BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-29 3:45 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)
For all you gadget guys I have a question.

It looks like I am in the market for a new bike computer because I finally liberated and replaced the battery from the rear wheel sensor on my bike, but it is still not working. That means no speed and distance info (on the trainer where I do most of my riding), I still have cadence but because of the no speed and distance part the computer screen keeps going into sleep mode.

So I am a gadget dunce. I know how to turn my computer on and do what I need to do and that is about it. I have an iPhone 5 and use the runkeeper app when I run and ride outside and I have a timex triathlon watch with heart rate strap (which I never use).

My question is should I just buy a new wireless bike computer or should I bite the bullet and buy a basic GPS watch that I can connect to a cadence sensor on the bike? lets say I have a budget of around $3-400, would this even be enough for the second option, if I sourced it online? If I go the watch way I would prefer something smallish that I can wear all day like I currently do with my timex if possible. I like numbers so would having this sort of data be a helpful motivation with my training?

2014-07-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hi... Um... can I come back??  Pretty please? 

I know I've been seriously MIA lately, and I'm really sorry for that.  I really have no good excuse either... it's been quite the bumpy ride so far, and it's not over yet - I'm hoping it will get better though. 

I've missed you guys.   

Once you're in, you're in forever, from what I hear. I hope all is well or in the very least is getting better. Time is the great equalizer, take some and relax if you can.

2014-07-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK For all you gadget guys I have a question. It looks like I am in the market for a new bike computer because I finally liberated and replaced the battery from the rear wheel sensor on my bike, but it is still not working. That means no speed and distance info (on the trainer where I do most of my riding), I still have cadence but because of the no speed and distance part the computer screen keeps going into sleep mode. So I am a gadget dunce. I know how to turn my computer on and do what I need to do and that is about it. I have an iPhone 5 and use the runkeeper app when I run and ride outside and I have a timex triathlon watch with heart rate strap (which I never use). My question is should I just buy a new wireless bike computer or should I bite the bullet and buy a basic GPS watch that I can connect to a cadence sensor on the bike? lets say I have a budget of around $3-400, would this even be enough for the second option, if I sourced it online? If I go the watch way I would prefer something smallish that I can wear all day like I currently do with my timex if possible. I like numbers so would having this sort of data be a helpful motivation with my training?

Stacey, I have very little in the way of what to get from a $$$$'s perspective, but I can tell you the Timex Global Trainer is huge, so it may not work for you. If you like numbers/data, then a GPS device that you can sync to cadence and HRM is the way to go. When I first got mine, it was interesting to see the numbers, so for a short time you may be motivated, but it certainly hasn't been a long term motivator. I find mine most useful when doing something targeted (intervals or some such thing) and the feedback is immediately in front of you. 

Good Luck and happy shopping!

ETX: As is often mentioned, DC Rainmaker has good stuff on this. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator is a great place to start.

Edited by cdban66 2014-07-29 7:32 AM
2014-07-29 7:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I know I've been seriously MIA lately, and I'm really sorry for that.  I really have no good excuse either... it's been quite the bumpy ride so far, and it's not over yet - I'm hoping it will get better though. 

I've missed you guys.   

The Manatees are like the Hotel California - you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave

. Welcome back to the safe, non-bumpy place!!

I love this!

2014-07-29 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK For all you gadget guys I have a question. It looks like I am in the market for a new bike computer because I finally liberated and replaced the battery from the rear wheel sensor on my bike, but it is still not working. That means no speed and distance info (on the trainer where I do most of my riding), I still have cadence but because of the no speed and distance part the computer screen keeps going into sleep mode. So I am a gadget dunce. I know how to turn my computer on and do what I need to do and that is about it. I have an iPhone 5 and use the runkeeper app when I run and ride outside and I have a timex triathlon watch with heart rate strap (which I never use). My question is should I just buy a new wireless bike computer or should I bite the bullet and buy a basic GPS watch that I can connect to a cadence sensor on the bike? lets say I have a budget of around $3-400, would this even be enough for the second option, if I sourced it online? If I go the watch way I would prefer something smallish that I can wear all day like I currently do with my timex if possible. I like numbers so would having this sort of data be a helpful motivation with my training?

As a third alternative, you could get a speed/cadence sensor to work with your iPhone:  http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/blue-sc.html.  This runs US $60 or so.  I guess you'd also want to get a bike mount for your phone as well?

