Revolution 3
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 02m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove half way to Sissy's Friday and then the rest of the way to CT Saturday morning. We stayed over at the Hogan's the night before the race. Up around 4-something for coffee and breakfast (english muffin, almond butter and a banana). We left around 5:00 am and I finished a bottle of GU20 on the drive to the race site. We hit a little traffic, but overall had no issues. I set up my transition area, pumped my tires and put my wetsuit on to stay warm. Brad's wave went off 30 minutes before ours so we said our goodbyes/good lucks and he was off. Me, Amy and Heidi stood around in the sun trying to stay warm before our waves. With about 15 minutes before my wave, the 3 of us got into the water to get used to it and take away some of the cold water (65*) shock.
Event warmup:

No real warm up....I got into the water to get wet and allow water to get into my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 34m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had higher hopes for the swim. I actually had higher hopes for the day, but more on that later. I started out what I thought was a good pace. My sighting was great. We made the first right turn, turning into the sunlight and I was blinded. Even with tinted goggles, I couldn't see anything. I definitely couldn't see the buoys and could only see the kayaks, etc once I was on top of them. This made swimming hard and with focus difficult for me. I totally lost focus during this section. I forgot to continue swimming hard and became more concerned with ensuring I wasn't completely swimming off course. I made the second turn and then had the sun to my left. This was a little better, but I was defeated when I looked at my watch to see 23:XX. I knew I would have a slower swim than 2011. I tried to refocus and worry about the rest of the swim, trying to shake it off. I got out of the water and saw 34:xx and was disappointed knowing I am capable of having a faster swim.
What would you do differently?:

It helps knowing I was within 1:20 of the top swim in my AG, but still, this swim was not what I am capable. I am not quite sure what happened here. Perhaps I lost momentum in the stretch into the sun. Or maybe, with this being the first race of the season, mentally I wasn't in race mode. Not sure what it was, but the lackluster performance continued....
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

The run out of the lake to the transition area is uphill. I tried to start running, but my breathing was out of control so I walked fast until I got to the top of the hill. I used the walking time to take off my cap/goggles and get my wetsuit down to my waist. Once at my transition area, I was fairly efficient from what I can recall. There's always room for improvement, but given that I put on socks, chamois butter, arm warmers (rolled up so I only put them on my wrist and roll them up as I ride) and gloves along with helmet, sunglasses and shoes, the overall time wasn't awful.

Like always, hustle.
Bike
  • 3h 54m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I started the ride chilly, but knew I would warm up on the hills. The goal was to ride 80% and I was able to do that through about mile 30, with the help of the hills. I took a few minutes to settle in and then ate Chomps or a GU ever 30 minutes. I also had a bunch of water from my aerobottle and about 1.5 bottles of GU20. I've learned from training rides that too much sugary drink will upset my stomach so I wanted to ensure I had enough water.

The pace from the start felt comfortably hard. The hills weren't awful, but I was definitely getting passed on them. The highlight of the ride was pushing myself on the downhills and pedaling until I ran out of gears. I passed all of those people that rode by me on the uphills.

I knew miles of climbing started around mile 23. I just settled in and tried to get up the hills as easily as possible. It felt as if my back tire was soft, but I was kind of in denial and didn't want to stop and see. Finally before mile 30, I stopped and it was soft. I knew there were some nasty downhills coming up so figured I 'd better stop to check. Just as I was getting my wheel off my bike, SAG stopped to help and ended up changing it for me. The entire stop cost me about 6 minutes versus longer if I was doing it by myself.

Once I got going again, I found it hard to continue to hit my goal watts. I've thought about it a lot and don't think I can blame the flat tire for my crapastic ride. While my watt average before the flat was around 80%, it was a mix of screaming downhills with low watts and long uphills with watts over my goal. So I am wondering if I just rode too hard for the course.

I tried to remained focused on my watts, but my legs just didn't want to turn over. I kept up with nutrition and hydration and took 2 tylenol to see if that helped at all.

I was able to see Heidi on the out and back (she passed me about 1 hour in and gave an ass-pinch as she rode by). Always great to see a familiar face on the course.

The last hour felt like it lasted forever. I was just over being on the bike. I wasn't totally miserable, but was annoyed I wasn't having a good race. I popped a GU with about 10-15 minutes left so I had a chance to let it settle before starting the run.

Coming into the transition area, I saw our support crew along with Brad who was finished.

I'm not sure. The hills were manageable, but I am not sure why things fell apart. I have my theory above. I am sure I lost some rhythm with the flat, but having SAG there, I wasn't stressed or worried about it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I nearly ran by my rack, but found it and got to work.
I had already taken my arm warmers off (took them off early on the bike). And I took my gloves off the last mile or so on the bike stuffing them into my bento box. Off with my helmet and shoes and on with my Newtons. I have to tie them since speedlaces don't work for me. I put my bib on while running and stopped at the first water station right outside transition to fill my water bottle.

