Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-06-05 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: ECB cuts interest rates to -0.1%
http://www.businessinsider.com/june-ecb-decision-2014-6

Well that is interesting. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen that stateside yet.

2014-06-05 11:45 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: ECB cuts interest rates to -0.1%

Originally posted by JoshR http://www.businessinsider.com/june-ecb-decision-2014-6Well that is interesting. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen that stateside yet.

It's really the main tool the government has to control the economy, but when you couple it with all the regulations towards lending it really doesn't "trickle down" to the spenders.  It's getting better, but it's still really difficult to get loans on many things, so the economy sits in the rut it's been for several years.

The banks love it because it gives them virtually unlimited "free" loans, but that's about it.

As I've said before, something is going to give in our economy.  I'm not sure what the catalyst will be, but it likely won't be pretty.

2014-06-05 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by JoshR http://www.businessinsider.com/june-ecb-decision-2014-6Well that is interesting. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen that stateside yet.

It's really the main tool the government has to control the economy, but when you couple it with all the regulations towards lending it really doesn't "trickle down" to the spenders.  It's getting better, but it's still really difficult to get loans on many things, so the economy sits in the rut it's been for several years.

The banks love it because it gives them virtually unlimited "free" loans, but that's about it.

As I've said before, something is going to give in our economy.  I'm not sure what the catalyst will be, but it likely won't be pretty.

Based on what?  Not meant to be sarcastic, just interested in hearing differing opinions.  I said before the year started I'd be happy with a 8-10% return this year in the stock market, compared to the double digit numbers from the last few years.  I'm at 7 % now so it could end up being better than I had thought.  I'm still dumbfounded by people who have the means, but have stayed out of the market because they are scared of "something".   What a run they have missed/are missing.  At this point, with an election year looming, I can't see the trend reversing.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-05 12:15 PM
2014-06-05 1:09 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Based on what?  Not meant to be sarcastic, just interested in hearing differing opinions.  I said before the year started I'd be happy with a 8-10% return this year in the stock market, compared to the double digit numbers from the last few years.  I'm at 7 % now so it could end up being better than I had thought.  I'm still dumbfounded by people who have the means, but have stayed out of the market because they are scared of "something".   What a run they have missed/are missing.  At this point, with an election year looming, I can't see the trend reversing.

Based on the premise of what's holding the stock market up.  QE

Obviously I have no clue what the market is going to do and it could go up forever, but when you look at the economy as a whole compared to the stock market something is out of whack.  I like to call it the steroid market because of all the government doping going on.  When the doping stops, the stock market will fall back in line with the economy as a whole.  When will they stop the doping?  Who knows.

I think it was either late 2012 or early 2013 was when I realized the magnitude of the QE's effect on the market based on how it was reacting.  Every time there would be good economic news the market would plummet because wall street was worried that QE would stop, whoever when there was terrible news about the economy the market would explode.  It was completely the opposite of what it should have done because the market is driven almost entirely by the amount of money the feds are putting into the system.

Personally, I'm out right now but it's more about me being too busy at work to keep an eye on things.  I trade based on trends and the market is still trending up.  I'd be long on the market right now and continue to stay long until the trend reversed downward.  Then I'd ride it down.  

2014-06-05 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

I'm not a big finance person so I am going with the I don't know what to do so I'm doing nothing. There are so many things out there that could bring the party to an end. Q1 GDP was negative, which means we are 1 more quarter from a recession, of which we have not had one since 2008. That is one of the longest periods in our history of continued growth. Just in my career field, it's easy to see the effects are still lingering. Lots of companies are struggling to stay afloat or pay their bills. Numerous customers have gone out of business. The competition for the reduced business available is extreme.

On a more positive note, my house is worth about double what I bought it for in only 2.5 years, thanks to the rising values and an ignorant bank not knowing what they sold me.
2014-06-05 1:24 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Obviously I have no clue what the market is going to do and it could go up forever, but when you look at the economy as a whole compared to the stock market something is out of whack.  I like to call it the steroid market because of all the government doping going on.  When the doping stops, the stock market will fall back in line with the economy as a whole.  When will they stop the doping?  Who knows.

