HFP Racing
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Fat Kid-Athena*
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

*Not everyone who races Athena is a fat kid - so don't go getting your underwear in a knot. However, I noted "fat-kid" in my age group because me racing as an Athena means that right now - I am a fat kid, again I'm not stating that the Athena label implies that anyone else is fat, only myself. I don't normally race Athena but right now, even with the minimum weight increase, I'm solidly in this group (20 Lbs over minimum weight I think certainly qualifies me) and therefore decided to compete in it. If I would have raced in my AG I would have ranked 7/13.

With that said...pre-race routine, woke up and tried to rub the sleep out of my eyes. Good gracious 4:30 AM is really early. Through on my clothes, came down stairs, filled my water bottles and popped a couple of pop-tarts in the toaster (perhaps this is the reason I am heavier than I should be - nothing like sugary processed crap). My FTP wracked my bike on the car and loaded my gear while I finished getting myself and him some pop tarts and then we were off for the one hour and nine minute drive to Deer Cree.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, talked to some of the Columbus RWB peeps that were around and then - gah -- I had to go use the porta-potty -- most awful experience ever - next time I will be sure to get up in time to take care of business at home - - seriously, now I know why all these years I have never done that at the race site. Came back to transition, checked everything one last time, grabbed my wetsuit and headed down to the water. Saw Tri Mama on the way down to the water gave her a hug and headed down to the water to find my Tri Dad. I found him and gave him a big hug. We swam a few strokes and walked back up to the beach and talked to my FTP until it was time to take off.
Swim
  • 18m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course was different than usual and of course do you think I actually listened when they were talking about it and describing the new course? Of course not. they moved the swim start way down the beach and had us swim in an oblong/isosceles triangle. This swim would have been pathetic and slow anyway because I haven't been swimming but it wouldn't have been this bad had I been able to see when I came around the far end buoy. Unfortunately the glare of the sun on the water made it really hard to see. I kept just following the pack of swimmers that was about 100 meters ahead of me. I had to stop and pee (I can't pee while actually swimming, which cost me some time, but one of the life guards saw me and she was from my YMCA so she told me to use the big tree as a point of reference for sighting - yay, thanks for the tip. My FTP said I was 17 minutes coming out of the water. The climb up to transition was long and much steeper than in previous years but at least there were no stairs - still I need to swim more.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know, try doing some swim training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Um yeah, I transitioned :)

Go faster...
Bike
  • 45m 8s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.59 km/hr
Comments:

I was actually very happy with this bike split. Spin class seemed to help. I forgot how great it is to be clipped and actually be able to push and pull. I picked off quite a few folks (surprisingly) but I also got passed by a few too. Dare I say I almost actually enjoyed the bike portion?

I think I could have been faster if my overall fitness had been better but at least I had some cycling base from all the spin classes over the past few months, if only my travel scheduled had been a little less brutal I might have had more time to build my endurance and speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Could have been faster but eh...

More fitness in general
Run
  • 30m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Damn I'm slow...it's amazing how much run fitness I've lost. Hell, at least it came out to less than 10:00/mile so sad *hangs head in shame*...

Uh, I don't know, I could try running on a regular basis...
Post race
Warm down:

Found my FTP and gave him a hug, gave my tri parents hugs, grabbed a couple PB&Js talked to the Columbus RWB peeps and routed on Robin and Steve-O as they came through transition to hit the run in the OLY before they posted results and picking up my fat kid bling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training - extra weight - I guess I should work on losing some weight and doing a little more consistent training.

Event comments:

HFP has stepped up their game again. It's nice to see the quality race company that was present in my first couple of years make its come back.

Last updated: 2014-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:37 | 750 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Different than usual. they moved the swim start way down the beach and had us swim in an oblong/isosceles triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:08 | 20 kms | 26.59 km/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: It's Deer Creek - it's rural country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:49 | 03.11 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Course: Out and back over the dam to the turn around
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-02 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Deer Creek Sprint Triathlon

2014-06-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: #5005578

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Sprint Triathlon
Enjoyed the bike? Who are you and where did you take the Deej?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deer Creek Sprint Triathlon

Started by flanag
Views: 1157 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 4:17 PM flanag

Started by JBarwick
Views: 1104 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 3:23 PM JBarwick

Started by
Views: 166 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 11:43 AM

Started by tcarlson78
Views: 1247 Posts: 2

2011-06-08 2:20 PM twinklebug

Started by webster84
Views: 889 Posts: 2

2011-06-05 5:17 PM JBarwick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.