General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cut off times question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-21 9:57 PM

Subject: Cut off times question
I an new to TRI and the whole cut off time has me perplexed. I would imagine this is probably in danger of missing one of them lol. So here is an example of what I don't understand: Cut off time for the swim is the 1 hour from the start time of the last wave in the water. The cut off time for the bike distance is 3hrs from the last wave in the water. Having never done this before does this mean that if imam say in wave 4 of 10 the cut off time for me is an hour after I start or 1 hour and 5 mins (for example) when the last wave starts ? If I go 1 hour and 2 mins am I disqualified ? Thanks for helping me make sense of this

2014-05-21 10:12 PM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Cut off times question
What race is this in reference to? The way you have it worded I would assume that if the last wave went in at 8am the swim cutoff for everyone would be 9am (no matter start time) and bike cut off would be 11am (again no matter what your start time). Usually this would be a time trial start with "seeded" swim times. Faster swimmers first and slower swimmers last. I'd assume if you're in question of missing cut off you'd be in the last wave.
2014-05-22 4:30 AM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Suppose the cutoff times are 1 hour after the last wave for the swim, 3 hours for the bike, and 4 hours for the run.

If the last wave is in the water at 8:30am, the cutoff for the swim is 9:30am, for he bike is 11:30am, and for the entire race is 12:30pm.
2014-05-22 7:41 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

Master
Northern IL

Yes, the last wave has 1 hr to complete the swim. Everyone else has more. How much more depends on how much earlier they started.

2014-05-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by brigby1

Yes, the last wave has 1 hr to complete the swim. Everyone else has more. How much more depends on how much earlier they started.

I think it depends on the race. I am not sure about swim and bike cutoff times, which may have been extended for earlier waves, but the 70.3 here in Calgary had a hard cut off of 7 or 8 hours from your waves start time. So even though someone in a later wave may finish after someone in an earlier wave the earlier wave may be DNF'd.
2014-05-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BigDH

I think it depends on the race. I am not sure about swim and bike cutoff times, which may have been extended for earlier waves, but the 70.3 here in Calgary had a hard cut off of 7 or 8 hours from your waves start time. So even though someone in a later wave may finish after someone in an earlier wave the earlier wave may be DNF'd.

Yes, other methods are possible and make sure to understand that for each race. I was responding to how it was written in the OP.

2014-05-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: BigDH

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by BigDH

agree with this answer. while MOST races have the time cutoffs start counting down from the last swim wave, not all work that way. The year I did Eagleman, each wave had it's own cutoff time, and the swim course was mismarked, so they DNF'ed a large number of people from each wave.

2014-05-23 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4999805

Thanks everyone. Both scenarios answered my question
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cut off times question Rss Feed