Always room to hustle more.
Run
  • 2h 28m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh. The run. I got off of the bike and knew I had slower swim and bike times from 2011. Having done the aquavelo that year, I only knew of the challenge of the run course from the stories of others. I had the goal to run the entire run course. I stopped briefly to chat with our group to learn that Brad came in at 4:59 and Amy had to DNF on the swim.
I had to pee pretty badly and since there were no port-o-potties in the transition area, I stopped at the first one shortly after mile 1. I had to wait briefly, but I needed to go so no other option. I took some Chomps around mile 2 and then mile 4, which is when the first killer climb appeared. I tried to run it, but my breathing was labored and I just couldn't get up it running.

From then on, I ran as much of the uphills as I could while running the downhills and flats. I took a GU at mile 8 and a few more Chomps around mile 11.

As the run progressed, I had less and less in my legs and found myself walking more. I popped 2 more salt tabs (took 2 in T2) and 2 more tylenol somewhere along the way thinking perhaps that would help.

The rest of the run was just disappointing, knowing I am capable of better. I saw Brad and Craig before mile 9 and that was a good pick me up. Around mile 9, I started to do the math to see if I could come in under 7 hours. I knew it would be tough, having to average about 11 minute miles (and I was moving slower than that).

I was annoyed with myself. I was annoyed I didn't have not only a good race, but all 3 disciplines were not good. I kept trying to stay positive, but was just pissed at myself...knowing I can do better, yet questioning whether or not I have a successful 70.3 in me. I was happy to climb the final hill and see Nate and Craig at the top. They ran with me until I made the final turn into the chute where I saw and heard the rest of our crew. I even said to them as we were running that the only redeeming quality of the race was that I finished.

Suck it up, have stronger mental toughness and not walk as much.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a cold towel, downed Perform Recovery drink that had a tent at the finish and found our group.

Another positive, on top of finishing, was not getting or having a migraine when I finished. That's the first time in a long time. So somewhere out there, maybe I did something right...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really sure....first race of the season/not in race mentality? forgot mental toughness? hills spiked my watts and I was riding too hard (while riding as easily as I could)?

Event comments:

This is a tough course. The bike and run courses are technical and hilly, but not out of my ability. It just wasn't my day. I've beat myself up over the race and racked my brain over what happened or what I could have done differently...so I could learn from it, move on and not do it again.

I've allowed myself way more time than I should have to beat myself up over my performance on Sunday. Part of this race report is for me to get it all out and now it's time to move on. I can't be upset with myself over this any longer. And I while I didn't have the day I intended, I need to at least recognize the victories of the day (finishing, no migraine, good nutrition).

Pick my head up, recover and get my ass back to training. I saw a quote yesterday that was perfect - "Don't forget that you're human. It's okay to have a melt down. Just don't unpack and live there. Cry it out and then refocus on where you're headed."

Last updated: 2014-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:35 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: full sleeved wetsuit
Course: Clockwise triangle getting out a little ways away from the swim start
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:54:24 | 56 miles | 14.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/30
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a lollipop shape with some significant climbs. Course is somewhat technical with the curves/turns and downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:28:31 | 13.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/30
Course: A loop around the lake and then a shorter loop leaving from the transition area. Rolling hills with some decent climbs including 2 notable climbs. Mostly shaded roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-03 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

2014-06-05 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5006509

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
K - First, 3rd AG on the swim is awesome, especially with having to swim thru the other waves before you. Second, the course is more challenging then any of the other 70.3 I have done. So taking it on for the first long course race of the season on June 1 is a huge accomplishment. A mechanical on the bike always is a motivation zapper for me. No matter if I feel stressed or not, it definitely affect how I ride afterwards. Third, to have a successful day with nutrition/hydration is a huge accomplishment.

I definitely know the feeling of under performing, but know that beating myself up for it is not going to get me anywhere but frustrated. With the training you are putting in and the tests you are doing to understand what works and does not work, you will have a day where it all comes together real soon.

It is always great racing with you and seeing you on the course. And I can not wait to see you on racing strong on August 17.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
2014-06-06 6:46 AM
in reply to: hdhtri

User image

Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
This is the hardest 70.3 there is. Congrats on getting through it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Aquabike

Started by astorm65
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 9:12 PM astorm65

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by cialome
Views: 1222 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 11:24 AM cialome

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by DEFYINGRAVITY
Views: 1607 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:09 AM DEFYINGRAVITY

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1651 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2023 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.