General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-05-23 12:28 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns?

Originally posted by Danno77
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

The anti-flip turn posts in these threads make me laugh at how ridiculous and adamant the arguments are.  

We never see anyone arguing that better bike handling skills won't make someone a better triathlete even though most of the skills are rarely needed in non-drafting races, yet, there are all sorts of rationalizations why flip turns won't make you a better triathlete.

IMO, it's as simple as saying that any skills that make you a better swimmer, cyclist, or runner will contribute to being a better triathlete.

To specifically answer the OP, I do flip turns because...

1. I can.
  2. It makes me a better swimmer, which makes me a better triathlete.

In short, are they necessary?...Absolutely not.  Will they make you a better triathlete?...Absolutely yes.

The thing that usually gets me about these posts is the assumptions that everybody swims in a pool. I feel sorry for that sucker who is swimming laps around an island all year long without the opportunity to become a better swimmer.

Ok, I'll bite    ...

As LB was kind enough to point out, this thread is about why or why not to do flip turns, so it's pretty much a given that there's a pool involved.

Also, you seem to have either missed or misunderstood the last sentence of my post where I said flip turns aren't necessary, but they will make you a better triathlete.  Again, they are not necessary.  No where did I say they were, or that they were in any way essential to becoming a good swimmer.  They just fall onto the lists of skills that will contribute to being a better triathlete.

BUT, I will say that take the person who is only swimming open water and compare it to what they could achieve in a pool and they are almost certainly performing well beneath their potential. (This assumes coaching / instruction from a source that is even marginally competent.)  

So, even though your post appeared to be sarcastic, you are right.  The person who is only swimming laps around an island all year long doesn't have the same opportunities for improvement as they would if they spent some portion of their training cycle in the controlled environment of a pool where it's easier to measure everything that happens.

I do think that you might be missing the added benefits of hundreds of thousands of OWS workouts that could probably counteract the ability to do flip turns. How many athletes get the opportunity to swim in such a wide range of conditions as one who solely trains outdoors? I'm not discounting what you are saying, just saying that there's another angle to consider. .

There is no other added benefit to consider, and there is no added benefit from swimming hundreds of thousands of OWS yards over the person doing very structured and planned interval workouts.  If you think there is then you don't understand how to get fast at swimming.  Yes, you have to do some open water swimming to practice sighting, get used to the sun and waves, etc.  But nobody gets the true benefit of swim workouts by continuously swimming the same yards over and over. I don't care if it's in the pool or in the ocean. 

Like you say....if you don't care then you don't care.....but we're talking about trying to swim better/faster and the benefits of flip turns in the program. You go swim hundreds of thousands of yards around an island....I'll take a person of exact ability and put them in a structured interval program.  At the end of a set period you can race.  Prepare to have your arse handed to you.

Why the heck are so many of these IM people on this forum posting 10k+ a week, then? This is a serious question, not my usually sarcastic one.

Most all of it is interval work......and 10K per week is a fairly light amount of swimming.  As an example, my kid can likely do an IM swim in about 50 minutes.....he rarely swims anything longer than a 200 in practice.

2014-05-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

Most all of it is interval work......and 10K per week is a fairly light amount of swimming.  As an example, my kid can likely do an IM swim in about 50 minutes.....he rarely swims anything longer than a 200 in practice.

Interval work to me is confusing. I've done searches for it and never seem to get a real answer. I understand intervals in running, and also do them in cycling, but when swimming (and I know what you are saying, this isn't the first time I've heard it) what is unclear is how do you rest, what is rest...when do you start the next set? Is it HR, is it time, is it when you feel rested, what dictates when you start the next set. The answer is usually "depends" and then there are 793 variables that I need to answer before knowing how long to rest. What? Someone just tell me what to swim, even the training plans I see have interval sets, but not usually much advice as to how to approach them.

I know I'm sidetracking the thread a little, but I'm not feeling bad. There are about a million threads on flip turns, so no big loss.

I will say this, though. I've gone from swimming 2:10 per 100y all out for 100, to being able to swim 1:42 on a 1500y and somewhere sub 1:20 for a 100y all out (just ONE at that pace, tho), so there must be some benefit from just pure volume (like position)...
2014-05-23 12:46 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Interval work to me is confusing. I've done searches for it and never seem to get a real answer. I understand intervals in running, and also do them in cycling, but when swimming (and I know what you are saying, this isn't the first time I've heard it) what is unclear is how do you rest, what is rest...when do you start the next set? Is it HR, is it time, is it when you feel rested, what dictates when you start the next set. The answer is usually "depends" and then there are 793 variables that I need to answer before knowing how long to rest. What? Someone just tell me what to swim, even the training plans I see have interval sets, but not usually much advice as to how to approach them.