Yes, $300-400 will get you a multisport GPS watch but the mutlisport watches are not small or really meant to be worn all day.  The 310XT is the older Garmin multisport GPS watch and the 910XT is the newer model.  Apparently a Garmin will be releasing another model in the next 6-12 months.

Monica (welcome back!) has a BIA and she may be able to tell us if that's a Wear All Day kind of watch but that is also in the right price range.

The Garmin 15 is something that you can wear all day and use for running.  It has an activity tracker as well *but* has no bike mode so it's a no go.  I thought I'd mention it because of the all day wearing + motivation thing.  The rechargeable battery is rated for 5 weeks which is excellent for the category.  It's US $169 ($199 with the HR strap).

2014-07-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

As a third alternative, you could get a speed/cadence sensor to work with your iPhone:  http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/blue-sc.html.  This runs US $60 or so.  I guess you'd also want to get a bike mount for your phone as well?

Yes, $300-400 will get you a multisport GPS watch but the mutlisport watches are not small or really meant to be worn all day.  The 310XT is the older Garmin multisport GPS watch and the 910XT is the newer model.  Apparently a Garmin will be releasing another model in the next 6-12 months.

Monica (welcome back!) has a BIA and she may be able to tell us if that's a Wear All Day kind of watch but that is also in the right price range.

The Garmin 15 is something that you can wear all day and use for running.  It has an activity tracker as well *but* has no bike mode so it's a no go.  I thought I'd mention it because of the all day wearing + motivation thing.  The rechargeable battery is rated for 5 weeks which is excellent for the category.  It's US $169 ($199 with the HR strap).

So does anyone have a Garmin 510 or 810? Looking at DC Rainmaker reviews and wondering if this might be the way to go. I can get a bundle including heart rate strap and speed/cadence sensor for A$399. Then maybe I can get a Forerunner or something like that later (there is still my birthday and Christmas before the end of the year )

To replace the sigma wireless computer that I have on my bike (very basic no GPS) will cost me $100+ postage.

2014-07-29 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What about the Fenix 2? I "think" you can put it in long battery life mode and get  50+ hrs of battery life. It is multisport, but it is about the same size as the other garmin watches. So, big for those of use with small wrists!

2014-07-29 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

So does anyone have a Garmin 510 or 810? Looking at DC Rainmaker reviews and wondering if this might be the way to go. I can get a bundle including heart rate strap and speed/cadence sensor for A$399. Then maybe I can get a Forerunner or something like that later (there is still my birthday and Christmas before the end of the year ) To replace the sigma wireless computer that I have on my bike (very basic no GPS) will cost me $100+ postage.

Tom has a 500 which is similar to the 510. 

2014-07-29 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Any Manatee using Garmin Connect?  I have tried emailing an uploaded workout to someone and for some weird reason it converts everything into kms!  It makes me look way faster, but it is really annoying.  Everything is in miles on the site, so it is not that i need to make the change there.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any fix ideas?? 

2014-07-29 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Any Manatee using Garmin Connect?  I have tried emailing an uploaded workout to someone and for some weird reason it converts everything into kms!  It makes me look way faster, but it is really annoying.  Everything is in miles on the site, so it is not that i need to make the change there.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any fix ideas?? 

When I email an activity, it just sends the URL.

I don't see how to email a workout (5 x strides or whatever).

Are you using the "Classic" or "Modern" interface?  I was using Modern (http://connect.garmin.com/modern/). 

I suppose I should be a good little support person and switch to Classic and try that ;-

I'm back!  Yeah, same thing.  It wants to send the URL to the activity. 

2014-07-29 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Are you using the "Classic" or "Modern" interface?  I was using Modern (http://connect.garmin.com/modern/). 

I suppose I should be a good little support person and switch to Classic and try that ;-

Hands, is the person on Connect and living in one of those wacky countries that use the metric system?

2014-07-29 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

So does anyone have a Garmin 510 or 810? Looking at DC Rainmaker reviews and wondering if this might be the way to go. I can get a bundle including heart rate strap and speed/cadence sensor for A$399. Then maybe I can get a Forerunner or something like that later (there is still my birthday and Christmas before the end of the year ) To replace the sigma wireless computer that I have on my bike (very basic no GPS) will cost me $100+ postage.

