing like being 42 years old and showing the 20 year old kids what it feels like to old and in charge!! I have fun teaching and enjoy the challenge.

Personal achievements:

Personal Protection Course - 10-30-1991 Firearm and hand to hand combative course
Military Police School Grad - 06-14-1993 Bravo Co, 787 Military Police Battalion
Ca. POST Certified - 09-15-1994 Ca. Peace Officer Standards and Training
Army Cert of Appreciation - 07-20-1996 Ground security, 1996 Republican Convention
Army Cert of Achievement for PT - 10-24-1996 Scored in excess of 300 points on PT test
Advanced Officer Tactical Training - 03-08-1998 Advanced weapons and retention course
Army PT Instructor Certificate - 03-05-1999 Army Personal Trainer and Group PT Leader
Rank of Purple Belt in Jiujitsu - 09-20-2013 Tested under Professor Roy Harris

At 38 I participated in and helped win the Score Baja 1000 in Unlimited Class 1

At 39 I competed in the 2011 Race for Autism, and placed 79th out of 800. 8th in age group category.

At 40 I competed in the 2013 Tough Mudder So-Cal #1. A 12 mile obstacle challenge and finished in under 2.5 hrs

At 41 I competed in the Atlas 5 mile Obstacle Course placing top 10% overall placing 2nd in mens 40-44 age group.

At 41 I competed in the 2014 Race for Autism, and placed 55th out of 900. 6th in my age group.

anyways................ enough about me...... its time to start getting the help from my new friends.

goals - 2014 tri rock Olympic in san diego in September.
future goals - work up to 70.3 and then the ultimate granddaddy of them all - the Kona IM!! (I can dream big, right??)

2014-05-22 8:42 AM
in reply to: rramirez1

Master
Crab Cake City
Excited to get a new fit done on my Tri Bike tonight and a new saddle. Should be coming home with a Cobb Plus just in time for a 60mile ride on saturday around the Eagleman Course.
2014-05-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: rramirez1

Pro

Originally posted by rramirez1 hey guys - I would like to join group. quick brag, I mean bio - Ricardo Ramirez 42 years young raised and live in San Diego, Ca. married with 4 children, 3 whom still live at home. 5'8" coming it at 160lbs Competition has always been in my blood. I have achieved and accomplished various goals in my life. Enlisting as a Military Police Officer for the United States Army Reserve at the age of 20, I quickly learned that being physically active and athletic was a key part in life to achieving various goals. Boot camp graduation fitness scores were 122 push-ups in 2 minutes, 90 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and a 2 mile run in just under 11 minutes. I did not stop there. Once assigned to my unit, 40th Military Police Company, I quickly became the highest scoring member on physical fitness tests. I was given the opportunity to become a US Army personal trainer and group exercise leader fitness instructor. Upon completion of the course, I would fall into the top 10% of the class. Later, I would enter and complete my first marathon, the 1998 Los Angeles Marathon followed shortly by completing the Marine Corps Mud Run and many other events followed. Being physically and mentally challenged kept me moving and motivated. I enjoy challenging myself anytime the opportunity presents itself. I often hear "you run too fast", "I don't want to get hurt", or "you need to slow down, your getting old" when I tell or invite others to do what I do. To me, its never been to "challenge" others. To me, the challenge has been against myself. I have not done anything in life to be "better" than anyone. I have simply set my own challenges to overcome. I want to improve on a daily basis and I am not letting age be a factor. I am not running against others, I am running against myself, my limits, my handicaps, my setbacks, and my "set goals". I am new to triathlons, but have embraced the challenge as I have any other challenge I have taken on. full speed ahead!!! I am looking for the help and advise from you guys who have been there, done that to help me be the guy who has been there done that. my strong point - running. I can run a 7 minute mile for a good 5 to 7 miles today. my mid point - bike ride. not my strongest, not my weakest. I have a specialized transition expert as my weapon. weakpoint - the swim! distance is my enemy when it comes to the swim. I have taken adult swim classes to try and help with technique and I am now seeking a swim coach to help fine tune my stroke and breathing. family and work took me off the circuit for a while, but as the kids got older, and the job turned career, I decided to slowly make my comeback. I own and teach a JiuJitsu school on the side. there is nothing like being 42 years old and showing the 20 year old kids what it feels like to old and in charge!! I have fun teaching and enjoy the challenge. Personal achievements: Personal Protection Course - 10-30-1991 Firearm and hand to hand combative course Military Police School Grad - 06-14-1993 Bravo Co, 787 Military Police Battalion Ca. POST Certified - 09-15-1994 Ca. Peace Officer Standards and Training Army Cert of Appreciation - 07-20-1996 Ground security, 1996 Republican Convention Army Cert of Achievement for PT - 10-24-1996 Scored in excess of 300 points on PT test Advanced Officer Tactical Training - 03-08-1998 Advanced weapons and retention course Army PT Instructor Certificate - 03-05-1999 Army Personal Trainer and Group PT Leader Rank of Purple Belt in Jiujitsu - 09-20-2013 Tested under Professor Roy Harris At 38 I participated in and helped win the Score Baja 1000 in Unlimited Class 1 At 39 I competed in the 2011 Race for Autism, and placed 79th out of 800. 8th in age group category. At 40 I competed in the 2013 Tough Mudder So-Cal #1. A 12 mile obstacle challenge and finished in under 2.5 hrs At 41 I competed in the Atlas 5 mile Obstacle Course placing top 10% overall placing 2nd in mens 40-44 age group. At 41 I competed in the 2014 Race for Autism, and placed 55th out of 900. 6th in my age group. anyways................ enough about me...... its time to start getting the help from my new friends. goals - 2014 tri rock Olympic in san diego in September. future goals - work up to 70.3 and then the ultimate granddaddy of them all - the Kona IM!! (I can dream big, right??)

