Madison Festivals
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 55s
Overall Rank = 30/1178
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/82
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I signed up for the Conquer the Capital Challenge, which was this 10k occurring at 8PM Saturday night and a half marathon Sunday morning at 7AM. Also this would be my sister-in-law's first half marathon! I've been battling a variety of injuries since November of last year (really the last two years), but I got a decent block of training in March and April so I was hopeful I could continue that and do pretty well in this event. Well about 2 weeks ago I had a recurrence of what has become a very painful and frequent hip flexor injury, so all bets were off. I got a couple half hour massages, foam rolled, and took 3 days off leading up to the race. We got to town around noon and did packet pickup, then grabbed some Red Robin for lunch. Pretty much just chilled at the pool at the hotel for a few hours, then got an early dinner at Noodles prior to the race. We got to the start pretty early and just sat at the capitol for 30 min or so prior to getting lined up, but it was a nice evening so I didn't mind that at all.
Event warmup:

Just some walking and light stretching.
Run
  • 42m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to not shoot myself in the foot for the next morning's half marathon, and I more or less managed to do that. Probably hit it a little harder than I should have though given my injury situation, but the hip actually felt pretty good. Bascom hill was tough and the course actually felt a lot tougher than I was expecting it to. I definitely should have carried a bottle, there were 2 aid stations but I was feeling a little depleted by the end. I'm a bigger guy for a runner and I sweat a lot, so that's something I always struggle with. Pretty happy with the effort and loved the course!
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot beyond carry a bottle and not get injured all the time lately.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bunch of water and sport drink, ate a slice of Rocky Rococo, got my gear check bag, and waited for my wife to finish up. Stretched pretty good and headed back to the hotel to take an Epsom salt bath before bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries mostly.

Event comments:

Really liked the laid back vibe of this race. Good times!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:55 | 06.2 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/82
Overall: 30/1178
Performance: Good
Course: The course featured the capitol square, the always fun Bascom hill, the Camp Randall stadium area, and State Street. Really nice and scenic, and rolling to very hilly throughout.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-27 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Madison Marathon Twilight 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Marathon Twilight 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Madison Marathon Twilight 10K

Started by eazyc10
Views: 590 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 4:20 PM eazyc10

Madison Marathon Quarter Marathon

Started by cathyv
Views: 662 Posts: 1

2011-10-09 3:18 PM cathyv

Callway Gardens 10K Twilight Run

Started by Tikijenn
Views: 835 Posts: 1

2009-11-09 3:27 PM Tikijenn

Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon/Half Marathon/10K

Started by nuttysami123
Views: 1176 Posts: 2

2009-05-19 12:42 PM lastcall2003

The 30th Annual Madison Courier Firecracker 10K Walk/Run

Started by Matt True
Views: 1851 Posts: 1

2008-07-11 6:12 PM Matt True
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 0
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.