General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a roof rack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-15 5:42 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: Looking for a roof rack
So I'm tired of looking like a complete n00b with my $40 Wal-Mart trunk rack.

Obviously I want to look pro like all the cool kids out there and get a roof rack. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2014-05-15 6:37 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Looking for a roof rack

Are you set on a roof rack or have you thought about a hitch mount?  I have a Thule T2 and really like it.  It is easy to load/unload the bike and I don't have to remember it is on top of the car before a low clearance area.  I park in a parking garage at work and it sure would suck to have to unload my bike every time I park or forget it is on top.

2014-05-15 6:45 AM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by csharp1171

Are you set on a roof rack or have you thought about a hitch mount?  I have a Thule T2 and really like it.  It is easy to load/unload the bike and I don't have to remember it is on top of the car before a low clearance area.  I park in a parking garage at work and it sure would suck to have to unload my bike every time I park or forget it is on top.

I've thought about it, but my car ('06 Honda Civic) doesn't have a hitch. I know I can get one installed (or do it myself) for reasonably cheap.

I guess I just figured roof rack was the way to go.
2014-05-15 7:03 AM

User image

Regular
I have had one of these on my Accord for the last 7 years and it is still going strong.
http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-594xt-sidearm.asp
2014-05-15 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Dunn Right

I've thought about it, but my car ('06 Honda Civic) doesn't have a hitch. I know I can get one installed (or do it myself) for reasonably cheap.

Expect your gas consumption to go up over less miles significantly.
2014-05-15 7:51 AM

User image

Regular
Newport News
I have a Honda CRV and went with the Yakima Universal Fork Lift unit. Like it. The front fork holder locks which is nice. I throw a cable and lock around the bikes and car roof rack too if I have to leave the bikes on the rack for a while. I did make two modifications to the Yakima to fit the CRV roof rack. The first one was to shim the outter side on the bracket to get the bikes to sit straight up. The cross members on the roof rack had a slight curve to them, The other was to trim the ends off the Yakima bar so my hatch back could raise all the way. I put my longest bike up there and calcuated what i needed. The end caps popped off and I cut them. When I put the end caps back on I added a screw into the bar to secure them. i am real happy with the set up.

(bike rack.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike rack.JPG (797KB - 9 downloads)

2014-05-15 10:30 AM

Baltimore, MD
Do you ever carry more that one bike? If so, roof rack might be a good option. If not, I'd say stick with the trunk mount.

I have Thule roof bars for two of my cars and I use the fork mount trays. When I started driving my wife's Civic more, I thought about getting the Thule bars for that car. Then I saw the price. I decided to get a $60 single bike trunk mount instead. That's the car I drive to work, so if I'm going for a ride after work I can quickly hook up the trunk mount and toss on either my road bike or my mtb. My wife's car has the wide cross bars and three trays if we're going for a family ride.

My wife's car is also the best for going to REI. That's where all the cool kids with roof racks hang out.
2014-05-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: isyphoto

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
I'll second the Thule Sidearm Rack. I have used two of them on a Chevrolet Equinox for about three years. I carry both road and mountain bikes at least a couple of times each week. They aren't the cheapest racks but they work great.
2014-05-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

User image

New user
This is my first bike season without a pickup and I am looking into roof racks. Not looking at trunk mount or hitch mount. I cannot spend $500 on a rack so I am looking at cheaper options. I came across this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231220987055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trks... I

I am curious to see if anyone else has gone this route. The first thing is how universal is it? will it scratch or dent my car and will it fly off when going 70 mph. seeing how this might stack up to thule and yakima
2014-05-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
I have these from Rocky Mounts. I like them. Plus they come in fun colors, which always makes it easy to find my car in the lot! Anyway, easy to use, very easy to open and close, keeps the bike stable and works for my entire fleet - road, tri and mountain. If I was just carrying mountain bikes, I'd get side arm racks, but I feel road bikes are more stable on fork mounts.

http://www.rei.com/product/795486/rocky-mounts-pitchfork-bike-mount

Edited by MechEChick 2014-05-15 12:08 PM
2014-05-15 12:26 PM

User image

Exton, PA
If you park your car in a garage you may just want to stick with the trunk or hitch mount. Many people forget their bikes are on the roof and drive right in

2014-05-15 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4996457

Tylermaylone has one for sale in the classified forum.
2014-05-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4996694

I have a Thule peloton for sale. $80 + shipping. Let me know! I need it to sell ASAP!!!
2014-05-15 2:26 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by mike761

