General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KT Tape Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-03 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: KT Tape
I have been having some issues with my IT band in my hip. I have heard from a few folks who have mentioned KT Tape working really well. On a side note, I use the foam roller, stretches etc. on a daily basis.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

2014-06-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: The Dude14

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: KT Tape

I've used it on my back and shoulder and it works great. 

Not sure about exactly where to place it for ITB issues or if it's recommended for that.  I'd sure like to know since I have them as well!!

2014-06-03 12:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Originally posted by laffinrock

I've used it on my back and shoulder and it works great. 

Not sure about exactly where to place it for ITB issues or if it's recommended for that.  I'd sure like to know since I have them as well!!

Here you go.
http://www.kttape.com/instructions/it-band-hip/?full=1
2014-06-03 12:16 PM

User image

i've never done it on my IT band, but I use it on my knee and foot (plantar Faciistis) - and it was fabulous

there is a link on the KT website for how to tape IT band - http://www.kttape.com/instructions/it-band-hip/- i would recommend looking to see if someone in your area is certified in it, to get it done the first couple of times and then you can probably do it yourself
2014-06-03 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by The Dude14

I have been having some issues with my IT band in my hip. I have heard from a few folks who have mentioned KT Tape working really well. On a side note, I use the foam roller, stretches etc. on a daily basis.

IMO KT is the biggest marketing scam I have seen in awhile. If anyone can show me any research that it is of any benefit I am all ears, until then I am very skeptical of any benefit.
2014-06-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by The Dude14 I have been having some issues with my IT band in my hip. I have heard from a few folks who have mentioned KT Tape working really well. On a side note, I use the foam roller, stretches etc. on a daily basis. Does anyone have any experience with it?
IMO KT is the biggest marketing scam I have seen in awhile. If anyone can show me any research that it is of any benefit I am all ears, until then I am very skeptical of any benefit.

I'll paraphrase what a sports therapist told me once, in regards to my IT issues:

Do everything you can before you resort to KT tape. Many sports therapists don't actually know how to apply it properly, and if it is applied incorrectly it can create more problems

I won't say that KT tape is completely bogus stuff, it seems to work for some people. But that warning kinda had me spooked.

2014-06-03 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Here is a review of 6 of the more complete studies in Kenesio Tape:

http://www.kinesiotaping.no/omoss/forskning/frontpage/mostafavifar_2012.pdf

The takeaway is similar to what I have read in other places. Its effectiveness is undetermined as compared to more traditional taping methods. (Or no taping at all) A good study would try to eliminate the "Placebo Effect" but with a product like KT that is difficult at best to accomplish.

I personally DON'T use it but then I am not injury prone either. Many of my friends do use it regularly and as long as they believe it works, and it does no real harm, then I guess they are getting their money's worth out of it :D

2014-06-03 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

I've never had it work on any injury. I've had a PT apply it to a knee injury, to zero effect. I've self taped a few injuries in my foot to the same end - no effect. I keep trying though. One day, I just know I'll find an injury where it works for me
2014-06-03 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

I couldn't agree with this comment more. I bought, and attempted to apply, KT Tape when I had achillies issues. I think I would have been better off applying duct tape. At least duct tape would have held.
2014-06-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83

I couldn't agree with this comment more. I bought, and attempted to apply, KT Tape when I had achillies issues. I think I would have been better off applying duct tape. At least duct tape would have held.

I was gonna say the same thing, I used sticky spray plus all the other recommendations and it held on for about the first 2 miles of my run. Live and learn
2014-06-04 1:41 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ECS49
Originally posted by The Dude14 I have been having some issues with my IT band in my hip. I have heard from a few folks who have mentioned KT Tape working really well. On a side note, I use the foam roller, stretches etc. on a daily basis. Does anyone have any experience with it?
I was gonna say the same thing, I used sticky spray plus all the other recommendations and it held on for about the first 2 miles of my run. Live and learn

Buy this stuff instead.  www.rocktape.com

As to the comment about research showing any benefit, I don't have any.  I can however tell you that I once had an issue with some inflamation in the top of my foot.  I had my foot taped (by someone who knows what they are doing) and the inflammation (or at least the feeling of it) went away almost immediately (I'm talking minutes, not days).  I was highly skeptical before it was applied.  That was my only experience with it but I have no doubt it did *something*.

