Mattoon Multisport
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 40s
Overall Rank = 1/84
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Well the night before we went to my sister's wedding reception. They had some really good BBq for dinner there. I didn't have one single drink other than water the whole night and we were in bed by 10. At some point before my alarm was going to go off I woke up to a lot of stomach pain/pukey feelings. I was just miserable. I got out of bed and got ready and didn't even feel like eating anything. I went ahead and headed out for the 50 minute drive down there and had to make an emergency stop at a McDonalds otw down to destroy their bathroom...(sorry McD staffers...I guess maybe you deserve 15$ an hour if you gotta clean that up)...lol

Made it to the race site and all I had ate was half a banana. It was about all I could stomach. Got transition set up and did some walking around. Stomach felt a little better but it wasn't going to be good. Tried running/jogging a little bit and well lets just say I stopped that immediately.
Event warmup:

I did get in the pool and swim. The water temp had to be around 72 or so. It was chilly but I've been in colder without a wetsuit. It was a pool swim btw.
Swim
  • 03m 40s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

They did a TT style start where you lined up based on your' swimming ability. I went to the front and no one else seemed they wanted to be up there for the start. I think the swim went really well. It was done with pretty quick it seemed and I had the fastest swim time out of everyone there.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Maybe when I ran into the pool not kinda fall forward when I hit the deeper water and been more graceful...lol.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

T1 went well. When I was exited T1 I looked back and didn't even see anyone coming out of the pool area yet which was a good sign for me. Got the helmet on and got going pretty good. Think I was the fastest T1 time or at least in the top 1-3 people.

Nothing
Bike
  • 32m 19s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 23.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this is where my stomach started to give me issues. About 3-4 miles into the bike you are out in the country and I puked up some. Let it fly off to the side and washed everything back down with the sports drink. After that I felt ok for a little bit. I had a good tail wind going out and was hitting 28+ mph at times. The course really was flat. Got to the turnaround and I had at least a two minute gap in between the guy in second place which meant he wasn't really putting any gains on me. At about the same point on the way back I threw up one last time. Really was getting worried how the run was going to go because I was starting to not feel so hot anymore. The head wind on the way back sucked with the stomach issues because I just couldn't push it like I had been.

Not be sick. Had more miles on the bike training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

T2 went good. I was dreading this run even though before all my stomach issues were happening the day before I was looking forward to really letting it stretch out and go for it. Shoes went on good and away I went.

Nothing
Run
  • 17m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

This was pure hell. My stomach didn't want me running. I though I was going to projectile vomit to start with but got it under control. As I ran by the RD shortly into the course he yelled at me if I was going for the course record and I mumbled back that it probably wasn't going to happen due to me puking on his bike course. Haha.

I did not run as fast as they had me going on this. The course was only 2.85 miles long according to my GPS and I have never ran a sub 18:00m 5k before. I think I could do it in a stand alone race but a tri...hmmm. Either way the run was just miserable but I was giving it about all I could to the point of not throwing up and still trying to maintain the lead overall. After the turnaround point it was still another couple minutes before I saw the 2nd place guy.

Once I got closer to the finish my stomach was really starting to let me know it wanted a break so I had to slow down some. I was very happy to be done and just sat down and talked to the wife and boy.

Not get the flu/whatever the heck it was...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little and sat down. Waited for the next couple guys to finish and congratulated them. I wanted to find a spot to curl up into a ball and die...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach bug/flu. It wasn't food poisoning because it lasted until this Wednesday morning so that's about 4-5 days of being sick.

Event comments:

The race is a small deal affair. Overall it's not a bad deal though. The course needs to be longer on the run but otherwise it's good. Really wish I had been 100% though. I guess it proves what the human body can put out still when you are feeling like you want to die. It was nice to win another race at the end of the day.

Last updated: 2014-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:40 | 300 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 1/84
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: An M shaped pool swim. This was a wider long beach style pool with no lanes. It was a TT style start where you swim a M out and back then back out again before finishing and running about 150 yards to T1
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:19 | 12.5 miles | 23.21 mile/hr
Overall: 3/84
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: A out and back North to south trip.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:43 | 03 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 2/84
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop around the park where triathlon was staged then it was an out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-29 6:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Lytle Park Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lytle Park Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lytle Park Triathlon

Started by cnixon83
Views: 1423 Posts: 1

2013-06-29 3:24 PM cnixon83

Lytle Park Triathlon

Started by maddog12
Views: 1055 Posts: 1

2011-05-31 3:35 PM maddog12

Lytle Park Triathlon

Started by ExitTx
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2008-08-18 7:20 PM ExitTx

Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series, Richard B. Russell State Park

Started by jteddy39.3
Views: 2135 Posts: 4

2007-06-04 2:41 PM jonathan22

Tri the Parks Triathlon and Duathlon, Richard B. Russell State Park

Started by FALLS-RUNNER
Views: 1331 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 8:50 AM FALLS-RUNNER
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!