General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What goggles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Subject: RE: What goggles
Aqua Sphere Kayenne works for me. I have a need for wider width goggles. TYR special ops 2 work as does the blueseventy hydrovision. I wanted my Zoggs Predator transitional lens to work but they are not quite wide enough for me.

2014-05-29 9:30 PM

Aqua Sphere Kayenne or the Kaiman.

No way would I ever wear sweds!
2014-05-29 9:59 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by KatieLimb Another vote for Aquasphere Kayenne. Best ones ever

Piling on here, but I agree.

Same!

My kids call them "old man goggles"...........I'm good with it.

2014-05-29 11:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
For races I use Zoggs Reactor photochromatic. The lens tinting adjusts according to the light conditions. I have found they work really well and are comfortable. They are a bit pricey but I don't need multiple pairs with different tint levels depending on cloud cover. This is especially helpful for where I live as the light conditions can change from bright blinding sun to overcast during the period of a sprint swim.

For training I just use one of the multiple other pairs that I have had for years.
2014-05-30 12:04 AM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Stuckinthemiddle Whatever you get - be sure to try them on before. If you press them over your eyes ,they should stay without the band around the back of your head. That said , I can't imagine the Aquasphere Kayenne not fitting anyone, except like maybe sasquatch

Good advice. Goggles are like saddles--it's so individual it's impossible to say.

For example, Aquasphere Kayennes do not fit me (I often wear junior or children's goggles and still make the nosepiece on the smallest setting. Not possible with most OWS goggles; they'll leak. If I suck them on super tight, they're very uncomfortable and the seal is right on the inner pink of my eyelids. Awful).

Speedo Vanquishers are a pretty small racing goggle. In this thread, you loosely have two groups of respondents: those favoring larger-lens, wider OWS type goggles, and then those who like Swedes/Socket-style goggles. If you're wanting to change up from the Vanquisher (every major brand makes goggles similar to the vanquisher), the Swedish/socket-style goggles will be more similar. If you're wanting to make a radical change to big OWS goggles, then try Aquasphere Kayennes (although again, every major brand makes similar OWS goggles too).

For training, I wear small goggles (junior's racing goggles or Socket Rockets, have a couple pairs similar to Vanquisher as well. Yes, former competitive swimmer. Actually, current.)

For racing, I wear a larger version of small racing goggles, for the following reasons (pic below):

1. That just a bit more of lens gives greater visibility

2. I've been elbowed in the eye several times in the scrum of triathlon mass starts in OW, and wearing socket goggles REALLY hurts when that happens (bigger goggles significantly less so).

3. In cold water (I live in the tropics, anything below lukewarm is cold to me), that extra enclosed space on my face, especially around my sinuses, makes a difference in warmth and the perception of warmth. If I could get OWS goggles to fit, I'd wear them. So if cold is an issue for you, you may want to go bigger.

2014-05-30 5:36 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Swedish.

The cheapest and arguably best working piece of tri gear I own.

2014-05-30 7:43 AM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Everyone's head and face is a different shape and finding the right goggle for you will be a trial and error process.

I have probably tried a dozen pairs of goggles over the years until I found the best goggle for me (Tyr Spec Ops 2.0).  I went through several pairs of Aquasphere, Speedo, Tyr, B70, etc. before finding them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What goggles Rss Feed  

of 2