I think it was either late 2012 or early 2013 was when I realized the magnitude of the QE's effect on the market based on how it was reacting.  Every time there would be good economic news the market would plummet because wall street was worried that QE would stop, whoever when there was terrible news about the economy the market would explode.  It was completely the opposite of what it should have done because the market is driven almost entirely by the amount of money the feds are putting into the system.

Personally, I'm out right now but it's more about me being too busy at work to keep an eye on things.  I trade based on trends and the market is still trending up.  I'd be long on the market right now and continue to stay long until the trend reversed downward.  Then I'd ride it down.  

Actually, this year, the market is behaving much more normal.  It's up on good news and down a bit on bad news.....and the truth is, there is more good news than bad news right now, which, if history is a lesson, means that there are good gains ahead moving to an election year.  hell, the S&P (which some predicted would fall all year) is on a steady march to 2000, the Dow and Nasdaq are near 17000 and 4300 respectively.  The bull is nowhere near dead.

2014-06-05 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Actually, this year, the market is behaving much more normal.  It's up on good news and down a bit on bad news.....and the truth is, there is more good news than bad news right now, which, if history is a lesson, means that there are good gains ahead moving to an election year.  hell, the S&P (which some predicted would fall all year) is on a steady march to 2000, the Dow and Nasdaq are near 17000 and 4300 respectively.  The bull is nowhere near dead.

Obviously the market will go up and it will go down and hopefully it continues on an upward trend overall like it did through the late 20th century.  It is breaking out some now, but for the past 15 years it has really been flat overall stuck in the 2000 & 2008 bubble swings.
S&P last 15 years
I read something the other day that I thought was interesting.  The S&P has gone up almost 24% since the 2007 peak, but the per capita income hasn't even increased 2% during that same period of time.

I'm personally very skeptical of the market as a whole because I started my investing as an adult in the late 90's during the peaks.  I lost my behind during the first bubble pop.  I got all excited and sounded a lot like you during the second run up and was loving the ride and then it all blew up again in 2008.  The unfortunate thing was that I had a personal financial issue in 2009 that forced me to liquidate towards the bottom so I didn't get to ride that one back up.  However, as we've discussed before if I were to have bought all my stock at once back in 1999 my overall return for the last 15 years would have been at best 20% total which doesn't even cover inflation.

At 40 I've got at least another 20-25 years of growth investing left in me and if they're anything like the last 15 years buy and hold is going to net me jack squat.  All the "make money in the market" strategies have to either go back to the mid 90's or assume start periods in the down side of the bubbles.  Buy/hold and or dollar cost averaging through my investing years has been crap.  

2014-06-05 2:27 PM

User image

Pro

Obviously the market will go up and it will go down and hopefully it continues on an upward trend overall like it did through the late 20th century.  It is breaking out some now, but for the past 15 years it has really been flat overall stuck in the 2000 & 2008 bubble swings.
S&P last 15 years
I read something the other day that I thought was interesting.  The S&P has gone up almost 24% since the 2007 peak, but the per capita income hasn't even increased 2% during that same period of time.

I'm personally very skeptical of the market as a whole because I started my investing as an adult in the late 90's during the peaks.  I lost my behind during the first bubble pop.  I got all excited and sounded a lot like you during the second run up and was loving the ride and then it all blew up again in 2008.  The unfortunate thing was that I had a personal financial issue in 2009 that forced me to liquidate towards the bottom so I didn't get to ride that one back up.  However, as we've discussed before if I were to have bought all my stock at once back in 1999 my overall return for the last 15 years would have been at best 20% total which doesn't even cover inflation.

At 40 I've got at least another 20-25 years of growth investing left in me and if they're anything like the last 15 years buy and hold is going to net me jack squat.  All the "make money in the market" strategies have to either go back to the mid 90's or assume start periods in the down side of the bubbles.  Buy/hold and or dollar cost averaging through my investing years has been crap.  

