BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-11-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
I HATE Continental tires. I have zero luck with them. My Gatorskins had 3 flats in 500 miles and one of those had to replace the entire tire. Figured I would give them another shot and picked up 2 GP4000S II and had to do the walk of shame today. The side of the tire blew out. I had about 300 miles on it. Oh well guess they weren't meant for me

2014-11-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

For everyone having troubles with motivation at this time of year I impart these little bits of advice:

1) It's okay to be lazy and indulge a little during the off season that's why they call it the off-season (unless you're in the southern hemisphere and it's summer). Just remember not make your off season last all season. 

2) Now is the time to start thinking about next year's goals. For me, I can't just willy nilly decide to do events just because I feel like it. I spend a few weeks in fall researching different and interesting events that I want to do. I workout the timing and details as much as I can and then once I've established what events I'm doing, I decide how much training it will take and then work back from there to determine when my off season has to end (I'll outline below how I develop my yearly plan for anyone interested). I recommend everyone try working on their yearly goals and if you feel like you need motivation to train now, pick an event early in the year so you have a reason to start training. Looking at cool events you may want to do will also help to motivate you. 

3) This one is the biggest motivator for me to stay off the couch. Every year that I get older the ceiling of physiological capability comes down a little bit. Sure its a very slow process but someday I might not be able to finish an IM (or some other event) let a lone do it in a certain time. (It also takes seven years of training to reach 90% of your physiological potential regardless of age and I want to hit that ceiling while it's still relatively high). I still want to be fit enough when I'm 70 that I can run an IM but I really don't want to bank on that. We all have something that could come back and bite us in the a$$ , whether it be a genetic issue (my family has a history of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and heart arrhythmia) or some injury suffered long ago that could become a chronic problem as we get older (I once smashed my back really badly on a concrete floor when I was 7 or 8 and it's plagued me all my life and I'm sure it will only get worse as I get older). That's not even accounting for the unforeseen things that can arise. You've got the health and the ability to do what you want now. Therefore, now is the time you should be doing it. The overall point is to really figure out why you want to be active. Is it because you love the sport? Is it because you want to be healthy? Ideally, the more reasons you have, the more motivated you'll be. 

Here's my goal setting and yearly plan process:

In September I stop structured training and start riding my bike, running, and exercising for leisure.

In early October I spend a few weeks doing almost nothing at all. During that time I spend some time every night on the internet researching different events and pondering what my goals will be for next season. I've decided that next summer I'm going to race the Ontario Cup Road Races, a provincial race series here in Canada. We have categories 1 though 4, (similar to US which has 1-5) and everyone starts in 4. My big goal for the year is to 'cat-up' to level 3 by the end of summer (last year it was IMMT), which requires 30 points earned by placing in races.

Once I figured that out, I went through the 8 O-Cup races that take place every summer. looked at the course profiles, routes, results from the last year and picked 3 or 4 that suited my strengths the best. Then I worked out how many training hours I could afford to allot weekly to training then worked out how many weeks of training I would need. Counted back that number of weeks from my first A-race and set that as my training start date. 

Then I used the Cyclist's Training Bible to figure out what I needed to work on and how I wanted to spend each training session to improve my weaknesses. (I never get on the bike or do a workout unless I know exactly how that workout is helping me to improve).

Results so far:
I tested my FTP and LTHR before I started training and I tested again yesterday (my last day of the first four week base period) and I had an increase of 34w. My FTP went from 220w to 254w in four weeks of structured training. Today I start the second base period. 

I am highly competitive so I put a lot into the details of training and take it über seriously. Obviously not everyone has to do that, but I urge everyone to make it a goal to be stronger, faster, [lighter?] than last year. Seeing tangible evidence of improvement is amazing for a person's self esteem. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-11-24 11:19 AM
2014-11-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Originally posted by thor67

Guess I guess I am in the gettin' fat and lazy club.

Went for a run on the track this morning...been awhile. Thinking about how to get it in gear.

This is what I came up with:

The 10-20-30 challenge for December.

I challenge everyone to 30 workouts in December!

Rules:

1. run/swim-minimum of 10 minutes
  2. bike minimum of 20 minutes
  3. beer penalties-warm crappy beer for every workout you miss.
  4. bonus workout day-November 30, just because!

There you have it. I have shortened all the s/b/r portions to make it easier for everyone to get back in the habit! 40 minutes in on day and you have 3 workouts! Plus if you start running for 10 minutes, you will probably run for 15 etc. etc.!

I'm in.

I spent an hour or so today looking at races and planning out next season. lake George is out because the date is too close to my IM so I will do it the following year. I am doing 2 sprints, 1 with my brother in law (his first) 1 with my brother (also his first). I'll do an oly (colonial) and a HIM (tbd) in addition to my full in October. Also signing up for rock and roll marathon in april, and I have a half in Jan. Sounds like a great season
2014-11-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by b2b14

I spent an hour or so today looking at races and planning out next season. lake George is out because the date is too close to my IM so I will do it the following year. I am doing 2 sprints, 1 with my brother in law (his first) 1 with my brother (also his first). I'll do an oly (colonial) and a HIM (tbd) in addition to my full in October. Also signing up for rock and roll marathon in april, and I have a half in Jan. Sounds like a great season

Personally, I like two half-distance races in the build to a full - an early one, to build confidence, and then a test race 6 or 8 weeks out, so you can nail down your nutrition (and for me, still have time to fix issues that may arise). The early marathon build sounds great, since it shouldn't interfere with the actual triathlon training build.

