View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ridgefield, Connecticut
United States
Total Time = 1h 20m 41s
Overall Rank = 55/309
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Event warmup:

It’s now my sophomore season of triathlon. A race where the starting line is barely more than a mile from my house and the run and bike route pass my house – I’m in!
Swim
  • 15m 49s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Calm pond water swim in water that was warmer than the air temperature. The first wave was all M 39 and under and it was actually a lot less people than I was expecting. Nevertheless, I started toward the middle and outside just to avoid contact. Tried very hard to not start too fast and just settle into a rhythm. Once I rounded the last buoy I tried to pick up the pace slightly as I swam toward shore. Time includes the short run from the beach to the transition area in the parking lot.
What would you do differently?:

This was an average swim and about what I expected for my current swim-fitness level. I’m changing my approach to swim training. I’m going to re-evaluate my stroke and really focus on quality over quantity.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Need to hurry up, buttercup.

Mentally prepare and practice.
Bike
  • 39m 59s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 19.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Ran my bike to the mount line and clumsily clipped in and started out on the course. Overall a disappointing bike but I only have myself and my lack of bike fitness to blame. I felt I hit my stride a bit more toward the second half of the bike. Funny side story: I saw another BT’er at the race and although we’ve never met I hope he won’t mind me giving him a shout out. In transition area before the race I happened to recognize (Rudedog) from his picture on BT. His reputation on the bike precedes him and I can attest first hand. During the race I was making a pass 1/3 of the way through the bike course when I hear what sounds like a car coming to my left. The purple blur that is Rudy passed me like I was standing still. I couldn’t help but smile.

I need to re-evaluate my bike training. My bike fitness and to some extent race experience / strategy is lacking and it shows. I have almost exclusively trained indoors on my trainer and although I do frequent interval-work, I was just no prepared for this course. I was crawling up the hills in my granny gear. I felt like I was giving an all-out effort based on HR and RPE but my PR on the run after makes me question if I’m really working as hard as I could be?
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Hmm, not sure what happened here.
Run
  • 20m 48s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 10s  min/km
Comments:

Having driven the run course the day before, I was not looking forward to it. The first half is basically entirely uphill. I started off with a high turnover and peaked at my HR which looked to be where it should and lined up with my RPE. My feet were slightly numb from the bike and it took the first quarter to half mile to get the feeling back and get my legs back under me. I felt strong but made sure to hold just a little bit back for the downhill second half. I crested the final hill and knew it was time to pick up the pace. I speedily ran the down hills and made an extra push about a quarter mile before the finish, overtaking a few racers.

Set a 5K PR – including stand-alone races! I’ve adjusted my run training recently after a decent base and feel my quality workouts are starting to show. Very happy with my run, felt I paced and executed the run perfectly.
Post race
Warm down:

Milled around after the race and caught up with a new friend (fisherman) to chat. Sheepishly collected my 2nd place AG award – I had no business taking a podium spot for my AG with my time, but since it may not happen again anytime soon, I’ll take it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim was average my bike was weak and my run was strong. I need to put more effort and emphasis on the swim and especially the bike if I want to reach my goal to go sub-1:15. Transitions were also an afterthought in my preparation and I need to at least mentally prepare a bit more so I can shave off a few precious seconds.

Event comments:

Well organized local race. Had a blast and will be back next year!

Last updated: 2014-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:49 | 880 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 76/309
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pond swim - trapezoid
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:59 | 12.75 miles | 19.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 88/309
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Rolling Hilly course through Ridgefield
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:48 | 05 kms | 04m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 25/309
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-04 3:11 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Ridgefield Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ridgefield Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ridgefield Sprint Triathlon

Started by fisherman76
Views: 948 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 11:32 AM Rudedog55

Started by linneyj
Views: 1113 Posts: 3

2011-06-11 8:16 PM linneyj

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 885 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:20 AM KellyCByrne

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 1704 Posts: 4

2011-06-07 12:44 PM wstchstrTriathlete

Started by ering305
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2010-06-09 8:23 PM ering305
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.