United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 4s
Overall Rank = 6/849
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/31
Pre-race routine:

We woke up around 3:30 am. I wanted to be on the road by 4:20 but with two kids nothing ever happens on time. It is about an 1:15 drive down to Ottawa so once we got going it didn't take to long. We weren't sure what parking would be like around downtown so I wanted to get there with plenty of time. We found parking easy. Mulled around for a while before the race was suppose to start. Was glad I had the wife there with both boys because I kept my clothes on over my running stuff to stay warm. It was probably only 49-51 Degrees that early in the morning. A lot of the runners being shuttled to the start were cold. With about 15-20 minutes till the start I shedded my clothes and gave the wife and boys a kiss for good luck and lined up behind the full marathoners.
Event warmup:

Did about a half mile jog around a couple blocks but that was about it.
Run
  • 1h 25m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I signed up for the race on the last day possible. The wife mentioned it to me to sign up because the marathon I ran a couple weeks before I had a very terrible race and was disappointed. Wasn't sure if it was a good idea at the time to run this but, I thought what the hell?!? The race started off good. I had forgotten my HR monitor at home and just decided to run it by feel.(maybe I should start doing this more often!) Right at the start four people really took off pretty good. I had to back myself off some to not blow up early. I was then passed by two real young teenagers and they were having a great time it seemed as well. Once they passed me I was never passed by anyone else. I was trying to stay around a 6:45-6:50 pace for the first 7-8 miles or so to see what I had left later on. First mile came in at like a 6:33. Woops! Either way I felt great!

I could tell right away during the early part of the race I was having a much better day compared to my marathon. My stomach felt fine and my legs were great. I had brought two gels with me and took the first one at mile 4.5 or so and the second around the one hour mark give or take. I wasn't laboring hard at all during the race for the most part as well. I ended up catching one of the guys who took off to hard at the start around mile 9. He was fading pretty good it seemed. I think he might have got caught by another person or two before the finish. There course was almost 4/10 of a mile short as well. Everyone I talked too who had GPS at the end said the same thing. Kind of wish it would have been closer to the right distance so that I could really see what my time was. I dropped 4:25 off my PR. If it would have been true to distance I think it would have been more like 2 minutes and change.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I think. I could have went harder the last couple miles but, I was in cruise mode at that point and didn't really want to have sore leg muscles the next few days! The two teenagers who were ahead of me were to far for me to get so I just went with it. No one was even close to me behind me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Did some stretching and chatting with the winners and a couple other runners. Found the wife and boys. Tristan was covered in mud(he's just like his dear ole dad!). The wife wasn't very happy with him though...lol. Found out they were not doing AG awards it sounded like so we took off!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing I think. Just didn't want to have sore muscles the next few days.

Event comments:

Overall it was a good race. I gave them a 3 due to the distance being short. If you have close to a thousand people running you really have to have the distance closer IMHO. Otherwise they did an awesome job with all the races. Plenty of volunteers and the people who came out to cheer were great!

Glad I decided to pull the trigger and get myself a little mental redemption over my bad marathon a couple weeks ago.

Last updated: 2014-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:04 | 13.1 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 6/849
Performance: Good
Course: Start was in downtown Ottawa, IL. The finish was about 3-4 miles east of there at a harbor on the Illinois River. You start out going west about 4-5 miles and go around a cone and run the route in reverse. There was one decent hill you had to go back up as well. You then run back into downtown and make your' way towards the finish line out east of town. Fairly flat for the most part. Only a couple small climbs here and there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes