General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression socks for the calf Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-02 7:41 AM

Subject: Compression socks for the calf
Does anyone wear the compression socks during the race? If so what are your thoughts, how do they go?

2014-06-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Compression socks for the calf

I've done it before during an IM.  I didn't notice a difference.

I like 'em for recovery though.

2014-06-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Just got some a couple of months ago to help with a small calf tear and Cyst that developed in the calf. Initially I was using it to stabilize the calf and Cyst to prevent aggravation of the cyst while running, it worked OK its not an issue now as the Cyst dissipated, but as mentioned I really like them for recovery and am using them for that after every run, seem to help me bounce back quicker.
2014-06-02 9:17 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I have worn my CEP calf sleeves in both of my full marathons this year. I didn't have any cramping on the run and my recovery was a lot faster. I used to just wear my compression after long runs, but started wearing them on the run & just leaving them on for a while after.

For me though, I only find it useful on very long runs. I don't wear them for a half marathon. I would definitely wear them for a HIM or IM. I would be on the fence to wear them for an OLY.
2014-06-02 9:58 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Seattle, Washington
I've had good luck with the sleeves from procompression.com. I notice a difference anytime I'm in them over about 8 miles, and more than anything I see a difference in recovery.

Are you having any issues with your calves that you're hoping to address with compression?
2014-06-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: benjooster

User image

Veteran
I was sidelined with torn calves last year. Right, then left, then right again. After a successful bit of ASTYM, strength and flexibility work they are pretty solid now.

That being said. When the weather is cooler, or if I am doing interval work, I wear them mostly to keep the muscle warm and loose.

2014-06-02 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Wore them all through IMOO and in my opinion, they helped. I was getting cramps in my calfs on longs run during training leading up to the big race and had non during the marathon. Felt very good.

Felt even better taking them off after 12 hours in them .
2014-06-03 4:42 AM
in reply to: #5005456

I just feel a little tight/ unstable in the calves running straight after a decent sized ride. Couldn't hurt to try them out and by the sounds if things you all have positive feedback. Might give them a test.
2014-06-03 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jimmycolorado

Does anyone wear the compression socks during the race? If so what are your thoughts, how do they go?

Compression socks are ideal for recovery, no research says they improve performance, or recovery if you wear them during the race, its all subjective and individual. Up to you on that one, but people always say they didn't cramp, recovered faster, etc. but you cannot pinpoint it to the socks.

That all said, I suggest not wearing them for training. In training you are trying to induce a stress on your body, wearing compression socks takes away that stress you are trying to induce. So if you go for a long run, you are taking away some of the physiological goals/benefits by trying to limit the amount of stress placed on your legs.
2014-06-03 12:42 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
So basically train without them but race with them and it should help?
2014-06-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: Maks Tri

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Maks Tri

So basically train without them but race with them and it should help?

Let me rephrase, no research shows that they improve performance or recovery post by wearing during competition.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression socks for the calf Rss Feed