General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I love HS track Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-27 9:22 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: RE: I love HS track
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by wannatri? Nothing better than watching your kids run track!!! I was a state qualifier in multiple events back in the day and this weekend I had the pleasure of watching my 8th grade son compete in the Illinois State track meet. Last year I watched him in the agony of defeat. As a 7th grader running track for the first time he ran ran the 400 and won his first race in the first meet of the year. He went the rest of the season undefeated until sectionals where he got edged out by two strong runners and missed state by 2 tenths of a second. I couldn't talk to him, hug him or anything. He had to deal with it in his own way. He didn't speak for a over an hour. His first words were "Dad.... There is no off season. I'm going to state next year" Wow. Proud dad moment. He worked hard in the off season. Ran cross country in the fall to build endurance even though he hated distance(I'm working on that part) Made it to state this year! Nothing better than seeing your kid succeed!. I'm just sad that track is over

That's excellent!   Congrats to your son and you!

How do they have sectional/state meets for 7th and 8th graders?  You have to be at least 9th grade here....and there is no XC for middle school kids except for a district wide one race meet.  They practice a dozen days or so and then go race.....but nothing as far as competing against kids from other school districts.

My kid is NOT sad that track is over....he's ready for triathlon. 

We have Jr High track and cross country they seem to race a season of 6 or 7 meets.

2014-05-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Originally posted by wannatri? Nothing better than watching your kids run track!!! I was a state qualifier in multiple events back in the day and this weekend I had the pleasure of watching my 8th grade son compete in the Illinois State track meet. Last year I watched him in the agony of defeat. As a 7th grader running track for the first time he ran ran the 400 and won his first race in the first meet of the year. He went the rest of the season undefeated until sectionals where he got edged out by two strong runners and missed state by 2 tenths of a second. I couldn't talk to him, hug him or anything. He had to deal with it in his own way. He didn't speak for a over an hour. His first words were "Dad.... There is no off season. I'm going to state next year" Wow. Proud dad moment. He worked hard in the off season. Ran cross country in the fall to build endurance even though he hated distance(I'm working on that part) Made it to state this year! Nothing better than seeing your kid succeed!. I'm just sad that track is over

How do they have sectional/state meets for 7th and 8th graders?  You have to be at least 9th grade here....and there is no XC for middle school kids except for a district wide one race meet.  They practice a dozen days or so and then go race.....but nothing as far as competing against kids from other school districts.

We have Jr High track and cross country they seem to race a season of 6 or 7 meets.

What state?

2014-05-27 9:57 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I just want to say again, like I do in most of your threads about this subject, how much I enjoy following along. This is a great post and a great thread.

Better eat their Wheaties next year....... Kind of gives me chills thinking about how hard he is going to work to change the results a year from now.

Just really, really cool.

Congratulations.
2014-05-27 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

What state?

Ohio
2014-05-27 12:50 PM

I am actually trying to determine if I want to go watch my cousin's son compete at the state meet. It appears that he will qualify in the 100m based upon last years qualifying times. Looking at his times he will not make it to the finals. So do I take the morning off of work to go watch him for less than 12 seconds?
2014-05-27 4:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Sidney Porter I am actually trying to determine if I want to go watch my cousin's son compete at the state meet. It appears that he will qualify in the 100m based upon last years qualifying times. Looking at his times he will not make it to the finals. So do I take the morning off of work to go watch him for less than 12 seconds?

No, you take the WHOLE day off to watch some great kids!  It's raw emotion and sport at it's finest.......I will sit through 2 days of it this weekend and enjoy watching amazing kids who truly are the future of sports and society.  It beats the hell out of believing, like some people do, that the next generation is a mess.....so far from the truth. 

Congrats to your cousin's son......you never know when one of these kids will pull something extraordinary off.....go watch.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-27 4:24 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I love HS track Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Garmin $50 rebate for HS/College Students on 910XT

Started by KebaNYC
Views: 1291 Posts: 7

2012-10-12 5:29 PM Hydroslyder

Questions for those who run track/do speed work on a track?

Started by chicagosurfer
Views: 1415 Posts: 20

2011-03-24 3:44 PM chicagosurfer

Am I the only idiot that does track workouts, in the snow, at the track?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 1561 Posts: 21

2008-01-17 8:45 AM Scout7

HS Track Etiquette- Maybe a rant

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 1157 Posts: 12

2005-05-28 2:31 PM NYtrigal

back on track...(Plus a funny little newbie story)

Started by djoye
Views: 887 Posts: 13

2004-07-08 8:08 PM djoye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : sbkass
comments : 8
I am not suggesting that I have turned into Aquaman or have grown gills or that I am a really great swimmer. I am none of those. But I have learned to love the swim.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : December 22, 2008
author : ecnefoop
comments : 9
I had been very fit until I turned the legal age for the two demons: drinking and smoking. Unfortunately, from my 18th birthday, my once fit swimmer's body went downhill and wide very fast.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.
date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports