Dam to Dam
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 30m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did my usual routine. Got up early, enjoyed a hot shower and got in my race gear which consisted of my favorite running shorts, tank top, socks, and shoes. Got to the pick up point in plenty of time and got a nice parking spot. From there walked the six blocks to the bus pick up and was loaded with no problems. On the way to the dam I ate my usual race breakfast of a Cliff Bar and a bottle of V8 alone with a bottle of water with Fizz.
Event warmup:

Had about a hour to burn so I visited the porta potties, walked around, stretched and tried to stay relaxed and cool.
Run
  • 2h 30m 17s
  • 20 kms
  • 07m 31s  min/km
Comments:

First race of the year that I was really fighting to keep cool. I followed my hydration plan to the letter and only had a little bit of GI upset towards the end. For miles 1-4 we ran in a slight rain with a nice cooling breeze. If only that lasted the entire race. By time I got to mile 6 the sun was out and the humidity was on a steady rise alone with my rising discomfort due to the heat. At mile 6 I took my gel and continued to feel good. At mile 8 I started to take two waters from the stations, one to drink and the other to pour over my back and shoulders to keep cool. At mile 10 I was starting to have some serious problems with my hip. So I took a five minute walk break, I figured at that point I was running so slow that I was moving at the same speed walking with less stress on the joint. Felt better after that and continued my walk/run intervals, however my runs where slower in an attempt to keep my body cool and my now upset GI under control. Gave a friend a high five at mile 11 and slugged my way to the end. Found it in me to clear that last mile at the same pace I started at and finished a bit behind schedule but still feeling good.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly brought something to keep the nasty sweat out of my eyes and mouth. Other than that this is the best I've felt running a half in heat and humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit. Got my medal, a bottle of Poweraid. Found a patch of cool ground to stretch out on before meeting some friends for an early lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity. Although I really can't complain, heard that several people where pulsed off the course because of the heat.

Event comments:

This has always been my favorite road race. Looking forward to next year!

Last updated: 2014-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:17 | 20 kms | 07m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
This is the first year the race was run as a half marathon instead of a 20K.
Course: It was the usual point to point race starting at the Saylorville Lake Dam, winding through Des Moines and ended up in down town Des Moines. The course was a good variety of flats, hills, with lots of cheering crowds and aid/water stations.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-01 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dam to Dam 20k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam 20k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by JWskiman
Views: 731 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 8:46 PM JWskiman

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1487 Posts: 1

2013-06-02 7:55 PM disturbed275

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1691 Posts: 4

2012-06-06 9:02 AM QueenZipp

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by Swee
Views: 758 Posts: 1

2012-06-02 9:44 PM Swee

Dam to Dam 5K

Started by jhinrichs11
Views: 1460 Posts: 1

2008-05-31 2:15 PM jhinrichs11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.