General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Paltz, New York
United States
CM2 Promotions
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 59m 9s
Overall Rank = 45/67
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

This is a great event, and I am lucky to live less than 45 minutes away. Small, low key, beautiful scenery, and a really challenging course. Not too many BT'ers do it , but it is pretty popular over on Slowtwitch, and the multi page pre race smack talk thread is always entertaining.

I have to say that the people who do the long course (5,84,15, with 3 loops of the bike course, and 3 loops of the run course for the 2nd run), are incredible athletes. The middle distance is F1 format with distances of 5,29,5,29,5, but that is still beyond my ability.

The usual shake about 2 hours before. Instead of my usual "5 hour energy" I had a cup of coffee with cream about 45 minutes before.

It was low fifties and sunny at the start, so I just needed tri shorts and jersey. Nice change from last years heavy rain.
Event warmup:

About a 1/4 mile of easy running.
Run
  • 53m 15s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

This run went OK. I felt a little weak on some of the climbs and "power hiked" some spots a little more than I usually do.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe run a little more aggressively, since I ended up feeling really good on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Too slow! I just had to change shoes, so I don't know what took so long.

Move faster?
Bike
  • 2h 04m 31s
  • 29 miles
  • 13.97 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a tough ride with lots of serious climbing, but I worry more about the descents, because I'm a big chicken. Especially the first descent, which is both steep and technical. Always very happy to get to the bottom. Don't know why I worry so much. I've always made it down no problem, even in the rainy years.

I am very happy with my climbing. I climbed really well, passed one guy on the first climb, and passed a few more on the second big climb.

Did better on the second big descent which is much less curvy, but I still didn't just let myself go.

Stop being a chicken?
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Slow, but not bad. There's plenty of climbing the last few miles of the bike, so I need to catch my breath.
Run
  • 58m 6s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Second run is always tough, because by now my quads are getting tired, and you still have to go up and down the side of the mountain a couple of times. First couple of miles were hard, but then I seemed to get into a groove.

Around mile 3 I realized I had a chance of meeting my goal of going under 4 hours, so it was time to push myself. Mile 3-4 is mostly steep down hill on wide carriage trails, so it's a great spot to pick up some time. There were a few people in front of me I was able to catch, so that was some extra motivation.

Around mile 4 you hit some single track again. I power hiked the uphill parts, and then I was running pretty fast downhill. I was figuring in my head what I would have to do to break 4 hours, guess I wasn't focusing on the trail, and boom, tripped over a rock or root, and fell. Nice shoulder roll, rolled over once, and laid there for a few seconds. Felt like everything hurt, especially this weird stabbing pain in my upper left abdomen just below my ribs. Realized I wasn't bleeding or anything, so I said out loud, "Get up, weenie." Well, I said something a little more vulgar than weenie, so luckily no one was around to hear me. I did get up, managed to finish strong, and beat my goal of 4 hours.

Wouldn't you know; all that worrying about crashing on the bike, and I end up crashing on the run.

Not fall?
Post race
Warm down:

Pain in my abdomen went away, so I was able to enjoy my post race watermelon, chili, burgers and beer. Outstanding!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow, don't train enough, and I'm getting older.

Event comments:

A great race. I will be back every year for as long as I can keep running and riding.

Last updated: 2014-01-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:15 | 05 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 59/67
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly trail run, with a fair amount of single track. 1200 ft elevation gain and loss.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:32
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
02:04:31 | 29 miles | 13.97 mile/hr
Overall: 44/67
Wind:
Course: Hilly!! Over 3000 ft. elevation gain and loss.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:06 | 05 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 47/67
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-23 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course

2014-05-23 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5000929

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course

Nice work on some serious climbing and a fall to boot!!  You did great!!

2014-05-24 6:24 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course

Great race Anthony!  Those are some big hills in that race! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course

Started by amschrod
Views: 1113 Posts: 1

2012-05-25 2:29 PM amschrod

American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 881 Posts: 1

2011-12-21 1:04 PM doctorbob18

American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course (Duathlon - Middle Distance)

Started by czechchick15
Views: 1984 Posts: 1

2011-05-23 8:16 PM czechchick15

Started by amschrod
Views: 1056 Posts: 5

2011-05-20 2:46 PM JohnnyKay

Started by amschrod
Views: 1498 Posts: 3

2010-08-14 10:15 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!