Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 2h 29m 30s
Overall Rank = 25/136
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm at 5:25. Was in the car at 5:45. Grabbed coffee and oatmeal from Tim Hortons on the ride down. Knew it was gong to be a bit warm so I drank a good amount of water as well. Got to Deer Creek around 6:45. Registration line was really short, vast improvement over some of the races last year. Got my body mark, timing, chip, dropped my bike off at transition, then walked over for a bathroom stop. Took my bike out for a quick spin to make sure everything was working fine and set up my TA. Headed down to the water, drank a bottle of water with Infinit about 25 minutes before the swim.

Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yds to get used to the water. It felt great,
Swim
  • 28m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started on the outside, third row back to stay away from the first buoy and let things thin out. Not really a lot of contact on the first, lap. I swear on the first lap, they said we needed to round the red finish buoy before we went out for the second lap. As I am heading to the red buoy (With some other swimmers who I realized were sprinters, after about 200yds or so of swimming towards that buoy, I was trying to figure out why it was SO thin. Then I looked to my left (I breath to my right), and realized the heard wasn't swimming towards the red buoy, so swam back into the heard. It probably cost me a minute or 2. Then I seemed to hit a lot of contact probably because I was passing all the people I passed or was in front of from the first lap.
What would you do differently?:

Follow the masses instead of thinking I knew where I was going.This wasn't the swim course from last year or the one on the website.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

The run up the hill to transition was pretty steep. That had my HR going pretty hard. They changed the TA up. Quick got my wetsuit off, helmet on, glasses on, and headed out. It took me a little bit to get up to speed on my bike since I forgot to use my rubber bands to hold my shoes in place.

Remember the rubber bands
Bike
  • 1h 09m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride for me. It was really kind of lonely, I passed a few people, but was only passed by 3, one of whom I passed later. I didn't pass anyone in my age group, this led me to believe that I was way behind the fast guys in te age group. I kept my HR up the whole time, but tried to settle it down in the second loop.

Maybe control my HR more to see if I could save more for the run. I went into the race trying to go all out and not really pace myself too much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Took me a little long to get my socks on. Other than that, everything was great.
Run
  • 49m 6s
  • 6.25 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out strong and new it was going to get hot. I just focused on my breathing and going strong. It started getting pretty hot along the stretch of road covering miles 2-5. Got passed but some really strong runners. That was impressive to see guys who make it look effortless. I stayed so focused, I barely have much to report here. .

If I paced the bike better, I probably could have run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, banana, and a cookie. I didn't stretch much. Just gathered my stuff and headed home. I was really disappointed in my time. I was hoping to be at least sub 2:25.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The going off course on the swim and maybe going to hard on the bike.

Event comments:

Great job by HFP! The race was organized well like I've come to expect from HFP. Could have had better communication on the swim course as it was a bit confusing, but this year, they stepped up their game as the packet pickup line was quick and the results were posted same day. Plus the weather was great.

Last updated: 2014-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:15 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 39/136
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: I thought it was a rectangle originally but more of a back and forth line after you swim out 25 yds.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:09:59 | 24.85 miles | 21.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 16/136
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop on country roads with some chip.seal.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:06 | 06.25 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 42/136
Course: Out and back with some running on grass. Over the course, there mayhave been about 50 feet of shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-01 3:54 PM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon

2014-06-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: #5005239

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon

Congrats Kevin!

Nice AG win!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon

Started by flanag
Views: 1593 Posts: 9

2012-06-08 3:43 PM Aysel

Started by laurak11
Views: 1301 Posts: 3

2011-06-15 5:29 AM laurak11

Started by WUN734
Views: 1076 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:32 PM WUN734

Started by wallico
Views: 1391 Posts: 2

2011-06-06 2:24 PM ahohl

Started by apicek
Views: 1536 Posts: 5

2011-06-08 9:42 PM apicek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.