I started investing in 1987.  I didn't bat an eye when either bubble burst and, in fact, poured every dime I could spare into the market when those "crashes" occurred (on the advice of my grandfather)   I have stayed the course and it continues to pay off.  I'm close (4-6 years) to retiring so I'm starting tothink of other investments besides the stock market, but not getting rattled by the ups and downs of the market and looking down the road long term has been the deal. (as it always has been).  I don't get trying to "play" the market......that seems like a good way to get played, and get hammered.

Still, if you didn't have as much money as you could afford in the stock market when the Fed was TELLING you they would keep it propped up the last 3-5 years....well, I'm not sure what to say about not betting as close to a sure thing as there ever has been.

2014-06-05 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

S&P last 15 years

I started investing in 1987.  I didn't bat an eye when either bubble burst and, in fact, poured every dime I could spare into the market when those "crashes" occurred (on the advice of my grandfather)   I have stayed the course and it continues to pay off.  I'm close (4-6 years) to retiring so I'm starting tothink of other investments besides the stock market, but not getting rattled by the ups and downs of the market and looking down the road long term has been the deal. (as it always has been).  I don't get trying to "play" the market......that seems like a good way to get played, and get hammered.

Still, if you didn't have as much money as you could afford in the stock market when the Fed was TELLING you they would keep it propped up the last 3-5 years....well, I'm not sure what to say about not betting as close to a sure thing as there ever has been.

Who says I haven't been.  I've made a killing over the last three years "playing" the market.  I honestly don't care which way it's going because I make really good returns in any trending market (up or down).  The reason I like swing trading is that it gives me the control vs. "hoping" the market keeps going up forever.

So, in a way I do buy and hold, but just on a shorter timescale.  I buy on Friday and hold till the next Friday.  I also buy options so I get a 100:1 leverage on every dollar I spend which lets me risk substantially less $ on each investment.  In other words I can risk $100 but get the return of 10,000 invested for the week.

2014-06-05 2:57 PM

User image

Pro

S&P last 15 years

Who says I haven't been.  I've made a killing over the last three years "playing" the market.  I honestly don't care which way it's going because I make really good returns in any trending market (up or down).  The reason I like swing trading is that it gives me the control vs. "hoping" the market keeps going up forever.

So, in a way I do buy and hold, but just on a shorter timescale.  I buy on Friday and hold till the next Friday.  I also buy options so I get a 100:1 leverage on every dollar I spend which lets me risk substantially less $ on each investment.  In other words I can risk $100 but get the return of 10,000 invested for the week.

Then how in the hell did you get beat up in 2000 and 2008?  That's a pretty long "friday to friday".

And I wasn't talking to you in particular regarding not being in the market.....but there are a ton of folks who won't get in because they listen to poeple saying it will crash based on nothing more than a feeling,,,,,,,while the economy makes a slow turn and comes back....bringing the market with it.  Dude, if you don't think our economy is turhning around.....head to N. Dakota and take a look around....and that6's only one example.

2014-06-05 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

S&P last 15 years

Then how in the hell did you get beat up in 2000 and 2008?  That's a pretty long "friday to friday".

And I wasn't talking to you in particular regarding not being in the market.....but there are a ton of folks who won't get in because they listen to poeple saying it will crash based on nothing more than a feeling,,,,,,,while the economy makes a slow turn and comes back....bringing the market with it.  Dude, if you don't think our economy is turhning around.....head to N. Dakota and take a look around....and that6's only one example.

lol, I didn't start swing trading full time until after the 2008 bloodbath.  

Early years I worked at MCI/Worldcom and invested heavily in the company stock plan which matched 100% and let us buy at a discount.  Oops
After recovering from that I started investing in what I'd call standard investments 401k and mutual funds outside of that.  2008 hit and I had my little midlife crisis that involved going to jail and losing my job that forced me to liquidate at the bottom to get my company going.  Oops
My real retirement investment is my business, but secondarily I only do swing trading on ETF options (primarily QQQ).  After MCI/Worldcom I'll never buy a single company stock EVER again.  With 15 years of ups and downs I'll never "buy and hold" in the traditional sense.  