I know I'm sidetracking the thread a little, but I'm not feeling bad. There are about a million threads on flip turns, so no big loss.

I will say this, though. I've gone from swimming 2:10 per 100y all out for 100, to being able to swim 1:42 on a 1500y and somewhere sub 1:20 for a 100y all out (just ONE at that pace, tho), so there must be some benefit from just pure volume (like position)...

If there is a master's swim group near you, I'd recommend it as one of the best things you can do for your training. The group I swim with works with various levels of perceived exertion. You've got:
Easy (recovery)
Pace (comfortable effort)
Push Pace (probably around 85% of max heart rate)
and Fast ( all out).

Rest is anywhere between 10 and 30 seconds, depending on the distance and intensity of whatever we're doing, but it's never over 400m, and rarely over 300m. Pushing yourself to higher heart rates for a short period of time will increase your body's ability to deal with the lactic acid buildup and will therefore make you more fit. I say join a master's group because it is honestly so much easier (for me at least) to have someone just tell me what to do. I also regularly do up to 10K a week when I'm IM training, and almost all of that is interval stuff rather than just long constant swimming.
2014-05-23 12:49 PM

Normally you would swim to the pace clock. For interval it it would often be " on the". So say you are doing 100 on the 2:00. If you do it in 1:50 you get :10 rest, 1:30 you get :30 rest.
http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=1929
2014-05-23 12:52 PM

User image

Pro

Interval work to me is confusing. I've done searches for it and never seem to get a real answer. I understand intervals in running, and also do them in cycling, but when swimming (and I know what you are saying, this isn't the first time I've heard it) what is unclear is how do you rest, what is rest...when do you start the next set? Is it HR, is it time, is it when you feel rested, what dictates when you start the next set. The answer is usually "depends" and then there are 793 variables that I need to answer before knowing how long to rest. What? Someone just tell me what to swim, even the training plans I see have interval sets, but not usually much advice as to how to approach them. I know I'm sidetracking the thread a little, but I'm not feeling bad. There are about a million threads on flip turns, so no big loss. I will say this, though. I've gone from swimming 2:10 per 100y all out for 100, to being able to swim 1:42 on a 1500y and somewhere sub 1:20 for a 100y all out (just ONE at that pace, tho), so there must be some benefit from just pure volume (like position)...

I saw your most recent Oly swim....33:00..and I know that race well as someone in my family or I have participated the last 3 years before this one.  You aren't 1:42/100 in an OWS, at least not last week.  I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I know a lot of those people in that race and I know who the 1:30 - 1:40/100 swimmers are and you weren't close to them.  The good news is that you have quite a bit of time to gain by swimming better.

The best way for you to learn about intervals and swim workouts is to find a masters group near you.  Or go watch a local club practice.  If you want to get truly faster at swimming you need that type of work.  If you really want to learn about it you need to find some avenue to see it done and get a feel for it.

2014-05-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Normally you would swim to the pace clock. For interval it it would often be " on the". So say you are doing 100 on the 2:00. If you do it in 1:50 you get :10 rest, 1:30 you get :30 rest.
http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=1929
Well, that's all fine and dandy, but now that I know how to read a race clock and I know the terminology, I should be doing my intervals on the what, exactly?

I really should lead every swimming post I make with the THERE ARE NO MASTERS CLASSES NEAR HERE. Well, that's not true, I could get a membership to a different YMCA that is 50 minutes away and they offer something I think. Ain't happening, though. Not even once a week.

2014-05-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

Interval work to me is confusing. I've done searches for it and never seem to get a real answer. I understand intervals in running, and also do them in cycling, but when swimming (and I know what you are saying, this isn't the first time I've heard it) what is unclear is how do you rest, what is rest...when do you start the next set? Is it HR, is it time, is it when you feel rested, what dictates when you start the next set. The answer is usually "depends" and then there are 793 variables that I need to answer before knowing how long to rest. What? Someone just tell me what to swim, even the training plans I see have interval sets, but not usually much advice as to how to approach them. I know I'm sidetracking the thread a little, but I'm not feeling bad. There are about a million threads on flip turns, so no big loss. I will say this, though. I've gone from swimming 2:10 per 100y all out for 100, to being able to swim 1:42 on a 1500y and somewhere sub 1:20 for a 100y all out (just ONE at that pace, tho), so there must be some benefit from just pure volume (like position)...

