General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big changes for LA Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-27 3:58 PM

User image

Subject: Big changes for LA Triathlon

Word on the street is that LA is putting the LA Triathlon out for bid to a new RD.

At the same time, Pacific Sports, the company that has put on LA for years, has gotten approval for a course down in Torrance on the same date (9/21/14) as the date LA is supposed to be on. 

New course would only be a couple blocks from my house but is a horrible multiple loop on narrow residential streets affair, so doubt I'd be doing it (which is too bad).  Not sure if that will be the new "LA tri" or something else altogether.  If it goes forward as planned (5 loop oly, 2 or 3 loop sprint), it would be a Very difficult course (and pretty dangerous in my .02)

2014-05-27 4:28 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Big changes for LA Triathlon

Wow, that sounds like Sour grapes one the part of the old RD. 

I bet the new race does all sorts of things to get folks to do THEIR race instead of LA Tri. (Cheaper Rates, big givaways, NO USAT Registration)

Should be interesting to see how this affects attendance at other big races in the end of September. (Carp, Tri Rock. Magic Mountain. Super Frog etc.)

2014-06-06 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
The supposed change, from what I have heard, is to try to make it a draft legal race. Torrance wold be cool, but I am not too sure about the loops of the bike. I know the RB tri does that with that nasty down and up by the Redondo pier parking lot
2014-06-06 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Anybody ever put on a race that goes around or over the PV peninsula?  Probably too many intersections and traffic issues, but that would be a challenging route.  There is some decent climbing there.

2014-06-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Anybody ever put on a race that goes around or over the PV peninsula?  Probably too many intersections and traffic issues, but that would be a challenging route.  There is some decent climbing there.

This has always been my IM Palos Verdes route:  Point to Point Topaz Jetty to Malaga swim, 3 loops of PV on the bike, 1 loop on the run.  I can dream yeah?  They have a hard enough time with the donut ride up there, much less actually closing streets.

They recently canceled the PV half marathon due to high fees demanded.

No freaking way

The Torrance race is bad enough, make it draft legal?  That's even worse.

2014-06-06 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by SevenZulu

This has always been my IM Palos Verdes route:  Point to Point Topaz Jetty to Malaga swim, 3 loops of PV on the bike, 1 loop on the run.  I can dream yeah?  They have a hard enough time with the donut ride up there, much less actually closing streets.

They recently canceled the PV half marathon due to high fees demanded.

No freaking way

The Torrance race is bad enough, make it draft legal?  That's even worse.

That sounds like a great route you've got there.  Back when I was living there I only swam in pools and hadn't started running.  But I did really enjoy my rides around the peninsula, climbing Hawthorne from the coast (too much traffic from the front side for my taste), and also a bit of a climb up PV east.  I had another route up from PV north that wound through residential neighborhoods near some golf course, but I forget the streets now.  I can remember one or two close calls with peacocks while descending.  I really liked that area, and wish I'd bought a home when it was within my budget.

2014-06-06 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
I stopped doing LA TRi because it was so steeply priced.
Olympic plus the bus ride = 265$. The bike course USED
to be epic and include Wilshire's Miracle mile, Riding past those mansions on Highland
and some mileage on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset with a nice little climb
over near the Disney concert hall. To get that scenery and more now
you have to run LA Marathon . Id better get out of the pool and off the bike and get
those long runs in

2014-06-27 2:19 PM
in reply to: van_paulus

User image

Originally posted by van_paulus I stopped doing LA TRi because it was so steeply priced. Olympic plus the bus ride = 265$. The bike course USED to be epic and include Wilshire's Miracle mile, Riding past those mansions on Highland and some mileage on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset with a nice little climb over near the Disney concert hall. To get that scenery and more now you have to run LA Marathon . Id better get out of the pool and off the bike and get those long runs in

The only year I did it, it was this course.  Then they went to loops on Venice.

Accdg to their facebook page, registration for Torrance opens July 1.

I don't root for any triathlon to fail, as I think that's bad for the sport.  My mama also said if you don't have anything nice to say......  so............I will be there to watch, hopefully a successful race. 

2014-07-09 2:03 PM

User image

So, I've now taken a look at the course, and other than the crowd and safety issues it is going to be a beast.

Swim has a long ramp up to T1 following a long sand run.

Bike climbs right out of T1, and over the 5 loops there's nealry 2000 feet of climbing over 23.5 miles (accdg to mapmyride, so who knows how accurate, but even if 10% high, that's still 1800 feet- Oceanside by comparison has about 2400-2500 feet over 56 miles....).

Run is 4 loops of 2.5 K with on 1/2 sand.  Not going to be much hard pack as the hi tide is around 9 am that mornng.  Also includes 4X up same ramp to T1 following swim.

very very difficult course.

2014-08-07 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
I signed up for the Super Sprint since I have cut back my training due to my wife having a baby 2 weeks prior to race day. I rode the bike course...it is a pain. lots of hills, and climbs all the way out, then crazy and steep downhill they way back in. I am wondering what they were thinking when they designed this course thinking it would be okay for ITU. Now if they went down towards Redondo Beach on Catalina and did some of the climbing...okay.

The run course I am not going to even talk about cause sand running and my achilles don't mix. So I am anticipating fast swim, slow transition, slow bike and an even slower run.
2014-09-11 1:56 AM
in reply to: spjon25

User image

Veteran
For those still wondering, they want to make a giant sand hill on the run course, similar to the Escape from Alcatraz sand ladder. The run course is not finalized.

To prevent speeding on the bike, they are using hay bales on the corners.

Ya know Pacific Sports usually runs a tight ship with many of their events. (Long Beach and Newport tri) however, they have really dropped the ball on this race and are trying to become greedy with it. The bike course sucks, and they refuse to listen to advice or answer questions.

2014-09-12 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by spjon25For those still wondering, they want to make a giant sand hill on the run course, similar to the Escape from Alcatraz sand ladder. The run course is not finalized. To prevent speeding on the bike, they are using hay bales on the corners.Ya know Pacific Sports usually runs a tight ship with many of their events. (Long Beach and Newport tri) however, they have really dropped the ball on this race and are trying to become greedy with it. The bike course sucks, and they refuse to listen to advice or answer questions.
LOL. The bottom of the big downhill is a two minute bike ride from my house. I'll definitely be out there watching. Hay bales are (sadly) a good idea and likely to be used. If they want a sand ladder-ish feature, I know what they will use, it's already in place. This has got to be one of the worst race courses ever. Seems that folks simply sign up for the "la triathlon" no matter what, so seems the rd doesn't really care.

wait, 2 weeks away and not finalized?? Oy

Edited by ChrisM 2014-09-12 10:03 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big changes for LA Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nautica Malibu Triathlon vs. LA Triathlon

Started by C.J.
Views: 3857 Posts: 8

2011-03-21 5:58 PM derek31

LA Triathlon Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by goran007
Views: 4380 Posts: 90

2007-09-12 8:29 AM hundoracer

LA Triathlon

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1054 Posts: 8

2006-11-27 5:18 PM van_paulus

LA Triathlon anyone??

Started by Tri_Wombat
Views: 1098 Posts: 13

2006-08-30 3:27 PM ChrisM

LA Triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1154 Posts: 12

2005-08-19 4:27 PM esparkhu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?