General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-05-22 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Subject: Crossfit
I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?

2014-05-22 12:51 PM
in reply to: BradyFinney

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: Crossfit
I was told off by another poster for being anti-social that last time I made a Crossfit joke here on BT.

So I will reserve myself to say that the plyo elements can surely only help your run and bike strength and that the extra cardio intense session should also help shed any extra lbs you are carrying.

Crossfit, a noble pursuit.
2014-05-22 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I will leave my opinion of crossfit out because I don't want to start a flame war. But if your purpose is to become a better triathlete, skip it. Spend that time swimming, biking, and running. If you are doing it because it is fun, have fun, but just please be careful.

2014-05-22 12:55 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Pro

Originally posted by badmo77at the plyo elements can surely only help your run and bike strength.

How does it help running?

2014-05-22 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

You're going to need to get your own sled. It sounds like a cliché, but it's really true-- the only way to get better at sled pulling and pushing is to do more sled pulling and pushing.

Edited by zed707 2014-05-22 1:02 PM
2014-05-22 1:05 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by badmo77at the plyo elements can surely only help your run and bike strength.

how does it help cycling?

2014-05-22 1:08 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

[sarcasm]

Hard to explain but I think it has something to do with leg strength being good for running.

[/sarcasm]
2014-05-22 1:16 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by zed707

You're going to need to get your own sled. It sounds like a cliché, but it's really true-- the only way to get better at sled pulling and pushing is to do more sled pulling and pushing.

deep

Just keep in mind, the top in shape crossfit athletes who you see at the games do not get that way by training crossfit.
2014-05-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

the steroids do help a lot for running and cycling too

2014-05-22 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
crossfit is fine for general fitness (although I don't agree with some concepts, like repeated Olympic lifts to/past fatigue "for time") you could certainly do worse for staying in shape.

Triathlon is already pretty diverse training though. If you want to lift weights, go for it, if you want to be a faster triathlete... do one of the other three.
2014-05-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Master
Memphis, TN
Make sure the gym you go to has a good trainer.

With high rep olympic lifts you can hurt yourself in a hurry so be careful like you would any other lifting program. A few of my friends have done it and one hurt his back the other his shoulder.

I think it's a neat concept but not for that kind of money. Just my opinion on that . I can lift by myself but can't find the time anymore.

2014-05-22 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Wow, both a new Flip Turn and Crossfit thread in the same day...winner, winner, chicken dinner for us all!
2014-05-22 1:42 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by badmo77a

[sarcasm] Hard to explain but I think it has something to do with leg strength being good for running. [/sarcasm]

{no sarcasm}

So instead of hill repeats or speed intervals for run/leg strength time would be better served doing crossfit?

{no sarcasm}

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-22 1:43 PM
2014-05-22 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by BradyFinney

I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?

If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here.

If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-05-22 1:48 PM
2014-05-22 1:49 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?
If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here. If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

Or just go run. 

2014-05-22 2:19 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

[sarcasm] Hard to explain but I think it has something to do with leg strength being good for running. [/sarcasm]

{no sarcasm}

So instead of hill repeats or speed intervals for run/leg strength time would be better served doing crossfit?

{no sarcasm}

Are we not just giving daft responses to crossfit in this thread?

If not then:

No, you should not sub out intervals or hill repeats or your weekly tempo and hope that crossfit will suit you better. To get better at running you must run. And ideally run according to a smart plan.

However our good friends at runners world reminded us just today that some dynamic exercise like power skips, leg bound and squat jumps (exercises synonymous with crossfit) can realy help your running form. So if you have spare cycles in your schedule, or get grounded by a thunder storm, some crossfit style work could help you be a better runner.

On this topic though I have heard you can substitute in a ton of swim hours and get miraculous run improvements.

2014-05-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by ejshowers Wow, both a new Flip Turn and Crossfit thread in the same day...winner, winner, chicken dinner for us all!

My thoughts exactly.

All we need now is a road bike vs. tri bike thread!

2014-05-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

Veteran
Summerfield, NC
Originally posted by ejshowers

Wow, both a new Flip Turn and Crossfit thread in the same day...winner, winner, chicken dinner for us all!

If only someone would start a brick thread then the day would be complete.
2014-05-22 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?
If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit,.

So you just want to kill the whole thread?

2014-05-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Pro

{no sarcasm}

{no sarcasm}

Are we not just giving daft responses to crossfit in this thread? If not then: No, you should not sub out intervals or hill repeats or your weekly tempo and hope that crossfit will suit you better. To get better at running you must run. And ideally run according to a smart plan. However our good friends at runners world reminded us just today that some dynamic exercise like power skips, leg bound and squat jumps (exercises synonymous with crossfit) can realy help your running form. So if you have spare cycles in your schedule, or get grounded by a thunder storm, some crossfit style work could help you be a better runner. On this topic though I have heard you can substitute in a ton of swim hours and get miraculous run improvements.

We call those form drills.  And yeah, if you swim a TON it will help you in all endurance endeavors.  It's why many kids in swim clubs can run way faster then their classmates.  Or why my 16 year old can run a 4:18 mile on less than 25 miles per week of running.....but the running he does is almost all very specific.   You can't get faster running by lifting weights or doing power skips without keeping your run volume up......you sure as hell can run faster by upping your swim volume to 40-50,000 yards of hard intervals per week even if you drop some of your junk run work.  Try both and report back. 

2014-05-22 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

pssssst he's right

just put down a 2:10 Oly running less than volume than last year....and PR'd the run........

2014-05-22 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here. If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

I'll make a blanket statement that I believe to be true: the average triathlete does not have the volume in their week where adding a strength workout wouldn't be a substitution of a sport specific workout.

2014-05-22 2:37 PM

Master
Memphis, TN

{no sarcasm}

{no sarcasm}

Because bodybuilders and powerlifters are such good runners

\sarcasm
2014-05-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

I'll make a blanket statement that I believe to be true: the average triathlete does not have the volume in their week where adding a strength workout wouldn't be a substitution of a sport specific workout.

That's right.  We've had the discussion before about how it would be ideal for triathlon training if people had time to swim the type of yardage that it takes to really be competitive in triathlon, and almost everybody says, "but I don't have that kind of time"....and I can see the point.  But then ask the same group if crossfit can help and some of the same people want to say that fitting in a strength or crossfit workout once or twice a week can really be helpful.  No it isn't.  If you want to do strength work than do strength work that is specific to swim/bike/run.  Add a hill repeat workout, or do some drills with paddles while swimming, etc. 

Crossfit is fine......it won't make you a faster triathlete, and it won't make you a faster runner or give you more bang for your buck in endurance training.  But it's fun to argue about.

2014-05-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Should I post a road bike or tri bike thread to complete the trifecta?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit Rss Feed  

of 4