I saw your most recent Oly swim....33:00..and I know that race well as someone in my family or I have participated the last 3 years before this one.  You aren't 1:42/100 in an OWS, at least not last week.  I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I know a lot of those people in that race and I know who the 1:30 - 1:40/100 swimmers are and you weren't close to them.  The good news is that you have quite a bit of time to gain by swimming better.

The best way for you to learn about intervals and swim workouts is to find a masters group near you.  Or go watch a local club practice.  If you want to get truly faster at swimming you need that type of work.  If you really want to learn about it you need to find some avenue to see it done and get a feel for it.

That was a 1:51 pace, I swam further than the actual Oly distance.

ETA: wetsuit aided, but not pushing off the wall iin an ndoor pool with no sighting issues and full effort. I didn't do a full race report, but I really dogged this race because I freaked out on the OWS last year (my first). 1:42 is a documented pace in the pool. My logs should have it somewhere.

Edited by Danno77 2014-05-23 12:58 PM
2014-05-23 12:59 PM

User image

Pro

That was a 1:51 pace, I swam further than the actual Oly distance.

We must use different metrics to measure 100 pace too.   

2014-05-23 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

We must use different metrics to measure 100 pace too.   

I didn't do the math, look at the entry in my log. I can hook you up with the garmin connect activity if it would be helpful.
2014-05-23 1:03 PM

User image

Pro

I'[m not trying to beat you up over your swim time, I'm just having some fun with you since you like sarcasm so much.  

Since you can hold 1:42 for 1500, why don't you start with 100 intervals on 2:00.  That means every 2:00 you are off on anhother 100.  Start with 2 sets of 6, and take a couple minutes between.  When you get to the point where you can do 2 set sof 10 on 2:00 go back to 2 sets of 6 and drop the time to 1:55.  That would at least get you used to doing intervals.  From there you can find other workouts and gtet a feel for the effort you will be asked to put forth and can at least guage where your fitness/swim level is.  That's an easy way to start since you don't appear to have many options.

2014-05-23 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That's a good place to start Danno. Another one that could be good would be (im using similar times as LB for your set

4x (25 leaving on :25, 50 leaving on :50, 75 leaving on 1:15, 100 leaving on 1:40)

2014-05-23 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Buy "Swim Workouts for triathletes" by Gale Berhardt. 2nd edition
It's part of the workout in a binder series. Simple and efficient.

She explains how to measure your Threshold pace and it gives paces based on it.

There is a plan for Sprint, OLY/HIM and IM
There is an advanced and normal level.

Edited by marcag 2014-05-23 1:36 PM
2014-05-23 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Here's a freebie for you:

2,000 yd Endurance Speed

Warm up - 2 x 250 FR [150 FR, 4x25 Distance Per Stroke (DPS) - Maximize the distance that each arm can propel you. Count the number of strokes per 25] @ :15 RI

Main Set -
2 x
1x150 FR T-Pace + :05 @ :30RI
2x100 FR T-Pace @ :15RI
1:00 Bonus Rest
6x50 FR, Odds easy- Focus on Form, Evens FAST! @ :20RI

Cool Down - 200 FR/BK Easy Effort

T-pace is your pace per 100 for a 1,000 yd time trial.

RI is Rest Interval.

FR is Free Style (front crawl)

BK is Back Stroke

2014-05-23 1:51 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Danno77 Interval work to me is confusing. I've done searches for it and never seem to get a real answer. I understand intervals in running, and also do them in cycling, but when swimming (and I know what you are saying, this isn't the first time I've heard it) what is unclear is how do you rest, what is rest...when do you start the next set? Is it HR, is it time, is it when you feel rested, what dictates when you start the next set. The answer is usually "depends" and then there are 793 variables that I need to answer before knowing how long to rest. What? Someone just tell me what to swim, even the training plans I see have interval sets, but not usually much advice as to how to approach them. I know I'm sidetracking the thread a little, but I'm not feeling bad. There are about a million threads on flip turns, so no big loss. I will say this, though. I've gone from swimming 2:10 per 100y all out for 100, to being able to swim 1:42 on a 1500y and somewhere sub 1:20 for a 100y all out (just ONE at that pace, tho), so there must be some benefit from just pure volume (like position)...
Buy "Swim Workouts for triathletes" by Gale Berhardt. 2nd edition It's part of the workout in a binder series. Simple and efficient. She explains how to measure your Threshold pace and it gives paces based on it. There is a plan for Sprint, OLY/HIM and IM There is an advanced and normal level.

Coincidentally, the workout I posted above is a modified version of one of the sessions in that book.

2014-05-23 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Thanks all for the tips, direction, advice. Do you think that in one month's time I can see a drop of 5 sec per 100y in a short race?

There is this YMcA triathlon and I did my first tri at it in 2012 and swam a 7:23, then 6:25 last year. It's a 350yd serpentine pool race. I have tried it a couple of times mid workout and was down 5:15 +/-, but that was in one lane and theoretically if you start on one side of the pool and zigzag to the other there has to be another 25 yards or so in there. I'd like to be down around 5 flat for the entire race, but certainly under 5:15. Every second will count for this race. Not for place, but for personal goal.

The one caveat is that I'm training for a 70.3 in oct and I don't want this to hinder that training. I'm actually pretty sure that I could go out and swim that 1.2mi right now (sighting should be easier for this 70.3 than my last race)

So, knowing that, any different suggestions for swim training?
2014-05-23 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Danno77 Interval work to me is confusing. I've done searches for it and never seem to get a real answer. I understand intervals in running, and also do them in cycling, but when swimming (and I know what you are saying, this isn't the first time I've heard it) what is unclear is how do you rest, what is rest...when do you start the next set? Is it HR, is it time, is it when you feel rested, what dictates when you start the next set. The answer is usually "depends" and then there are 793 variables that I need to answer before knowing how long to rest. What? Someone just tell me what to swim, even the training plans I see have interval sets, but not usually much advice as to how to approach them. I know I'm sidetracking the thread a little, but I'm not feeling bad. There are about a million threads on flip turns, so no big loss. I will say this, though. I've gone from swimming 2:10 per 100y all out for 100, to being able to swim 1:42 on a 1500y and somewhere sub 1:20 for a 100y all out (just ONE at that pace, tho), so there must be some benefit from just pure volume (like position)...
Buy "Swim Workouts for triathletes" by Gale Berhardt. 2nd edition It's part of the workout in a binder series. Simple and efficient. She explains how to measure your Threshold pace and it gives paces based on it. There is a plan for Sprint, OLY/HIM and IM There is an advanced and normal level.

This!  I got the one for swimmers, triathletes and coaches.  The workouts in those are awesome.

2014-05-23 2:17 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Danno77 Every second will count for this race... ...So, knowing that, any different suggestions for swim training?

Practice your flip turns.

2014-05-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Danno77 Every second will count for this race... ...So, knowing that, any different suggestions for swim training?

HAHAHAH!!!  /Thread

2014-05-23 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

HAHAHAH!!!  /Thread

Nuh uh!  You can't flip turn in open water!

And round and round we go!

2014-05-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

HAHAHAH!!!  /Thread

[/QUO

Dude!!  It's a pool swim......try to keep up, huh?

2014-05-23 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

HAHAHAH!!!  /Thread

True story.  One of the pool swims I did this year explicitly banned flip turns.  HA!  WHERE'S YOUR SKILL NOW SWIMMERS?!!

2014-05-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

HAHAHAH!!!  /Thread

True story.  One of the pool swims I did this year explicitly banned flip turns.  HA!  WHERE'S YOUR SKILL NOW SWIMMERS?!!

(hater1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
hater1.jpg (81KB - 19 downloads)
2014-05-23 2:45 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Just got back from the YMCA and I have to tell you, I have no idea how y'alls do a flip turn. This danged wetsuit makes it nearly impossible.
2014-05-23 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

why are you swimming in the pool with your wetsuit?

2014-05-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by dmiller5

why are you swimming in the pool with your wetsuit?

Whoosh!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Water in ears from doing flip turns Pages: 1 2

Started by Caroleena
Views: 5922 Posts: 33

2015-10-24 8:31 PM brigby1

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Who does flip turns and why? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by powerman
Views: 7373 Posts: 105

2014-05-24 5:03 AM axteraa

For those who don't do flip turns Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kwynnc
Views: 5398 Posts: 54

2011-04-10 9:52 PM tjfry

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1652 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
At some point in your triathlon career you will need to master the art of the flip turn to continue your swimming progress.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.