2014-06-05 3:21 PM

User image

Pro

S&P last 15 years

lol, I didn't start swing trading full time until after the 2008 bloodbath.  

Early years I worked at MCI/Worldcom and invested heavily in the company stock plan which matched 100% and let us buy at a discount.  Oops
After recovering from that I started investing in what I'd call standard investments 401k and mutual funds outside of that.  2008 hit and I had my little midlife crisis that involved going to jail and losing my job that forced me to liquidate at the bottom to get my company going.  Oops
My real retirement investment is my business, but secondarily I only do swing trading on ETF options (primarily QQQ).  After MCI/Worldcom I'll never buy a single company stock EVER again.  With 15 years of ups and downs I'll never "buy and hold" in the traditional sense.  

Most of what I hold now are Mutual Funds....but 100% stock invested.  I've held a couple of funds for over 20 years.....they have been managed quite well.

2014-06-06 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

actually, thats not correct LB. Just last week after GDP was reported...negative. That's not good news. At least not to me. But how did the markets react...they went up. Yes, the markets are more rational that they were a year ago but basically they find a reason to go up. I agree with Tony, QE haas inflated the markets and I don't think this will end well. Other than my 401K and the RSX, and a small position with some LT call in miners I am done with equities. I moved a good portion to gold and silver and the rest cash. I know you can't time the market and honestly I think there is still upside due to the Fed. But this isn't their job to try and influence the markets. But what do you expect from former bankers. I say abolish the Fed.

And don't get me wrong...I wish the market would continue like this forever! I've been around long enough to know what market bubbles look like.
2014-06-06 8:54 AM
in reply to: rayd

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by rayd

actually, thats not correct LB. Just last week after GDP was reported...negative. That's not good news. At least not to me. But how did the markets react...they went up. Yes, the markets are more rational that they were a year ago but basically they find a reason to go up. I agree with Tony, QE haas inflated the markets and I don't think this will end well. Other than my 401K and the RSX, and a small position with some LT call in miners I am done with equities. I moved a good portion to gold and silver and the rest cash. I know you can't time the market and honestly I think there is still upside due to the Fed. But this isn't their job to try and influence the markets. But what do you expect from former bankers. I say abolish the Fed. And don't get me wrong...I wish the market would continue like this forever! I've been around long enough to know what market bubbles look like.

I agree in abolishing the Fed because the markets need to go up and down and companies and consumers need to react accordingly.  I have called it the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality of government in that we can never let the markets/economy go down and have to do everything including borrowing into oblivion to keep them up?  Why do we do that?  So that no company will fail?  If I own a billion dollar company and mismanage it to the point that it's going to fail, shouldn't it fail?  Or should I be rewarded by getting billions/trillions of dollars from the federal government to power through my stupidity.
If nobody fails, then nobody learns.  If nobody learns then the economy as a whole gets more and more unstable and we all lose in the end.

Same thing with stocks, if the market "always" goes up and everybody dumps all their investments into equities because "they always go up" then what happens when they don't?  It's far worse than if equities didn't always go up and people diversified their portfolio's into several solid investments.

Here's a fairly balanced article about the unintended consequences of QE and how/why it's holding the markets up:

http://www.moneynews.com/Ed-Moy/Fed-QE-inflation-Yellen/2014/02/14/id/552765/

Personally, if I had a lot in equities or mutual funds I'd keep a very close eye on the Fed and their QE.  As long as they keep it up, then it's all systems go, but when they shut it down it's time to shift out of equities.

From the article:
Seeking higher returns and short-term gains, financial institutions poured money into the stock market and invested in businesses in emerging markets that had robust growth. With QE funds not doing what they were supposed to do, the Fed had little choice but to end the program gently. That is why the stock market and the currencies of emerging markets tanked when the Fed started tapering its asset purchases. Without propping up by the Fed, investors are starting to focus on the fundamentals, which are mixed and do not support many high stock prices.

