Revolution 3
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 43m 18s
Overall Rank = 679/745
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 54/64
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Had breakfast of 2 cups apple sauce, a power bar and a banana. Stopped on the way to get a small iced coffee and sipped water all the way to the park. Sat in traffic for a long time and was rushed when we got there. God, I hate being rushed. Was discombobulated. Managed to get everything on and laid out but just barely (almost left goggles and swim cap). (With no races between now and IMMT - I need to think about and practice this).
Event warmup:

Got into water and warmed up with a quick swim. Really tired hard to keep pulse under 90.
Swim
  • 43m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a decent swim. I had some difficulty getting my breathing just right. But about midway through the first leg, I was good to go. My strategy was to go slow for first leg, pick it up the second, and go strong during the third. I kept running into people and had difficulty sighting in the morning sun. On the 2nd leg, I couldn't make out anything and just followed everyone else. Was never really able to draft - people seemed just too fast (or two slow). I felt really good during the third leg and pushed the pace a little bit.
What would you do differently?:

A few things: 1) Work on bilateral breathing to help stay in a straight line. 2) Swim a few hundred yards the morning of with the hopes of getting into a rhythm sooner. I wonder if I could partner up with someone and we could take turns drafting with each other (maybe through BT)
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

Not gonna lie - I took my time in T1. I wanted to make sure I got my bike shirt on more easily than at the season opener so I hopped out of wet suit and dried off with a towel then put on bike shirt. loaded up with my food for the bike and got going.

I should swim in my tri shift Next time will be easier with the new race belt that Charles so kindly gave me.... but I still need to practice more. I need the entire process to become automatic so I should try to do it before long rides.

Think about putting on socks - I didn't have any blisters on the bike but I wonder if that made my feet more painful on the run.
Bike
  • 4h 16m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out of T1, I felt good and there were plenty of downhills to warm up on... I know I was going fast, and I constantly kept having to pull back knowing that a fast start would make for a grueling finish. The hills were legit and never ended. One was seven miles long. While there were 4 ranked hills - the course kept going up and down. I followed Mike's advice of seeing how slowly I could go on the uphills and tending to hammer the downhills so it didn't take so much energy to go up. There were times when I was averaging 25-30 mph. Going into the big ring on the down hills helped but I think it tired me out. Nutrition was good and I felt that having the protein bar early in the bike worked out well.. I was tuckered out by the time I got back to T2 but I still felt good. The ride itself was beautiful - the views were amazing and being in rural CT was almost idyllic in a Norman Rockwell kind of way.

Depending on how I'm doing, I might choose to not pedal the downhills in IMMT for the first half as long as I am maintaining my pace with the hope of being fresher for the second half of the ride and for the run. I also need to change the set up on my watch to track speed and not pace - as that will let me really focus in on the pacing. Also, I really need to dial in my hydration. I ended up going to the bathroom at the 3rd aid station.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Again - I didn't push it. I sat down to take off bike shoes and put on fresh socks and my running shoes.

Practice Practice Practice. Also put raffy in my back pocket as I came to T2.
Run
  • 2h 35m 64s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I followed my plan and walked the first mile (with the goal of getting back to IMMT training ASAP) and then followed a 5 run, 5 walk throughout. I also tended to save the gu and eat the banana and pretzels they were giving out at the aid stations. I also discovered the joy of putting a cup of ice into my hat which was huge since it seemed a lot warmer than the predicted 74.

I did everything during the first half of the run to not push the pace. I walked up all the hills. I made a lot of friends back there in the pack. Met a guy who will be volunteering at IMMT and even chatted with a nice Yankees fan. During miles 3 and 4 I stopped to pick up garbage to do a good deed but also to slow myself down. It really paid off because with about 4 to go I was done. Having not completed a longer training run than 9 miles - I was in uncharted territory. My left hip and glute hurt, my feet were developing blisters. And my stomach was a bit upset despite following my nutrition plan. But I slowed down my pace during my "runs (more like a shuffle) and didn't push my walks either.
With 7 to go - I turned on the NASCAR race - and it was a wonderful distraction. I didn't feel the same boost from the coke as had during a couple of my long rides - wished I had. The last mile and a half was rough - a Cat 5 hill that never seemed to end. But I jogged up it wanting to finish strong.

Play around more on training runs with bananas and pretzels to really dial those in. It might help to have a nutrition card just to make sure that I get everything I can out of the 4th discupline. In order to make Mike Reilly while having as good a day as possible - I really want to hit my marks.

Drink less - I peed 5x during the run. That is way too much! I should change drinking on the 5s to drinking on the 10s.

Better socks

Post race
Warm down:

Did very little. I ate a burger and sucked down a gatorade and hopped in the car and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race wasn't about speed. It was about getting ready for IMMT - so I never pushed it. I was also coming down with a cold and felt tired the day before.

Event comments:

This was a good race but I felt like Rev3 was tightening their belts financially. We got very little in terms of bling (the only thing we got in our athlete packet was a head rag. Post race food wasn't fresh by the time I get there and there was no beer (seriously - they had it at MD - but only served soft drinks here). Aid stations were good and volunteers were really friendly. The course was just what I wanted - something that would really challenge me and boost my confidence. It was beautiful - and the weather was PERFECT!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:26 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/64
Overall: 491/745
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: It was a wave start. We began on shore and then entire age group ran into the water. We went clockwise around a triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:16:02 | 56 miles | 13.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/64
Overall: 662/745
Performance: Good
Bike Start 00:48:17.946 385 of 548 - Mile 15.6 01:59:05.503 1:10:48 13.22 mph 15.60 mi - Mile 35.7 03:30:49.980 1:31:44 13.15 mph 20.10 mi - Bike Finish 05:04:20.786 1:33:31 13.02 mph 20.30 mi
Wind: Little
Course: 2600 feet of elevation gain
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:35:64 | 13.1 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/64
Overall: 679/745
Run Start 05:07:31.666 52 of 64 - 660 of 745 12:12:31 PM Mile 5.5 06:28:50.446 1:21:19 14:47 /mi 5.50 mi 52 of 64 - 684 of 745 1:33:50 PM Mile 10.8 07:43:18.040 1:14:28 14:03 /mi 5.30 mi 54 of 64 - 679 of 745 2:48:18 PM
Course: 800 feet of elevation gain with 2 cat 5 hills made this a ball buster. I was never really pushing myself so it wasn't terrible but it sucked the life out of me - especially the last hill at mile 12.5.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-03 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

2014-06-03 3:04 PM
in reply to: #5006305

User image

Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
Great Job!! I had 4200 gain on the Bike.
2014-06-04 12:32 AM
in reply to: #5006305

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
Way to gut it out on the run David. Sounded like a tough course. I'd have had a hard time swimming 3 laps and being in the constant crowd on the swim. I think practicing your Transition is an ok thing to do on your scheduled bricks, but what do you really save in the grand scheme of things, 3 minutes? I think you got it right by just making sure your ready for the next discipline. That and practice on the hydration during your workouts. Yea, peeing every 5 is a P in the a, but it beats the heLL out of bonking. Don't ever sell yourself short on hydration. You'll hate it if you do. Just keep at it on your long runs/rides. Your body will tell you what you need. Listen to your heart, it'll not lead you wrong. Stay healthy going into IMMT! You're going to do great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Aquabike

Started by astorm65
Views: 1191 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 9:12 PM astorm65

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by cialome
Views: 1222 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 11:24 AM cialome

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by DEFYINGRAVITY
Views: 1606 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:09 AM DEFYINGRAVITY

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1650 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2023 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.