General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » any advice for a newbie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-25 4:17 PM

User image

Subject: any advice for a newbie?
I'm new to this site and new to triathlons. I'm aiming for my first triathlon in August which gives me 10 weeks to train. I'm aiming for the olympic distance instead of the sprint but I'm a little worried as it seems most sites recommend that you have done at least one sprint before you attempt an olympic one. I'm fairly fit and the sprint doesn't seem like a big enough challenge (pretty much just a good gym session), although I have no previous experience and that's what I'm nervous about.

Any advice would be really welcome!

Also, can anyone recommend a good 10 week training plan? The one on this site looks great but I can't afford to upgrade to silver!

Thanks!

2014-05-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: Sio

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: RE: any advice for a newbie?
Originally posted by Sio

I'm new to this site and new to triathlons. I'm aiming for my first triathlon in August which gives me 10 weeks to train. I'm aiming for the olympic distance instead of the sprint but I'm a little worried as it seems most sites recommend that you have done at least one sprint before you attempt an olympic one. I'm fairly fit and the sprint doesn't seem like a big enough challenge (pretty much just a good gym session), although I have no previous experience and that's what I'm nervous about.

Any advice would be really welcome!

Also, can anyone recommend a good 10 week training plan? The one on this site looks great but I can't afford to upgrade to silver!

Thanks!

Welcome to BT and the challenge. Need a lot more information here before offering guidance. What's your swim fitness and experience in open water. Many fit individuals can fake their way through a bike or a run leg, but the swim (although the shortest) leg brings many challenges an inexperienced triathlete needs to prepare for. The swim leg in Oly distance races is proportionately the longest of any of the typical distances.

There are plenty of people who don't start at the sprint distance so an Oly start is not that crazy - just depends on your readiness.

The most important thing when racing is to be safe - not just for you but for the other participants and the organizers. Although the distance may seem like a long gym workout, I can assure you there is much more. The more you can educate yourself on this site and elsewhere, the more prepared you will be and less nervous.

Enjoy.
2014-06-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Thanks for the reply. The swim is the part I am most nervous about. I used to swim a lot in the past so my technique is pretty good, but I'll have to get my swim fitness back up and I've never done any long distance swimming in open water. My plan is to aim for and train for the olympic distance, but if I feel like its too much or I can't get my swimming up to standard I'll go for the sprint. Fingers crossed!
2014-06-10 11:41 AM
in reply to: Sio

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT and the multisport world.  

No reason you can't choose an Olympic distance race as your first.  Expect it to be 2 1/2---3 hours with 30-45 minutes swimming non-stop at the beginning.  

Most training plans are 20 weeks long, but you can still be ready for the race in 10 weeks.  

Get out and start moving.  Swim a couple times a week until you are comfortable swimming 1500 meters.  A basic training plan might have you swimming 3x a week, running 3x a week, and riding 3x a week.  Most of these workouts can be 30-45 minutes.  You can do a long ride of 60-90 minutes and a long run of 60 minutes.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » any advice for a newbie? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie Needs Advice and Motivation

Started by Shanes
Views: 858 Posts: 4

2006-04-04 9:30 PM Ron

Newbie who loves advice.

Started by The Nat
Views: 938 Posts: 10

2005-05-29 11:27 AM BellinghamSpence

Newbie needing bike advice

Started by everetts19
Views: 1058 Posts: 10

2005-03-30 12:55 PM lisazapato

Advice for a newbie

Started by rastaviking
Views: 1094 Posts: 4

2004-12-25 9:15 PM ez-day

Newbie could use some, well a lot, of advice

Started by Whit
Views: 1179 Posts: 7

2004-03-23 9:11 AM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!