General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newnan, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

Met up with Derek at his house and rode together down to Newnan. Chatted about the race, etc. on the way down.
Event warmup:

Not much, more chatting with everyone than anything.
Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

The new course really freed up the first 200m. I came out start, like everyone else, felt good with a strong kick and fast turnover. Apparently, I was pointing my toes a bit too hard, and my left calf started to cramp...more like a lock up, so I switched to a two-beat kick. It started to loosen, but was already sore at that point. Swim on. Around the 200m mark came the first real contact. Two guys, one on each side, and the battle was on to the first turn buoy. I cut inside and rounded right next to the buoy and freed up space. From there I found what I thought was a good rhythm to the exit. Exited the water for a time check and was like "what is that crap?" Must have taken a nap somewhere in the lake.
What would you do differently?:

I need to push harder. First 200m performance was spot on, but I need to push that pace for the rest of it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

This is a great T1, since the mat is 10 feet from the water's edge. Clear your mind and let auto pilot take over.

Nothing, was the fastest T1 in my AG.
Bike
  • 39m 37s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

This course is deceptive. Seems very fast in spots, but slow overall time. Nothing to write home about with the hills with rollers throughout, and perhaps two decent hills in the later half of the course. Arnet had already caught me within the first mile, so I paced off him for the first half of the course. He had a guy locked onto his rear wheel the entire time I could see him. No idea how he did not get a penalty, since I saw the refs several times.

Nonetheless, I am unsure if I am scared of the new crank or what, but the goal of this race was to use the big-ring the entire time, unlike my Tanner I strategy. I had no issues, and a couple of times in the later half of the bike course I could feel my old style of hammering the hills come back. No idea, where that has gone, but it was nice to see it reemerge but now to get that to come back the entire time.

I need more time in the saddle on this new crank. To be honest, I am not racing lights out and I am 20-30 seconds slower than last year which means I can go much faster. Just need to work on that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Quick T2, second in AG

Perhaps for this distance I should go sockless? That would speed it up by a few seconds.
Run
  • 20m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Out & back course, with rollers the entire way. There were more larger hills than I remembered, but the course is either up or down. Not much in between. Basically, I put it in a hard cruise control the entire time. Picked off several people, but was just not willing to go for it to catch the front group. I need get over this mental setting when I am in "no-man's land" and drop the hammer to catch the next group.

Not sure what my issue was, but I need to get over it. Slowest run off the bike in a very long time.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and went to cheer on the rest of the racers with the rest of the All3Sports team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to suck it up buttercup, and get after it. Plus, increase my overall milage which will aid in my fitness and give me the confidence to hammer like the days of old.

Event comments:

Another great TTP race. Great competition, and an honor racing for All3Sports.

Last updated: 2014-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:15 | 600 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: New Course this year, rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:37 | 14.7 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/25
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: One big loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:08 | 03.1 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-01 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes

2014-06-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: #5005235

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes
Sounds like a tough race, Brian. I think it was SOLID, especially the bike, but I know what it's like to not compete at the level you feel you should. Get over those mental demons, whatever they may be, and rock it at the next one!
2014-06-02 8:44 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes
You're incredibly strong! I can relate to your comments about no-man's land...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes

Started by kmstig
Views: 941 Posts: 1

2013-06-19 10:03 AM kmstig

Started by Coldfire
Views: 1151 Posts: 1

2012-06-20 7:10 AM Coldfire

Started by AtlantaBill
Views: 1138 Posts: 2

2012-06-12 9:14 PM d00d

Started by jjackson4
Views: 1034 Posts: 1

2012-06-04 2:52 PM jjackson4

Started by Sarah73
Views: 1402 Posts: 3

2012-06-02 10:17 PM fitmomma2010
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!