I'm still trying to sort out my calendar for next year. None of my anticipated races will sell out early, so I have plenty of time, and most of it depends on life stuff.
2014-11-25 7:23 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

question for those knowledgeable about bikes. I am currently riding an older aluminum cervelo. My brother needs to buy a bike since he is going to do beach to battle next year. I was thinking of selling him mine and getting a '14 p3 or '15 p2 maybe a '15 p3. were there significant changes from 14 to 15?
2014-11-25 8:07 AM

User image

It looks like they've made some small frame modifications and added a Di2 option. 

2014-11-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

New user
Madrid
Kevin, good to hear you are now drinking wine (and not forgetting beer!), it is a great world, almost as interesting and fun as triatlon.

I'm in for the December challenge, just what I needed.

To start jumping from the couch, I already signed up in two events for 2015: Half Maraton Feb 1 and HIM May 31st. Rest of them will depend on family issues and work.
2014-11-26 6:30 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14 question for those knowledgeable about bikes. I am currently riding an older aluminum cervelo. My brother needs to buy a bike since he is going to do beach to battle next year. I was thinking of selling him mine and getting a '14 p3 or '15 p2 maybe a '15 p3. were there significant changes from 14 to 15?

I have been drooling over these bikes!.  The only change I'm aware of between the 14 and 15 P2 is they changed from 10 speed to 11 speed Shimano 105 components.  The P3 is the exact same frame as the P2 but the fork and cockpit are different.  I don't think they made any changes on the P3 except for paint.  They are all capable of running Di2, but you can only buy the P3 with it on already.

If you are looking to save money I would go with the '14 P2.  It is super fast and a really good value.  You get 90% of a P3 for 60% of the money and you can always upgrade the cockpit and be almost identical for less.  But you can't go wrong with any of them the are sweet and fast bikes.

2014-11-26 2:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

My Stages power meter arrived today. The bolts need to be tightened between 12-14nm. I don't own a torque wrench so I used math and constructed the world's first redneck torque wrench. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-11-26 2:30 PM

(IMG_5392.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_5392.JPG (1412KB - 9 downloads)
2014-11-26 4:07 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Alan,

Thank you for the off season motivational tips. I also like to plan out my races for the year with a goal of at least one per month.

Happy early Thanksgiving for those who are celebrating! I plan on a 10k Turkey Trot to burn off some calories before the feast. Stay moving!

2014-11-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by adempsey10

My Stages power meter arrived today. The bolts need to be tightened between 12-14nm. I don't own a torque wrench so I used math and constructed the world's first redneck torque wrench. 

Alan you torque wrench is fantastic! As an engineer I am impressed by your ingenuity, utilization of available materials, and application of theory!

2014-11-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Expert
Hi BDASers: Happy thanksgiving! So much to be thankful for.

I ran a 5K today and ran fairly well considering that I'm only running about 10 miles a week. I finished in 33:33. If I had know what my eldest son was less than a minute ahead of me (he usually finishes under 25 minutes, I would have pushed it a little more.

I'm starting to get back on the horse (starting is the operative word) and I have worked out consistently now for a week. I've also been doing my PT work and feel fairly good. My calf is recovering (I tore it a month ago) and I didn't feel it at all today. So that is something to be thankful for.

I signed up Rev3 Maine (now called - Challenge Maine) and that will be my A race for next season.

Enjoy the day everyone!
2014-11-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Alan,

Thank you for the off season motivational tips. I also like to plan out my races for the year with a goal of at least one per month.

Happy early Thanksgiving for those who are celebrating! I plan on a 10k Turkey Trot to burn off some calories before the feast. Stay moving!

Mark - I agree with the need to sign up for races that come around every month. If I don't have something staring me in the face, it's hard to work up the interest! What are you going to sign up for? More half marathons?
2014-11-27 2:01 PM

User image

Expert

Went for a run on the track this morning...been awhile. Thinking about how to get it in gear.

Rules:

There you have it. I have shortened all the s/b/r portions to make it easier for everyone to get back in the habit! 40 minutes in on day and you have 3 workouts! Plus if you start running for 10 minutes, you will probably run for 15 etc. etc.!

I was recently voted President of the Fat and Lazy Club! Welcome!

I'm down for the 10-20-30 challenge. Who else is with us?
2014-11-27 2:10 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17

Rules:

I was recently voted President of the Fat and Lazy Club! Welcome! I'm down for the 10-20-30 challenge. Who else is with us?

Can I be the social convenor?