2014-06-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: axteraa

I love KT tape for my knee, i do the full knee support and it works out great, i get the same support as a full knee brace without the restriction in movement. the more expensive synthetic is very much worth the extra money, especially on the knee that has so much movement.

That being said, i went through an entire roll of the stuff before i had done a decent job at it, luckily it was stuff i found on clearance, but be prepared for a learning curve in applying this right.

also, dont bother with it for spartan races, it didn't last a mile.
2014-06-04 11:47 AM

User image

, New York
I had IT band issues last year. This was bad (tight) enough where I could literally HEAR the band squeak as it rubbed over that boney side of my knee as I bent it! While I did not try KT tape, I did get serious about deep muscle massages on both my thigh muscle as well as my calf muscle (for plantar fasciitis I was also dealing with). It's a year later and I can say these issues are gone for me. I just used by thumbs and fingers to find the knots and tight (painful) places in these muscles and worked them out. I did borrow a roller for awhile but I never felt like it worked for me. I really had to zero in on small sections of these muscles and kneed the heck out of them!

Good luck and I hope you get better soon!
2014-06-04 12:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

As to the comment about research showing any benefit, I don't have any.  I can however tell you that I once had an issue with some inflamation in the top of my foot.  I had my foot taped (by someone who knows what they are doing) and the inflammation (or at least the feeling of it) went away almost immediately (I'm talking minutes, not days).  I was highly skeptical before it was applied.  That was my only experience with it but I have no doubt it did *something*.

I tried rocktape under the premise that it was "better" and that it would last 5 days with my workouts...haha! It lasted exactly a day and a half, and 3 workouts - a bike/run and then my morning swim - by the time I hit the shower, it was coming off
2014-06-04 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by axteraa

You know its funny, I say the same thing about strength training. Athlete comes in has problems, plateauing, shows imbalances etc give them a strength program and correct those imbalances and results appear then everyone is quick to dismiss you can't pinpoint it to the strength training and it could be a host of other factors. Uh oh hope I didn't derail the thread here.
2014-06-04 7:09 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've found it effective only for one injury. Two years ago I injured my elbow tripping over a rock while running. The doctor and the PT disagreed over whether I had a fracture or not (?? they decided after it healed it was a hairline break) but there was also ligament injury and swelling for several weeks. The KT tape really helped with inflammation in this case. I did not have a cast or any kind of immobilization as they don't with that injury unless a bone is displaced; I'd tried an ace bandage but it hadn't helped with pain and swelling at all. The PT applied the tape but since it came off when I swam after a few days (I was able to kinda sorta swim after a few weeks), she showed me how to apply it correctly. I was impressed with the effectiveness, so have since tried it for some other niggles but it has not had any effect. Not sure if I was applying it incorrectly (I watched the video on the site others have mentioned) or it simply wasn't effective for those issues. Maybe more suited for an injury where the basic problem is inflammation itself (like a sprained ankle) rather than a muscle imbalance or overuse

2014-06-05 10:25 AM

User image

I tried it on my ITBS about a year ago. It did not help me. I tried a few of the different taping methods I found and none were successful. Using a roller was the only thing I found to treat the acute symptoms and I have been working to correct imbalances and bad habits to avoid further aggravation.
2014-06-05 4:25 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
KT tape works great on supporting your post Tib. Regular athletic tape works as well but isn't as comfortable and needs to be reapplied every run.
2014-06-05 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

The placebo effect is still an effect.

The best use I've found for it is making big, home-made band-aids for road rash. A layer of Tegaderm, a layer of gauze, and KT over it to hold it all down and cover it. Bam! You can go out in public again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KT Tape Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

KT Tape advice?

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 2490 Posts: 11

2013-10-05 9:05 AM RRH_88

Rock Tape/KT tape for support on race day?

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1777 Posts: 6

2012-08-10 12:13 PM axteraa

KT Tape

Started by prieto539
Views: 2876 Posts: 17

2012-07-08 12:57 PM NeverEnough

KT Tape

Started by brickbd
Views: 1459 Posts: 10

2012-06-21 7:22 PM axteraa

Options other than electric tape to finish bar tape?

Started by KathyG
Views: 3227 Posts: 13

2011-09-21 1:01 PM jedibluez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.