BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-29 12:38 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I think I saw earlier someone mentioning that I had a Bia watch... which I ended up returning. 

I became very frustrated with the thing after 3 uses. Actually, that's not true, I became frustrated with it out of the box.  I didn't like that there were NO instructions whatsoever in how to get the thing set up.  It was only after contacting their help desk that I was told to "check with their external web forum for instructions" and it ticked me off that not only did they not include such a basic thing as how to set up their product, but then I was going to have to register with an outside forum to find out anything else about how to get the thing to work?  Frustration #1

The first thing I did with it was go for a run, which they had touted several times would have an unlimited walk/run function (good for me since running and I have a mutual hate).  So, I strapped the Bia on, went out, and clicked the button until the "Run - walk/run" was showing on the display and then clicked that... to which I got an error message on the screen saying  "sorry, not available yet, but should be coming soon!".  Frustration #2

I then tried to go for a bike ride with it, and all I ended up with was a bleeding wrist from the off-center point digging into my arm.  Frustration #3

Finally, I tried swimming with it and in less than a single length it had fallen off twice in the pool because of the crappy velcro.  Frustration #4 

And that was enough for me to send it back.  

So you're saying that Stacey can cross the Bia off her list?

2014-07-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

I think I saw earlier someone mentioning that I had a Bia watch... which I ended up returning. 

I became very frustrated with the thing after 3 uses. Actually, that's not true, I became frustrated with it out of the box.  I didn't like that there were NO instructions whatsoever in how to get the thing set up.  It was only after contacting their help desk that I was told to "check with their external web forum for instructions" and it ticked me off that not only did they not include such a basic thing as how to set up their product, but then I was going to have to register with an outside forum to find out anything else about how to get the thing to work?  Frustration #1

The first thing I did with it was go for a run, which they had touted several times would have an unlimited walk/run function (good for me since running and I have a mutual hate).  So, I strapped the Bia on, went out, and clicked the button until the "Run - walk/run" was showing on the display and then clicked that... to which I got an error message on the screen saying  "sorry, not available yet, but should be coming soon!".  Frustration #2

I then tried to go for a bike ride with it, and all I ended up with was a bleeding wrist from the off-center point digging into my arm.  Frustration #3

Finally, I tried swimming with it and in less than a single length it had fallen off twice in the pool because of the crappy velcro.  Frustration #4 

Ha!  Short version of my rambling above = don't get one!    

2014-07-29 12:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Sounds like they worked a little too hard on form and forgot about function.  Dumb!

2014-07-29 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

sounds like a great product!

2014-07-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Sounds like they worked a little too hard on form and forgot about function.  Dumb!

It sounds like they got the form wrong too!

2014-07-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Too bad that you have to wait almost a year for your next birthday!

2014-07-29 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ha!  Short version of my rambling above = don't get one!    

I found/keep finding a few issues with my Timex as well, the primary being that Strava doesn't like the file type, so you have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it uploaded. And then there are the occasional satellite issues, which I believe are common(ish) to all GPS devices. I have two quick fixes for the file upload available to me (taperiik or Strava App). What I have found to be the rub is that every one of these devices will have its own hurdles and/or issues. So you either analyze until you never get one or get one and deal with it.

Actually, I think you need to figure out what you want it to do, then work from there.

2014-07-29 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Too bad that you have to wait almost a year for your next birthday!

Damn!! guess i'll just have to make due with the 910 until then.

2014-07-29 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by laffinrock

Is it getting to be time to archive and start anew?  We're up to 98 pp. here...

Maybe next time Yanti peaks in.

I was just wondering about this....

2014-07-29 1:54 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK For all you gadget guys I have a question. It looks like I am in the market for a new bike computer because I finally liberated and replaced the battery from the rear wheel sensor on my bike, but it is still not working. That means no speed and distance info (on the trainer where I do most of my riding), I still have cadence but because of the no speed and distance part the computer screen keeps going into sleep mode. So I am a gadget dunce. I know how to turn my computer on and do what I need to do and that is about it. I have an iPhone 5 and use the runkeeper app when I run and ride outside and I have a timex triathlon watch with heart rate strap (which I never use). My question is should I just buy a new wireless bike computer or should I bite the bullet and buy a basic GPS watch that I can connect to a cadence sensor on the bike? lets say I have a budget of around $3-400, would this even be enough for the second option, if I sourced it online? If I go the watch way I would prefer something smallish that I can wear all day like I currently do with my timex if possible. I like numbers so would having this sort of data be a helpful motivation with my training?

