General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Book recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-26 12:32 PM

Subject: Book recommendations?
Hello! I have signed up for my first two sprints this summer and am looking for some reading material to improve my workouts and training plan. I'm a big nerd with a doctorate in nursing, so technical is okay. I've done a lot of reading online, here and other sites, and would like something more. I've read the reviews of Friel's Training Bible, and it sounds like it isn't really written for beginners. I come from a swimming background, and have been running for about a year, so I'm not totally new to endurance sports. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

2014-05-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: MMW37

Subject: RE: Book recommendations?
I am the opposite. The more technical it is, the more lost I am. However, I do have a favorite triathlon book. Its called Trizophrenia, by Jef Mallet. Read it, just trust me on this one!

Wait, you want a book about actual training? Well okay then... My boyfriend devoured Triathlon Science by Joe Friel and Jim Vance. He's reading it on his kindle, so its hard to say how dense the book is, but thinking about it now, he may not have finished it yet. It has all the details of triathlon mechanics/science that you could ever want! He HIGHLY recommends it.
2014-05-27 12:03 PM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
I’ve asked and seen several other people ask for book recommendations on the www.beginnertriathlon.com forums. The link below has a list of books I’ve read, books recommended by others, and/or books I’m planning to read. Also is a short review of the books I’ve read.

http://results-may-vary-triathlon-life.blogspot.com/p/books_19.html

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions and/or comments on my book reviews and I’ll add them.

2014-05-27 1:37 PM

The caution I offer to you is to make sure you recognize that most of the books I have seen are written by high-end performs, which may or may not be you. I was following a training program from a book that turned out to be too much for me. For my age and the fact that I have a full time demanding job, I just could not keep up. I ended up getting injured from over training. At physical theropy my theropist cautioned me to listen to my body, train to the level I feel comfortable at, and recognize what my goal is compared to that of the author. Their goal was to win, my goal was to finish. After I got my head on straight, I trained significantly less than what the book recommended, and I have happily been able to complete two HIM's.

At the end of the day, just make sure that the author's goals and your goals are in sync.
2014-05-27 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5001768

Thanks! I'm just a researcher by nature, so I want to learn more about my new hobby. I'll check some of these out!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Book recommendations? Rss Feed