Overall Rank = 3/439
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/52
Run
  • 19m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

What a debacle. Was so excited about this race as it is an amazing idea. Running through the park with the xmas lights display.
The problem is how disorganized it was. We were there with plenty of time and stood in line to pick up packet for 2 hrs! And when we got it, the line was longer than when we started and it was time to start the race. They were so disorganized and making mistakes anyone who ever did a single local 5k would understand. For example, the bibs were not separated/grouped into ranges. Every window was trying to service every number, so they would dig through piles all over the place to try to get yours in the 1000's of others.

They eventually ran out of time and shut down packet pickup, instructing all runners and walkers to go to the start with or without chip/bib. They also combined the 1mi walk and the 5k. In addition, they had no corrals so people walking in jean jackets and strollers were lined up right on the start line. It was insanity.

When the gun went off, I sprinted out to the front though and got a clearing. I ran .5mi. with another guy and was following the pace truck. At this point all was great and I thought we were in the clear. I was able to drop the other runner and was enjoying the hell out of looking at the lights in the dark and chasing the SUV with the back hatch open. It was at this point it all went to shit.

The road was coned off and wasn't wide enough to get the SUV though, so it was slowing and/or running into the cones. I had to slow a bit as I caught up to the car and eventually, I just had to pass them and take off. Now I was solo and not 100% sure where to go because it was so dark. There were cones though and xmas lights, so I was doing ok. Then we came to the end of the loop of the lollipop and started back towards the finish. Now there were still thousands of runners and walkers coming at me and were not sticking to one side or the other. I was yelling "stay to your left!" every few steps and they were screaming as I buzzed by them soon followed by car headlights bearing down on them. Crowds were screaming "Is that a car coming at us?!?! CAR!!"

I picked my way through the crowd, but slowed considerably with the yelling, dodging, etc. I was able to hold off everyone and cross first, but with people starting way behind me, they got me per the chips. Not sure if that counts. It was such a cluster F, it wasn't worth figuring out, so when K crossed we headed to the car to try to beat the traffic. At this point things got worse/dangerous as they had cars from the lot MERGING with runners/walkers to drive on the course towards the exit. It was a zipper of cars and racers trying to use the same road... in the pitch black! Insane.

What would you do differently?:

Who knows.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cars, cones, dark, participants, start time

Event comments:

Great idea. Worst execution ever.

Last updated: 2013-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:54 | 03.11 miles | 06m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/52
Overall: 3/439