As a third alternative, you could get a speed/cadence sensor to work with your iPhone:  http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/blue-sc.html.  This runs US $60 or so.  I guess you'd also want to get a bike mount for your phone as well?

Yes, $300-400 will get you a multisport GPS watch but the mutlisport watches are not small or really meant to be worn all day.  The 310XT is the older Garmin multisport GPS watch and the 910XT is the newer model.  Apparently a Garmin will be releasing another model in the next 6-12 months.

Monica (welcome back!) has a BIA and she may be able to tell us if that's a Wear All Day kind of watch but that is also in the right price range.

The Garmin 15 is something that you can wear all day and use for running.  It has an activity tracker as well *but* has no bike mode so it's a no go.  I thought I'd mention it because of the all day wearing + motivation thing.  The rechargeable battery is rated for 5 weeks which is excellent for the category.  It's US $169 ($199 with the HR strap).

So does anyone have a Garmin 510 or 810? Looking at DC Rainmaker reviews and wondering if this might be the way to go. I can get a bundle including heart rate strap and speed/cadence sensor for A$399. Then maybe I can get a Forerunner or something like that later (there is still my birthday and Christmas before the end of the year ) To replace the sigma wireless computer that I have on my bike (very basic no GPS) will cost me $100+ postage.

I just picked up a Garmin Edge 500 to replace my wireless Cateye system.  Really, the Cateye system worked great.  It was accurate, and very trustworthy.  If having the GPS data isn't important to you, I would recommend sticking with one of these systems to save the $$.

But the Garmin 500 I picked up is nice.  It does everything I need it to in a very compact package.  I spent $160-ish on Craigslist.  The other models didn't add anything that I felt necessary.  At least, not in my current pay range.

Also, I have a Garmin 310XT, and that works great as well.  I used that as a semi-bike computer until I got the 500.  I got a speed/cadence sensor at the same time as the 500, and so made the switch straight to that.

But yeah, the Cateye worked great, and beyond that I pick up my Garmin stuff used or refurbished.

Fatty to the rescue!  New post on the Garmin Edge 510!

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2014/07/28/the-joys-of-quantification-part-2-garmin-edge-510-long-term-usage-thoughts/

2014-07-29 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Reading his review, it still seems that the pros outweigh the cons for the 510, other than the price? 

The Catseye one that I had for years finally kicked the bucket, so I'm somewhat, though mostly not, kind of looking for something to replace it.  Sorta.   

2014-07-29 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
I bought a Garmin 500 earlier this year to compliment my 910. I just couldn't justify the added cost vs features of the 510. The 500 is cheap and does just fine
2014-07-29 4:55 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JJ- I bought a Garmin 500 earlier this year to compliment my 910. I just couldn't justify the added cost vs features of the 510. The 500 is cheap and does just fine

Question... do you have to also have the 910, or can you just use the 500 as a stand-alone bike computer?  I certainly like the price of the 500 better than the 510!!  

2014-07-29 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JJ- I bought a Garmin 500 earlier this year to compliment my 910. I just couldn't justify the added cost vs features of the 510. The 500 is cheap and does just fine

Question... do you have to also have the 910, or can you just use the 500 as a stand-alone bike computer?  I certainly like the price of the 500 better than the 510!!  

The 500 is a stand alone unit.  One doesn't need a 910 or anything else with it.  

That being said, I stick my 310 in a shoe at a race, and use it as my running watch.  It doesn't stay in the shoe, of course.

And remember, there are robust used markets for all of these devices.

2014-07-29 6:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by cdban66

Any Manatee using Garmin Connect?  I have tried emailing an uploaded workout to someone and for some weird reason it converts everything into kms!  It makes me look way faster, but it is really annoying.  Everything is in miles on the site, so it is not that i need to make the change there.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any fix ideas?? 

When I email an activity, it just sends the URL.

I don't see how to email a workout (5 x strides or whatever).

Are you using the "Classic" or "Modern" interface?  I was using Modern (http://connect.garmin.com/modern/). 