If you park your car in a garage you may just want to stick with the trunk or hitch mount. Many people forget their bikes are on the roof and drive right in

I keep one of my Vineman wrist bands (the lap counting ones) in my car. Every time I mount up a bike I wrap it around my rear view mirror, which also happens to be where the opener is. Keeps me from driving the garage. Though I did go through a drive thru once. Got lucky that it was a high clearance one!
2014-05-15 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4996730

Ps I've had roof racks for years. I don't know how anyone forgets their bike is up there. I've driven in high crosswinds here in West Texas and it doesn't affect it at all. I didn't like trunk racks because I was afraid to be rear ended and destroy the bike(worth more than my car).
2014-05-16 6:14 AM
in reply to: tylermaylone

User image

Regular
Newport News
Originally posted by tylermaylone

Ps I've had roof racks for years. I don't know how anyone forgets their bike is up there. I've driven in high crosswinds here in West Texas and it doesn't affect it at all. I didn't like trunk racks because I was afraid to be rear ended and destroy the bike(worth more than my car).

Funny story. A certain realtor with a pro cyclist son had several expensive bikes on his trailer hitch. Yup, got rearended and took out about $12,000 of bikes. He said never again and got the roof rack. First drive home with the bikes on top, yup right into the garage and took off the bikes as he drove in! When I leave with the bikes on top I always put a small garbage can in my spot in the garage. When the door goes up it reminds me "bikes on top" I like having the top rack. Easy to get to with my CRV and like having the rear hatch still available. I can see pros and cons to both, Guess it depends on your car and what your needs are.

2014-05-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Chicago, Colorado
Originally posted by bcagle25

Cagle, by how much are we talking? I'm also looking at roof racks, probably yakima. I have a subaru forrester. I didn't get the roof rack that it comes with, so I'm looking at the footpods, crossbars, and then two fork mounts. The lady drives it about 40 miles to and from work each day, so any hit to the gas mileage will be felt acutely more. I was just curious how much.

Also, don't have a hitch, but I guess I could consider it. I just like the idea of the bike being firmly held onto the car with the fork mounts instead of just sitting on a platform, or on a trunk rack.
2014-05-16 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Bicycle Outfitters Indy is having a sale on all racks right now just FYI. 20% off using code CAR_RACKS, free shipping too. Was looking to upgrade my Thule carrier and get two instead of the single carrier I have now so I took advantage of this.  Didn't find lower prices anywhere else except REI's 20% off coupon but that is for a SINGLE item where this is for the whole order.  

http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/category_s/2678.htm

2014-05-16 9:59 AM
in reply to: cjohns716

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by cjohns716
Originally posted by bcagle25

I've thought about it, but my car ('06 Honda Civic) doesn't have a hitch. I know I can get one installed (or do it myself) for reasonably cheap. I guess I just figured roof rack was the way to go.
Cagle, by how much are we talking? I'm also looking at roof racks, probably yakima. I have a subaru forrester. I didn't get the roof rack that it comes with, so I'm looking at the footpods, crossbars, and then two fork mounts. The lady drives it about 40 miles to and from work each day, so any hit to the gas mileage will be felt acutely more. I was just curious how much. Also, don't have a hitch, but I guess I could consider it. I just like the idea of the bike being firmly held onto the car with the fork mounts instead of just sitting on a platform, or on a trunk rack.

I get about 2-3mpg less on my '10 VW GTI

2014-05-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by mike761

I fix this problem by removing the door opener from my car when I put the bike on top. And I am always nervous about it up there, so I never forget it is up there.

REI just started their anniversary sale and have a bunch of car racks on sale.

http://www.rei.com/s/car-rack-deals

2014-05-16 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4996741

Just buy a set of foot pods, the bars, and I have the rack to mount to square bars. $90 shipped bro. Excellent condition. Thule peloton. Think about it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a roof rack Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for a Roof Mounted Rack

Started by dmiller5
Views: 2105 Posts: 8

2013-09-04 11:09 AM djmtrier

Saris Roof Rack

Started by toby 71
Views: 668 Posts: 3

2006-05-18 7:41 AM Daremo

Performance Xport roof rack - parts rusted

Started by Renee
Views: 779 Posts: 1

2005-03-23 12:26 PM Renee

Roof rack choices?

Started by JGFTri
Views: 1175 Posts: 15

2005-02-27 8:57 AM Stake

In need of a roof mount bike rack

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1575 Posts: 8

2004-03-10 10:44 AM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!