Geez, Ricardo...what a slacker....totally kidding of course.  You're very welcome to join our group and look forward to seeing you apply your enthusiasm as you tackle longer tri distances.

2014-05-23 9:51 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

Pro

Originally posted by hotalinge I'm back too. NAME: Elizabeth / hotalinge STORY: I'm 32 and I've been a runner since high school cross country. I first considered triathlons in college but didn't do my first sprint until 2010. I did 2 sprints that year, followed by a sprint and an olympic in 2011 and my first half iron in 2012. I did my first marathon and another HIM in 2013 and qualified for Team USA for ITU long course worlds for 2014… I'm excited about that but nervous because 1) it involves getting my bike to China and 2) the longest I've done is 70.3 and ITU long course is approaching iM distance (2.5 mi swim, 70.8 mi bike, 12.4 mi run). FAMILY STATUS: Married, but no kids yet. CURRENT TRAINING: 2 weeks into a hybrid of the 20-week HIM and 20-week IM plans… built a pretty good base over the winter so I'm doing longer bikes and runs than the plan calls for so far 2014 RACES: Mar - Asheville (NC) marathon May - Tour de Cashiers metric (with 8400 ft of climbing), local sprint, Assault on Marion, Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mi open water swim in Charleston, SC June - maybe another local sprint? August - USAT Olympic Nats???, Blue Ridge Breakaway (metric or english century???) September - ITU long course worlds

Great to have you continue with the group Elizabeth!

2014-05-24 3:16 AM

Sooooooooo... question to you strong swimmers. as mentioned in my bio - my weak link is the swim. I have been practicing and practicing 2 to 4 times a week when allowed by time (see my logs). on my strokes I have tried breathing on my 4th stroke, on third stroke and on my second stroke to try and find a good cadence so I don't end up out of breath or gasping for air mid lap. although I can manage to swim at least 1000meters with small lap pauses on my swim days, it seems non stop with no breaks I am only good for 100 to 150 meters tops before I feel I need a break (even if its a 5-10 second breather). I have great cardio, so I know it has to be me powering too hard or something?

I have tried to find Neo from the Matrix to try and hook up to a machine that would down load swim lessons and be an expert in a matter of seconds, but that has not gone too well. stick to the old fashion way I guess - lots of advise, lots of practice.

while I am very aware that without being in the pool with me you guys can only give me so much advise..... what I am looking for is how you guys came to be the good swimmers your are today. thru years of practice? from private lessons? swim coach? natural talent?

September 21 is my Olympic date and although I don't think so, I want to make sure I am not starting off too big (by not doing the sprint). I know I am physically capable of doing it. I just don't want to destroy my strong points by wasting myself in the beginning (the swim).

I am a fast learner, and take all the advise I can. I have gone from no freestyle experience 1 lap in the last two months to working up to those 1000m+ swims - but only in a pool. I will start my open water training in the next couple weeks (nervous, I have a reliable source that says pool water and open water taste different!!)

2014-05-24 9:05 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm very much new to the triathlon scene, but would love to join the group. My info is below.

NAME: Emily/ereed83

STORY: I am 31 and training for my first triathlon. I've been running for about 5 years, have done 2 marathons, 3 half marathons and lots of shorter distance. I used to be on swim team as a kid so have the swimming basics, but haven't swum in years. I've had a road bike for about a year and my long rides are up to 35 miles. On a whim, I signed up for a half-ironman distance triathlon (not through ironman so not sure what it should really be called??) put on by a race management company I have done 5Ks with.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Finishing out week 1 of 20 week training plan from beginnertriathlete.com. Building up endurance and speed on bike, maintaining on running. Struggling with breathing on swimming still, more huffing and puffing than I'd like to have.

2014 RACES:

May - Local 5k
June - Local 10K
July- Tour de Donut (35 mile bike race/fun ride)
September - MS 150 (bike), Olympic Distance triathlon
October- Half-ironman distance triathlon
December- Marathon

2014-05-24 9:12 PM
in reply to: ereed83

Pro

Originally posted by ereed83 Hey everyone, I'm very much new to the triathlon scene, but would love to join the group. My info is below. NAME: Emily/ereed83 STORY: I am 31 and training for my first triathlon.

Welcome to the group Emily!!  Sounds like you have a fun schedule of events this summer!

2014-05-25 9:52 AM

Hey all...bio to come (sorry for the the delay on posting it). Picked-up my daughter's cold this past week (her entire class and teachers all had it), so I missed a few days of training mid-week last week. I was hoping for a big week last week leading into Memorial Day weekend, but it just wasn't to be.

I did a 3 hr indoor ride yesterday with a couple of Inspector Lewis (Masterpiece Mystery) episodes keeping me company. I was hoping to ride outside, but it was raining again. My legs felt ok, though they had a bit less zip in them that I thought they were going to have, but it was a decent ride. I upped the resistance and tried to simulate some hills...and that was really tough, but good training.

It's great weather here in the NY metro area today and I plan to run 7-10 miles later this pm and tomorrow morning (assuming the weather cooperates), hoping to get outside for my first(!) outdoor ride of the season. My first race is in late June, so it's about time that I get outside for some real riding, eh?

Anybody racing this weekend? Or perhaps next?

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31