I survived...that's all I can say.

What happened to the PETE THE SHARK ???

2014-06-07 9:42 PM
in reply to: Me XMan

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: RE: Arrival Time to Liberty

what a brutal bike! I saw a guy almost run into a deer of all things!!! About 100 feet in front of me. I think he had his head down as it approached from left to right, because I don't think he saw it until he had just missed it! I had a nice average speed on the bike, but it's a classic tale leading to a horrible run. Once that demoralizing rain started on the last 20 miles of the bike, into the wind, I couldn't keep my HR up. I think I set too high of a target HR at the front end (top of Z2). Run started out surprisingly strong, with a modest HR at 8:15 pace. I paid for it at the end, slowing to 9+ by mile 10, and then ended up walking about the last 1.5 miles. also had bleeding blisters on my insoles and quads ready to cramp at the end. May have also been inadequate nutrition on the run, as I've felt great all afternoon after eating, then eating again. Not sure if it's a matter of muscular endurance at this point or if the rain and cold temps just kept my HR down, lulling me into thinking I was really pacing appropriately. I may need to find another race prior to IMMOO to try to dial these issues down. If it's an endurance thing that I can't improve dramatically over the summer, I may be in for a tough race in Madison. Congrats to Eric (4 minute PR!! Woot Woot!) and Carl for gutting out what was easily the most "EPIC" conditions I've ever raced in. Also congrats to BloomingRunner for a great race!

2014-06-07 9:44 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Oh.. and CRAP! Just discovered that my watch didn't record any of my race. i guess there won't be much post-hoc analysis of this one...

2014-06-07 10:42 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Regular
How do you compare this year new bike course to last year?
I think it's a bit harder with more rolling hills and especially with northern wind on the way back.
2014-06-08 12:03 AM
in reply to: Me XMan

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by Me XMan How do you compare this year new bike course to last year? I think it's a bit harder with more rolling hills and especially with northern wind on the way back.

Probably pretty comparable. The rest of Cty 6 and 110 have some good hills and rollers, and Cty 15 heading west from Mound to Watertown is similar to the stretches on 7 and 10. The only real difference is the shoulders on the southern part of 92, plus 7 and 10 are MUCH better than on 15 (which essentially doesn't have a shoulder.) Had it not been for the wind, rain, and cold, I probably would have enjoyed this ride!

2014-06-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Yup. It's very close.

http://i61.tinypic.com/18myy9.jpg

Edited by Me XMan 2014-06-08 11:57 AM

2014-06-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by Me XMan How do you compare this year new bike course to last year? I think it's a bit harder with more rolling hills and especially with northern wind on the way back.

Probably pretty comparable. The rest of Cty 6 and 110 have some good hills and rollers, and Cty 15 heading west from Mound to Watertown is similar to the stretches on 7 and 10. The only real difference is the shoulders on the southern part of 92, plus 7 and 10 are MUCH better than on 15 (which essentially doesn't have a shoulder.) Had it not been for the wind, rain, and cold, I probably would have enjoyed this ride!

I was thinking that I would have really loved this route if the weather had been nice.  The shoulders going into/out of the park where tight, but really the whole rest was very rideable on a normal day without help at the corners, etc.  It didn't have the couple of brutal climbs from the old Liberty course of years ago (Hamel and Homestead).   I will admit I thoroughly enjoyed the North wind for the first 20 miles   It was pretty ugly, though...  And is it just me, or should there have been a porta-potty at the half point (at least)?

Sorry your run took a turn for the worse, Ryan. I do think it's hard to adjust when the race is an hour late, the cold/wet, etc. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrival Time to Liberty Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Liberty: roll call Pages: 1 2

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 2548 Posts: 45

2008-06-17 7:29 AM MLJ

Liberty Oly course ride - Thursday 22nd at 6:00

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 883 Posts: 4

2008-05-21 12:01 PM leapdog

Liberty registration

Started by MLJ
Views: 980 Posts: 3

2008-03-31 10:37 AM Slahmmer

Buffalo or Liberty Olympic Distance?

Started by ScotInMinnesota
Views: 951 Posts: 5

2008-03-19 1:33 PM BikerGrrrl

Liberty Tri

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 690 Posts: 1

2006-03-12 6:21 PM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : January 30, 2006
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.