BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-11-04 6:25 PM
in reply to: parrj

User image

Subject: RE: Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open)
Originally posted by parrj

Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I am still training for IMFL and taper starts on Sunday. Yesterday I had a 4 hour bike/1 hour run brick and tomorrow I have a 2 hour run followed by a one hour swim. I have mixed emotions. I felt ready 10 days ago but had my anniversary vacation so missed 2 swims, 2 bikes, and had to cut my long run of 3 hours down to 1.5 hours. Really hope I maintained that cardio!! Time will tell.

How was IMFL?

Well, if you hadn't heard, the swim was canceled while we waited on the beach for the start. The water was terrible, as were the rip currents and winds. I understand why it was canceled, but it was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had. After all of that work, I was standing there facing a DUATHLON! Regardless, after getting up at 4 AM, I sat inside of a hotel lobby on the floor until 9 AM waiting for my time-trial start. Finally, my group went off at 9:08. I have to admit I had a tough time getting motivated for a bike/run and I was starving. The weather was 20 mph winds with gusts up to 36 mph!! CRAZY! I was pretty nervous. Got out there on my bike and things were tough, but not miserable. I had trained in the wind and A LOT! So, ended up finishing my bike in just over 6 1/2 hours. Got off and legs, miraculously, felt AMAZING. I have no idea how it happened since we had about 50 miles of STRONG headwinds. I was expecting to be wobbly and sore, but I felt fresh and averaged an 8:40 pace on my first 3-4 miles. I ended up finishing my marathon in 4:13, so I was VERY pleased. OVerall finish time was 10:55 and I felt good all the way to the finish. I walked through water stations after mile 14 or so and ended up with a 9:40 average pace. Happy with it, but now considering a last-minute trip to Cozumel to get my full IM in. Not sure what I will do yet. Have some decisions to make. 2015 will not be an Ironman year for me, so it's now or never.

Thanks for your help!

2014-11-04 6:35 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Yeah, that's a tough break. I've always thought how'd I'd feel if they cancelled or altered part of my IM course. I've have swims cancelled in Olympics and was not happy so that would probably be magnified with IM. Sounds like you hung tough and still had a great bike/run. Let me know if you decide on Cozumel and I can give you some tips on the short turn around and how to train in between races.
2014-11-10 10:52 AM

User image

Well, I took an entire week off except for one short swim and water fitness class and am now ready to climb back
in the saddle. I was told by a local coach that doing BTB Ironman events can be pretty hard on the body, so I am trying to be
smart. My thoughts are that I should resume my normal swim training since the swim is not wetsuit legal in Cozumel and
I haven't technically had any longer swims since a week out from IMFL. I am thinking of adding in one 3 hour bike ride and then
my regular 1-1:30 runs. I probably won't add much distance on the bike and run but instead focus on doing shorter workouts
using more power and speed. I will taper down those last 10 days before the race. Do you have any advice on what workouts would
be most important right now? I feel out of shape already!! Thanks!
2014-11-10 11:45 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Well, I took an entire week off except for one short swim and water fitness class and am now ready to climb back
in the saddle. I was told by a local coach that doing BTB Ironman events can be pretty hard on the body, so I am trying to be
smart. My thoughts are that I should resume my normal swim training since the swim is not wetsuit legal in Cozumel and
I haven't technically had any longer swims since a week out from IMFL. I am thinking of adding in one 3 hour bike ride and then
my regular 1-1:30 runs. I probably won't add much distance on the bike and run but instead focus on doing shorter workouts
using more power and speed. I will taper down those last 10 days before the race. Do you have any advice on what workouts would
be most important right now? I feel out of shape already!! Thanks!

I think that sounds like a decent plan. Definitely don't worry about the run. Let your body guide you there. If you go out for a run, and after 45 mins you body just isn't feeling it, be sure to call it a day. Don't push because you planned for 90 mins.

You can also try doing a reverse taper. So over the next couple weeks, instead of ramping down, ramp back up to about 60-70% and then take the last week very very easy. You have the fitness, even though you feel like you lost it. So if any of the workouts are just feeling off, call it a day. You are not going to get fitter in the next 3 weeks. The goal is just to not lose fitness that you got in training for IMFL.
2014-11-21 10:25 AM
in reply to: #5061183

User image

Hi Jeff, If this group is still open, please could I join? I'm training for Texas 70.3 (Galveston) in April and if that goes well I'd like to do others and possibly a full IM.
I've been competing in tris for about a year - just had major knee surgery about 6 weeks before I did my first one (too soon for sure but I finished!). To date I have only completed sprints but each performance was an improvement on a previous time. I podiumed this year too! :D I have a whole host of cycling events booked up, a few halves and a couple of Olympics pre 70.3 (I did a relay of this as the swimmer at the Conroe 70.3 about a month ago).
I need to lose about 15-20lbs pre race too.

Anyway.. if it would be ok to join, please let me know - appreciate your time!
Thanks

Steph
2014-11-23 10:11 AM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by journeytoironwoman

Hi Jeff, If this group is still open, please could I join? I'm training for Texas 70.3 (Galveston) in April and if that goes well I'd like to do others and possibly a full IM.
I've been competing in tris for about a year - just had major knee surgery about 6 weeks before I did my first one (too soon for sure but I finished!). To date I have only completed sprints but each performance was an improvement on a previous time. I podiumed this year too! :D I have a whole host of cycling events booked up, a few halves and a couple of Olympics pre 70.3 (I did a relay of this as the swimmer at the Conroe 70.3 about a month ago).
I need to lose about 15-20lbs pre race too.

Anyway.. if it would be ok to join, please let me know - appreciate your time!
Thanks

Steph

Steph,

This is the 2014 mentor group, so it will probably be archived pretty soon. I'd keep my eyes open for the 2015 mentor groups which should be starting soon.

Jeff

2014-11-23 7:51 PM

User image

Thanks!
2014-11-25 4:21 PM
in reply to: #5069020

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.