IMG
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 29m 35s
Overall Rank = 1012/1585
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 164/235
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and ate a bagel with vegemite, banana, coffee, cytomax. Then pedaled to transition and set up. Boarded the bus for the dock... Overall I could have done all this 1/2 hour later as I ended up spending a lot of time on the dock and on the boat before departure. However it was good not to leave it too late because I was nervous enough about the swim without adding the stress of being pushed for time.
Event warmup:

Sat on the boat and chatted with some folks. Stretched arms and legs. No opportunity for real warm-up. Ate 1/2 bonk breaker and had a gel, with water. Watched Alcatraz island and checked out all the landmarks for the swim, which was very helpful.
Swim
  • 45m 6s
  • 2640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was great.
After watching the first groups of swimmers jump off, I went to the bottom deck of the boat planning to check things out... as I walked to the side I realized I had just stepped on the timing mat - so, for me, my race had started! This was the jolt of adrenalin I needed and of course I jumped straight in - without thinking, and with my goggles around my neck!!
Overall the course was great and the bay was not too choppy. A few mouthfuls of water, mainly because I breathe only to the right (I have to fix that) - but no big deal. Overall The swim was faster than I expected by ~10 mins - I'm sure the current helped. Sighting was easy. I followed all the advice and paused for a look around about 1/3 way through to take it all in - really a special thing to do!!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I am completely ready when I step on the mat!! Learn to breathe bilaterally or on the left. Bring Body Glide onto the boat with me - I need to put it on fresh as I pull up the wetsuit (had to borrow some on the boat) - putting it on in transition is too soon as it wears off. Other than that, would do the swim just the same.
Transition 1
  • 10m 42s
Comments:

This was naturally a long transition, with a 1/2 mile run baked in. I was a bit imbalanced coming out of the water. I took extra time to clean and dry my feet properly, and it cost me. I also struggled with putting on a wind breaker for the ride... I did not want to be cold on the ride.

Not sure how, but definitely want to be faster!!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 15s
  • 18 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode my road bike and not my triathlon bike in this race. I felt it was the right thing to do, and riding back up Seal Rock Drive this was confirmed as I needed the small chain ring on my triple. I pushed moderately hard, however always being aware that I needed plenty left in the tank for the run. In the end, I left enough for the run and was about 10 mins faster than I expected, which was great!

Make sure that when I reattach my front wheel before the race that I re-engage the front brake!!! Stupid, dangerous and embarrassing! I did not notice my mistake until later, but this could have been really bad, with the downhills and tight corners... luckily I wasn't riding too aggressively that this was a problem. Otherwise I think I wouldn't change my ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Long time due to the long distances running in and out. Also I had a mix-up with my wet shoes from T1 and my dry shoes for the run. This cost me a few seconds.

Have different color shoes for T1 run to avoid mix-up. Just try to be faster.
Run
  • 1h 19m 45s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was an exercise in pacing myself. I ran a steady pace along the flats. I walked through the aid stations (after the first 2). Walked up the stairs, sand ladder and a couple of the (very short) steeper sections. My goal was to finish and so I had to avoid blowing up by being too aggressive uphill - so although it killed me to slow down I know it was the right thing. In the end I finished 15 seconds faster than my expected time (based on 10 min miles).

More running training, including hills and stairs. This would also help on the bike I think.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't have a watch on during the race and so I had no idea of my pace until the finish chute. I was planning for a 4 hour time, so I was amazed when the race clock told me I was on a ~3:30 pace. Very happy with that!
Warm down was some stretching and chatting with folks. Then the post race food, which I think was spot-on - pasta, salad, chicken soup, bread and muscle milk (and water of course).
My friends Josh and Amy cam to visit which was great so we hung out a bit and enjoyed watching some finishers and being part of the post-race activities.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly my running... I had hamstring issue and later got sick in the lead up. This limited my ability to train - both in distance and in total miles trained. Need to do better on this in future as this was my weak leg.

Event comments:

This was an epic event and truly lived up to its name and reputation. Really special and a lot of fun to participate in. Very well organized, with excellent communication up to and including the event (very important given the nature of the race). I will do it again, if I am lucky in the lottery!

Last updated: 2014-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:06 | 2640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 158/235
Overall: 1073/1585
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sonar - 2010
Course: Overall the bay was fairly cooperative... not too choppy. For a stretch in the middle of the swim, there was some swell from the right. Visibility was good and sighting was not too challenging. Talking to other folks who have done this multiple times, this was about normal for this event.
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:15 | 18 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 155/235
Overall: 978/1585
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly and technical, with steep ups and downs and tight corners. Also some patches of road are very rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:19:45 | 08 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 183/235
Overall: 1198/1585
Performance: Average
Course: This course is highly variable - it has everything: flat paved , flat gravel, stairs, switchbacks, winding cross-country trail with hills, hilly road, sand ladder - the lot!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-02 11:58 AM

User image

New user

Silicon Valley
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

Started by kmarzano
Views: 3275 Posts: 25

2007-06-08 11:43 AM element

Started by juliapurr
Views: 3498 Posts: 22

2007-06-06 6:24 AM KathyG

Started by steamy
Views: 3211 Posts: 16

2007-03-23 2:22 PM isis54

Started by MikeB
Views: 2838 Posts: 7

2006-06-10 9:38 PM cadreamer

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 10752 Posts: 35

2008-01-17 11:40 PM Dr Disaster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.