I just picked up a Garmin Edge 500 to replace my wireless Cateye system.  Really, the Cateye system worked great.  It was accurate, and very trustworthy.  If having the GPS data isn't important to you, I would recommend sticking with one of these systems to save the $$.

But the Garmin 500 I picked up is nice.  It does everything I need it to in a very compact package.  I spent $160-ish on Craigslist.  The other models didn't add anything that I felt necessary.  At least, not in my current pay range.

Also, I have a Garmin 310XT, and that works great as well.  I used that as a semi-bike computer until I got the 500.  I got a speed/cadence sensor at the same time as the 500, and so made the switch straight to that.

But yeah, the Cateye worked great, and beyond that I pick up my Garmin stuff used or refurbished.

2014-07-29 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ya, it just sends the link and when the person opens the link it's been converted into kms!! 

2014-07-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Hands, is the person on Connect and living in one of those wacky countries that use the metric system?

Person is in Florida, which has a massive level of wackiness, but still doesn't use metric. 

2014-07-29 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Tom has a 500 which is similar to the 510. 

And much cheaper.

2014-07-29 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I've missed you guys.   

The Manatees are like the Hotel California - you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave

. Welcome back to the safe, non-bumpy place!!

I love this!

It's true.

2014-07-29 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Person is in Florida, which has a massive level of wackiness, but still doesn't use metric. 

I know Training Peaks has my settings as English, I'm not sure how GC does it. But it evidently is not that.

2014-07-29 9:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

I know Training Peaks has my settings as English, I'm not sure how GC does it. But it evidently is not that.

it's just really weird - on the site it is in miles, but it converts it when you send the url.  I may have to google the problem instead of getting my work done! 

2014-07-29 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK For all you gadget guys I have a question. It looks like I am in the market for a new bike computer because I finally liberated and replaced the battery from the rear wheel sensor on my bike, but it is still not working. That means no speed and distance info (on the trainer where I do most of my riding), I still have cadence but because of the no speed and distance part the computer screen keeps going into sleep mode. So I am a gadget dunce. I know how to turn my computer on and do what I need to do and that is about it.

Now that I think about it, what might be going on here with the wireless system is that it hasn't been synced, or has been synced incorrectly once the battery was replaced.

I recently replaced the battery in my Cateye speed/cadence sensor, and the head unit wasn't picking up any signal from it.  I thought I was syncing it correctly, but I really wasn't.  So I humbly took it in to the bike shop and asked them to make it work.  The bike mechanic took care of it real quick without rubbing in the fact that I was a n00b.

2014-07-29 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ya, it just sends the link and when the person opens the link it's been converted into kms!! 

I just sent you one.  Let's see what happens.

BTW, did you get that Glory Hound newsletter that I forwarded?

2014-07-29 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

where did you send the newsletter?

2014-07-29 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

where did you send the newsletter?

lastname723 at gmail you know the rest

2014-07-29 11:54 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Is it getting to be time to archive and start anew?  We're up to 98 pp. here...

2014-07-29 12:30 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Is it getting to be time to archive and start anew?  We're up to 98 pp. here...

Maybe next time Yanti peaks in.

2014-07-29 12:36 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I think I saw earlier someone mentioning that I had a Bia watch... which I ended up returning. 

I became very frustrated with the thing after 3 uses. Actually, that's not true, I became frustrated with it out of the box.  I didn't like that there were NO instructions whatsoever in how to get the thing set up.  It was only after contacting their help desk that I was told to "check with their external web forum for instructions" and it ticked me off that not only did they not include such a basic thing as how to set up their product, but then I was going to have to register with an outside forum to find out anything else about how to get the thing to work?  Frustration #1

The first thing I did with it was go for a run, which they had touted several times would have an unlimited walk/run function (good for me since running and I have a mutual hate).  So, I strapped the Bia on, went out, and clicked the button until the "Run - walk/run" was showing on the display and then clicked that... to which I got an error message on the screen saying  "sorry, not available yet, but should be coming soon!".  Frustration #2

I then tried to go for a bike ride with it, and all I ended up with was a bleeding wrist from the off-center point digging into my arm.  Frustration #3

Finally, I tried swimming with it and in less than a single length it had fallen off twice in the pool because of the crappy velcro.  Frustration #4 

And that was enough for me to send it back.  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.