If you need more proof of the correlation, then look at this graph of the Dow compared to the money pumped in by the Fed:

The intent was for the QE money to go into the economy, but it's really just going into the stock market because banks aren't willing to take a risk by lending, it's much easier to just throw the money into the market for easy returns.  When QE stops and they try to get the money back the vast majority of the money will come out of the stock market and then the underlying equity fundamentals will have to support the market.  The underlying fundamentals aren't really that much better than they were back in 2008, which is why I say another "crash" is coming at some point.  The market is in a bubble that's unsupported by fundamentals.

2014-06-06 10:17 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

actually, thats not correct LB. Just last week after GDP was reported...negative. That's not good news. At least not to me. But how did the markets react...they went up. Yes, the markets are more rational that they were a year ago but basically they find a reason to go up. I agree with Tony, QE haas inflated the markets and I don't think this will end well. Other than my 401K and the RSX, and a small position with some LT call in miners I am done with equities. I moved a good portion to gold and silver and the rest cash. I know you can't time the market and honestly I think there is still upside due to the Fed. But this isn't their job to try and influence the markets. But what do you expect from former bankers. I say abolish the Fed. And don't get me wrong...I wish the market would continue like this forever! I've been around long enough to know what market bubbles look like.

I agree in abolishing the Fed because the markets need to go up and down and companies and consumers need to react accordingly.  I have called it the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality of government in that we can never let the markets/economy go down and have to do everything including borrowing into oblivion to keep them up?  Why do we do that?  So that no company will fail?  If I own a billion dollar company and mismanage it to the point that it's going to fail, shouldn't it fail?  Or should I be rewarded by getting billions/trillions of dollars from the federal government to power through my stupidity.
If nobody fails, then nobody learns.  If nobody learns then the economy as a whole gets more and more unstable and we all lose in the end.

Same thing with stocks, if the market "always" goes up and everybody dumps all their investments into equities because "they always go up" then what happens when they don't?  It's far worse than if equities didn't always go up and people diversified their portfolio's into several solid investments.

Here's a fairly balanced article about the unintended consequences of QE and how/why it's holding the markets up:

Personally, if I had a lot in equities or mutual funds I'd keep a very close eye on the Fed and their QE.  As long as they keep it up, then it's all systems go, but when they shut it down it's time to shift out of equities.

From the article:
Seeking higher returns and short-term gains, financial institutions poured money into the stock market and invested in businesses in emerging markets that had robust growth. With QE funds not doing what they were supposed to do, the Fed had little choice but to end the program gently. That is why the stock market and the currencies of emerging markets tanked when the Fed started tapering its asset purchases. Without propping up by the Fed, investors are starting to focus on the fundamentals, which are mixed and do not support many high stock prices.

If you need more proof of the correlation, then look at this graph of the Dow compared to the money pumped in by the Fed:

The intent was for the QE money to go into the economy, but it's really just going into the stock market because banks aren't willing to take a risk by lending, it's much easier to just throw the money into the market for easy returns.  When QE stops and they try to get the money back the vast majority of the money will come out of the stock market and then the underlying equity fundamentals will have to support the market.  The underlying fundamentals aren't really that much better than they were back in 2008, which is why I say another "crash" is coming at some point.  The market is in a bubble that's unsupported by fundamentals.

Its not really my side (as it hasn't been for a while) but the buyers believe we're in a sweet spot so to speak. As the logic goes while the Fed is tapering they're still adding albeit at a slower pace. They've also indicated that rates will stay low for longer, so most likely no rate hikes until late 2015 possibly longer. As for taking the QE money out- that doesn't necessarily have to happen. The end of QE means that the buying stops. Its hard to imagine how the Fed could or would shrink its balance sheet down. Likely scenario is they just leave it at its bloated size. So US is looking at slow growth, low inflation, abundant liquidity, and low rates- sweet spot. Then there's the rest of the world. The belief follows that the QE torch gets passed to Europe and markets get floated even higher for longer. Against that backdrop who's going to sell ? It will all come tumbling down one day but those out their buying think they're clever enough to see the day or at least have enough cushion for it not to hurt. Stay tuned....
2014-06-06 4:44 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n