2014-11-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Originally posted by SportzVision

Originally posted by kevinbe

Beer Drinkers-

Been a long while. I fell off the tri training map for a long while. Health and life issues caught up to me.

Just checking in.

Wish we had a like button...nice to return to see my ol pals!
Lets do this!

With Thor, Cynthia, and Kevin posting on the same page, all we need is Big DH and we'd have the origional crew back together again.

Kevin - So glad to see you back buddy! It's been a while. Good luck getting back on the horse.

Cynthia - thanks for the good wishes. I've had a better week but I'm still in the doldrums... Speaking of - time to go make the Gravy!

2014-11-28 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well tomorrow, I am heading over to a friends house to conquer a "SNOWCASE"!!

Basically it is a 24pk from my favourite brewery(Phillips in Victoria, BC). It is 24 different beers they produced over the past year!! The tend to lean towards the hoppier side...I think I have only seen one fruit beer...sorry David.

Might be a tough go Sunday to get the bonus day on the 10-20-30 challenge!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2014-11-29 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Rules:

I'm in.

I am in
2014-11-29 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by kevinbe

Beer Drinkers-

Been a long while. I fell off the tri training map for a long while. Health and life issues caught up to me.

Just checking in.

Wish we had a like button...nice to return to see my ol pals!
Lets do this!

With Thor, Cynthia, and Kevin posting on the same page, all we need is Big DH and we'd have the origional crew back together again.

Kevin - So glad to see you back buddy! It's been a while. Good luck getting back on the horse.

Cynthia - thanks for the good wishes. I've had a better week but I'm still in the doldrums... Speaking of - time to go make the Gravy!

Its good to be "home".
Going through the race planning process this morning. Is it bad to stick with the races I did last year? Four Olys and one sprint. I want to add the HIM at the end, any recommendations for a first HIM? If planned well I can travel.

2014-11-29 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I start my new job on Monday. I really need to remember not to go to the University but take an earlier exit and go to the community college. I have no idea what to expect there but one thing I know is that I will be learning an entirely new process that I have minimal experience in when I start.

I feel like I am taking on a lot but I won't know it until I am in it. Starting a new job, classes at the University still and training in addition to my 140 mile round trip drive. Think I am going to go for it and see how things work out. I do know I will need to stop this half in half out stuff in order to complete and meet my goal of doing a half. I have to get serious again about training with a focus.

Good luck to you all and Happy Holidays!
2014-11-29 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Hope everyone is working though the post season slump. I have started running again and plan to hop on the bike and in the pool next week. I am thinking of buying last years p3 since the new ones are out and the old ones are on sale. My brother needs a bike so I am going to sell him my current one.

Anyone want to do a challenge for Dec? Maybe a weight challenge, just don't add any weight. Weigh when you wake up on Dec 1 and when you wake up on Dec 31. Don't have to put actual weight on here if you don't want to, but cout put -1, +1 ect for updates. Seems like a somewhat easy challenge to get us going again

I like this challenge as well. I am in!

2014-11-30 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by b2b14 Hope everyone is working though the post season slump. I have started running again and plan to hop on the bike and in the pool next week. I am thinking of buying last years p3 since the new ones are out and the old ones are on sale. My brother needs a bike so I am going to sell him my current one. Anyone want to do a challenge for Dec? Maybe a weight challenge, just don't add any weight. Weigh when you wake up on Dec 1 and when you wake up on Dec 31. Don't have to put actual weight on here if you don't want to, but cout put -1, +1 ect for updates. Seems like a somewhat easy challenge to get us going again
I like this challenge as well. I am in!
I am in as well!

2014-11-30 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

chalk up a bonus workout on the road to 30 with a 24 minute run today...

2014-11-30 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
Hello all! Belated Happy Thanksgiving!
It's inspiring to see so much activity over this last week that I've taken off! Everyone is starting their planning for next season. It's great! My husband and I are thinking of hosting a sprint tri for some friends at our family's camp next summer - course is already mapped out. Just a fun thing and folks will be camping out. If anyone happens to travel to upstate NY in the beginning of August (still firming up the date) and wants to join, it would be fun. Bonfires, barbecue, and beers after on the shores of Lake Champlain.
I've been bummed about taking a week off with a messed up knee. I think I did too many spinning classes (4) in a week using running shoes instead of bike shoes (my clips are different), along with two runs. My knee didn't care for it. I think it has to do with my foot not being able to move at all on the spin bike as opposed to being able to turn my foot ever so slightly on my bike pedals. I don't know. Regardless, I clearly need to use my trainer and my own bike more and maybe spin only once a week.
Swimming has been my favorite and I've been able to keep a couple swims in a week doing at least 2,000 yards (except this past week). I haven't been great about keeping my training log up for the last few weeks but I'll get back on it.

I'm liking the challenges - both the weight loss/maintenance and the modified s/b/r. I'm in for both. Missed out on the bonus day as I'm just seeing this at 23:00 tonight.

Cheers!
Jenn
2014-11-30 11:23 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
I forgot to ask, does a ski day count toward the workouts? ??
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50209 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19329 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.