United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 45s
Overall Rank = 150/2350
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/164
Pre-race routine:

This is the second half of the Conquer the Capitol Challenge (the first half being the 10k the previous night). My oft-injured hip flexor felt really bad when I got up in the morning, so I figured it would be a somewhat long day. I tried to stretch as much as I could and also rubbed some Biofreeze on it just before the start and that did help some. Being my sister-in-law's first half marathon, I got a bunch of pictures with her and my wife before the start, then lined up waaaaay far back because the corral was already packed 15 min. before the start. Oops.
Event warmup:

Just walking and light stretching.
Run
  • 1h 38m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty much felt like ass from the start and couldn't do much for pace. I had to stop every mile or two to stretch out my hip and IT band just to be able to keep a somewhat normal stride. I did carry a bottle so hydration was pretty good. The last few miles were tough though. Pretty happy with this time given all that.
What would you do differently?:

Don't push the 10k quite as hard the night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bunch of water and sport drink, had some cookies, grabbed my gear bag, and stretched. Cheered my wife and my sister-in-law on when they finished!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury for the most part.

Event comments:

Enjoyed the race, really a nice course. I ended up finishing 19/311 in the Conquer the Capital Challenge with a combined time of 2:21:40.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:45 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/164
Overall: 150/2350
Performance: Average
Course: First few miles were the same as the 10k around the capitol square, Bascom hill, and Camp Randall. The course went out and through the arboretum, then returned to town and went up State Street to the finish. Fairly hilly throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-27 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Madison Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Madison Marathon - Half

Started by eazyc10
Views: 693 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 4:21 PM eazyc10

Madison Marathon Quarter Marathon

Started by cathyv
Views: 660 Posts: 1

2011-10-09 3:18 PM cathyv

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by willrunforchocolate
Views: 1644 Posts: 2

2011-04-16 5:36 PM linfieldpt

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3056 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.