From the article:

Its not really my side (as it hasn't been for a while) but the buyers believe we're in a sweet spot so to speak. As the logic goes while the Fed is tapering they're still adding albeit at a slower pace. They've also indicated that rates will stay low for longer, so most likely no rate hikes until late 2015 possibly longer. As for taking the QE money out- that doesn't necessarily have to happen. The end of QE means that the buying stops. Its hard to imagine how the Fed could or would shrink its balance sheet down. Likely scenario is they just leave it at its bloated size. So US is looking at slow growth, low inflation, abundant liquidity, and low rates- sweet spot. Then there's the rest of the world. The belief follows that the QE torch gets passed to Europe and markets get floated even higher for longer. Against that backdrop who's going to sell ? It will all come tumbling down one day but those out their buying think they're clever enough to see the day or at least have enough cushion for it not to hurt. Stay tuned....

gr33n - seriously.....how much do you figure you did not make by staying out of the market these last few years......even though you agree this will go on for a bit yet.  My money has almost tripled in the last 6 years.....it's stupid. I make more per year, just letting what I have ride, than I do in salary....between the two it's a six figure deal that starts with a 2, per year, and I'm a damn cop....I agree it's outrageous, but to sit by and watch seems insane to me. At this point, it can crash for 2 or 3 days while I bail out and I'm WAAAY ahead of where I was 6 years ago.  A 20% correction?  30%?  Who cares?  I'm not clever, I'm just listening to what the Fed Chairman does......do you need more clues? 

I'm close to doing what Rayd says......I'll get out....but there is no need to panic sell, or even worry about it.  I'm way ahead of where I ever dreamed I'd be.  I'm 54....my goal was to retire at 60 and not have to work.  If this can hold on through the election year (a pretty good bet with the way the markets can be manipulated, and the Dems desperate to hold on to the White house and point to a robustly recovered economy) I'm done when the next President gets sworn in.  These are just people running this deal......listen to them.  THEY aren't clever.

I'm still in.

2014-06-06 5:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

From the article:

gr33n - seriously.....how much do you figure you did not make by staying out of the market these last few years......even though you agree this will go on for a bit yet.  My money has almost tripled in the last 6 years.....it's stupid. I make more per year, just letting what I have ride, than I do in salary....between the two it's a six figure deal that starts with a 2, per year, and I'm a damn cop....I agree it's outrageous, but to sit by and watch seems insane to me. At this point, it can crash for 2 or 3 days while I bail out and I'm WAAAY ahead of where I was 6 years ago.  A 20% correction?  30%?  Who cares?  I'm not clever, I'm just listening to what the Fed Chairman does......do you need more clues? 

I'm close to doing what Rayd says......I'll get out....but there is no need to panic sell, or even worry about it.  I'm way ahead of where I ever dreamed I'd be.  I'm 54....my goal was to retire at 60 and not have to work.  If this can hold on through the election year (a pretty good bet with the way the markets can be manipulated, and the Dems desperate to hold on to the White house and point to a robustly recovered economy) I'm done when the next President gets sworn in.  These are just people running this deal......listen to them.  THEY aren't clever.

I'm still in.

Just one word of caution on your exit timing.  Never underestimate how difficult it is to sell at a loss.  I have a good friend who I worked with at MCI 14 years ago who said virtually the exact same thing you did.  It dropped 20%, 30%, 40% and he COULDN"T sell it because it was worth so much more and was going to go back up.  He went from several million dollars to ZERO and never sold out.  The human mind is a crazy thing when it comes to stuff like that.

A good friend of mine used to tell me that I haven't made a penny until I've realized the gain.  In other words until I've sold the interest.  So, you have an awesome portfolio out there today, but you haven't sold it yet so you've technically gained nothing.  (kind of a weird way to think of it, i know)  

I've had many option trades where I was up 500% plus in a matter of days/weeks/months and ended up ultimately selling for a major loss or even losing 100%.  Obviously mutual funds don't have that kind of risk, but just giving an example.  