I suppose I should be a good little support person and switch to Classic and try that ;-

I'm back!  Yeah, same thing.  It wants to send the URL to the activity. 

Hands, is the person on Connect and living in one of those wacky countries that use the metric system?

Person is in Florida, which has a massive level of wackiness, but still doesn't use metric. 

Its a secret plot to convert you al, but shhhhh don't tell anyone
2014-07-29 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Reading his review, it still seems that the pros outweigh the cons for the 510, other than the price? 

The Catseye one that I had for years finally kicked the bucket, so I'm somewhat, though mostly not, kind of looking for something to replace it.  Sorta.   

this is where I am at too Monica. Not sure at this stage what track I want to go down.

Do I just stick with the basic wireless Sigma that gives me speed and cadence and has worked great for 3 years (and will cost me $100 to replace). I always take my phone with me when I ride outside anyway as it is the rule that I have with Phil so I can keep using the free GPS app when I do that. At this stage none of my rides have been longer than 2 hours so battery life isn't an issue.

Or do o bite the bullet and get something like the 500 or 510. Just not sure that I need the added functionality and therefore if the extra $$$ is worth it. Might just keep thinking about it for a bit longer.

2014-07-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK

this is where I am at too Monica. Not sure at this stage what track I want to go down. Do I just stick with the basic wireless Sigma that gives me speed and cadence and has worked great for 3 years (and will cost me $100 to replace). I always take my phone with me when I ride outside anyway as it is the rule that I have with Phil so I can keep using the free GPS app when I do that. At this stage none of my rides have been longer than 2 hours so battery life isn't an issue. Or do o bite the bullet and get something like the 500 or 510. Just not sure that I need the added functionality and therefore if the extra $$$ is worth it. Might just keep thinking about it for a bit longer.

One thing that has worked great for me since getting the 500 along with ANT+ speed/cadence is using it with TrainerRoad.  I do a lot of trainer workouts, and having the ANT+ accessories sending data to my computer and the TR app works great.

So, there are benefits to switching to a platform with more capabilities.  Of course, I could have just used my 310XT.

2014-07-29 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Each system can act as a standalone unit.  Both the 910XT and the 500/510 talk to the same heart rate strap.

2014-07-30 1:28 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Jeebus. Sounds like Kingsley and I REALLY need to get the Sentinel tracker up and running ... mainly because it would be compatible with a lot of current GPS and timing technology (if people wanted it to be--one of our main markets is people who DON'T want their info logged anywhere public), but in a completely different vein, allow live-follow-the-red-dot-on-the-track tracking of people during events. Safety and stalking all in one.

'Course it has nothing to do with heart rate and cycling metrics n shyte, but anyway.

2014-07-30 2:25 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok people I need some really important help now...

When I'm quoting someone how do I bold parts of their message? and how do I get pretty colours in my messages? I just cant find anywhere to deal with font style, is it because I'm on a freebee membership?
2014-07-30 3:18 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok people I need some really important help now... When I'm quoting someone how do I bold parts of their message? and how do I get pretty colours in my messages? I just cant find anywhere to deal with font style, is it because I'm on a freebee membership?

If you're on a phone, no clue. If you're on a poodle, and you click Quote instead of Reply, you should get something like this. Highlight whatever you want bolded then click the big B (black arrow); if you want pretty colours, click on the littler A (pink arrow) and pick.

(BTstyles.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BTstyles.jpg (78KB - 15 downloads)

2014-07-30 3:21 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

I'm "visiting" discount gear sites and race sites.

Kingsley is gonna kill me. Less than 8hrs since we parted and ...

2014-07-30 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

I have the 910 also. I leave the 910 on my wrist the entire race but I use the 500 as a dedicated bike computer
2014-07-30 7:07 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Had no clue how addicted I was to Strava until the site goes down. I was about to go for a run but if Strava isn't working it's not worth it. Back to bed!!
2014-07-30 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Each system can act as a standalone unit.  Both the 910XT and the 500/510 talk to the same heart rate strap.

Exactly. They share everything that is ANT I just like having a dedicated bike computer so I don't have to look at my wrist and I don't or will ever use the quick release.

For a bike computer I believe the 500 is better for the money than the 510. At least when I did my research.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.