General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Setup Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-27 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Subject: Transition Setup
I have a local race coming up that I have done the past 3 years. It is a great course and has been well run previously. Found out the race has been sold and has a new company running it. One of the immediate changes that they made (that we just found out about late last week via e-mail) was that they are now assigning transition spots. In the past it was first come, first served as is the case in many races. This particular race has 2 separate transition areas. In the past, packet pick up was on Saturday, get there, get in line early, get your bib etc. and head quickly to T2 to set up your run gear for the following morning. Get up early, get to T1 race morning and grab a rack spot, the closer to the bike exit, the better as it is less running with the bike.

The response from the "new" race director was that it was in the spirit of fair competition that they were using USAT best practices and fair guidelines in setting up the transition areas. OK, cool. I guess that sounds legit. The only problem is that the areas that contain T1 and T2 are not even close to the same size. Meaning, if I have a shorter run with the bike in T1, I should have a longer run with my bike in T2. That way it evens out. But I don't see how they are going to make that happen with the real estate they have to work with. Did I have an advantage under the old system? Yes, I did. But, I also was up at 3:00 am in order to get to the venue as early as transition opened to get my spot. I also got to packet pickup early and stood in line for quite some time. My point being that these advantages were available to all athletes if they chose to do so. We would hear the groans from the guys who showed up at 6:15 and had to move down the line to rack their SC or P5! Hey, T1 opened at 5:00, I was there at 5:01. I guess the early bird no longer gets the worm! It's all good for me, I am top 1/3 at best. But, some of the local beasts are not happy about it. Guess we all have to just work a bit harder is all!

2014-05-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Transition Setup
Originally posted by Coach Gil

I have a local race coming up that I have done the past 3 years. It is a great course and has been well run previously. Found out the race has been sold and has a new company running it. One of the immediate changes that they made (that we just found out about late last week via e-mail) was that they are now assigning transition spots. In the past it was first come, first served as is the case in many races. This particular race has 2 separate transition areas. In the past, packet pick up was on Saturday, get there, get in line early, get your bib etc. and head quickly to T2 to set up your run gear for the following morning. Get up early, get to T1 race morning and grab a rack spot, the closer to the bike exit, the better as it is less running with the bike.

The response from the "new" race director was that it was in the spirit of fair competition that they were using USAT best practices and fair guidelines in setting up the transition areas. OK, cool. I guess that sounds legit. The only problem is that the areas that contain T1 and T2 are not even close to the same size. Meaning, if I have a shorter run with the bike in T1, I should have a longer run with my bike in T2. That way it evens out. But I don't see how they are going to make that happen with the real estate they have to work with. Did I have an advantage under the old system? Yes, I did. But, I also was up at 3:00 am in order to get to the venue as early as transition opened to get my spot. I also got to packet pickup early and stood in line for quite some time. My point being that these advantages were available to all athletes if they chose to do so. We would hear the groans from the guys who showed up at 6:15 and had to move down the line to rack their SC or P5! Hey, T1 opened at 5:00, I was there at 5:01. I guess the early bird no longer gets the worm! It's all good for me, I am top 1/3 at best. But, some of the local beasts are not happy about it. Guess we all have to just work a bit harder is all!

Ok, newb question. Doesn't everybody have to enter T1 on one side and leave on the other? And also enter T2 on one side and leave on the other? So you are worried about having to push your bike a little further than somebody else?
2014-05-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Every race I have ever done has had assigned spots based on bib numbers.  Even local small sprints.  I can't imagine first come first serve transition spots being a smoother way of doing things. 

2014-05-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Clempson

Every race I have ever done has had assigned spots based on bib numbers.  Even local small sprints.  I can't imagine first come first serve transition spots being a smoother way of doing things. 

You'd love my local Y race. If you get there early you put your bike right by the T1 exit, which is also the T2 entrance and exit!

So, you don't have to run your bike through any racks after the swim or at the end of your bike leg!
2014-05-27 3:26 PM

User image

Yeah...especially if it's a race big enough to sell out.  Generally AG's will be racked together, so that should keep the AG racing on an even field.  There could be an advantage for others in terms of the overall, but in general, I've noticed that bigger races also have an elite division...again, where they are racked in the same area to keep them on an even playing field as well.

2014-05-27 3:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Yeah...especially if it's a race big enough to sell out.  Generally AG's will be racked together, so that should keep the AG racing on an even field.  There could be an advantage for others in terms of the overall, but in general, I've noticed that bigger races also have an elite division...again, where they are racked in the same area to keep them on an even playing field as well.

I've seen all these variations. The ones that have more defined and assigned spots tend to go better. Not always, but trending that way. I think it's for more reasons than just this as well. Some small, random ones can attract a number of people who just get along well. The "elite" option has been another thing that has helped too.

2014-05-27 3:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Jason N

yes but I have seen rack that are 4 deep to the isle, so if you get there early you are sitting right on the isle and have 40 ft less running to do. no big deal for most but if was a close finish it could be the difference between winning and losing.

I prefer the assigned spots, everything seems to go smoother with them. spots are random, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
2014-05-29 4:40 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia

Same here...very surprising they would think it's smoother. Plus, don't you want to be able to talk smack to all the other people in your AG before the race?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Setup Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Transition Setup Re-Hearsal Pages: 1 2

Started by jschristian44
Views: 2339 Posts: 38

2011-08-12 9:35 PM jschristian44

HELP!! (re: transition setup)

Started by ptg1002
Views: 1101 Posts: 7

2009-09-17 12:25 PM ptg1002

Transition setup on a windy day

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 637 Posts: 1

2009-08-07 2:39 PM BuckHamilton

Transition Setup/ "Marking your territory" Pages: 1 2

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 2839 Posts: 48

2009-07-06 8:55 PM chandy14ski

Transition setup etiquette

Started by ball6135
Views: 1610 Posts: 17

2007-09-10 4:29 PM TriMike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 10, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Learn why two bottles behind the saddle along with and aero drink bottle mount between the aerobars is the best combination of convenience and aerodynamics for HIM and IM racing.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : January 16, 2008
author : hillarybiscay
Our members chat with Hillary Biscay on Ironman racing and training, fluid and nutrition setup, Ironman post race rest, massages, mental training, becoming faster on the bike and swimming.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.