I'm such an optimist.  I know.  

I have just grown very very cautious about my external investments over the years.  If anything that's why I really like owning my own business because I get to control everything and know if things are going good or bad.

2014-06-07 9:20 AM

User image

Pro

From the article:

I'm still in.

Just one word of caution on your exit timing.  Never underestimate how difficult it is to sell at a loss.  I have a good friend who I worked with at MCI 14 years ago who said virtually the exact same thing you did.  It dropped 20%, 30%, 40% and he COULDN"T sell it because it was worth so much more and was going to go back up.  He went from several million dollars to ZERO and never sold out.  The human mind is a crazy thing when it comes to stuff like that.

A good friend of mine used to tell me that I haven't made a penny until I've realized the gain.  In other words until I've sold the interest.  So, you have an awesome portfolio out there today, but you haven't sold it yet so you've technically gained nothing.  (kind of a weird way to think of it, i know)  

I've had many option trades where I was up 500% plus in a matter of days/weeks/months and ended up ultimately selling for a major loss or even losing 100%.  Obviously mutual funds don't have that kind of risk, but just giving an example.  

I'm such an optimist.  I know.  

I have just grown very very cautious about my external investments over the years.  If anything that's why I really like owning my own business because I get to control everything and know if things are going good or bad.

I don't have those kinds of problems.....I control my account but it's tied to a larger retirement fund.  If I want to switch it all to cash, or bonds, I can do it with a phone call, or a right click.

2014-06-09 1:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Madrid
LB I'm the first to admit I blew it on equities these last 2 years. That said I'm still pretty happy with my overall returns on bonds, real estate, and shorter term FX trading. I'm sure you already know this but different investor profiles require different market profiles. Not that it needs defending but here's my snapshot- I'm 55, I've already made a decent amount, and financially what I'd say is comfortable. I have enough set aside for my retirement. I have 1 kid in college and another one that will be starting next year which I already have money set aside for. I don't need to speculate to cover my current or future costs. That said I'm not in a position to lose a significant portion of capital either. For me its all about risk reward. For someone in my position which I know is not a roadmap for other people, the risk of investing (buying into equities at these levels) is not worth what potential upside is left in this late stage rally. So to answer your question of how much longer- Hopefully until the end of my days. I hope for your sake and for others that need to stay invested that it continues to go well. I'll leave you with this last anecdote. A long time ago I was dating this nurse. One day she says to me- I think I'm going to buy some calls with the money I have in my savings on the S&P. The date- September 1987.

* Sorry I answered the wrong question. I was thinking how much longer I'll stay out instead of how much I could have made. Anyhow the answer is don't know don't care.

Edited by gr33n 2014-06-09 1:12 AM
2014-06-09 7:23 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by gr33n LB I'm the first to admit I blew it on equities these last 2 years. That said I'm still pretty happy with my overall returns on bonds, real estate, and shorter term FX trading. I'm sure you already know this but different investor profiles require different market profiles. Not that it needs defending but here's my snapshot- I'm 55, I've already made a decent amount, and financially what I'd say is comfortable. I have enough set aside for my retirement. I have 1 kid in college and another one that will be starting next year which I already have money set aside for. I don't need to speculate to cover my current or future costs. That said I'm not in a position to lose a significant portion of capital either. For me its all about risk reward. For someone in my position which I know is not a roadmap for other people, the risk of investing (buying into equities at these levels) is not worth what potential upside is left in this late stage rally. So to answer your question of how much longer- Hopefully until the end of my days. I hope for your sake and for others that need to stay invested that it continues to go well. I'll leave you with this last anecdote. A long time ago I was dating this nurse. One day she says to me- I think I'm going to buy some calls with the money I have in my savings on the S&P. The date- September 1987. * Sorry I answered the wrong question. I was thinking how much longer I'll stay out instead of how much I could have made. Anyhow the answer is don't know don't care.

I think you left us hanging on the Anecdote.  Did she buy in or not?  

One of my favorite personal stories of wealth ideas foregone was related to the domain name craze of the late 90's.  I can't remember the exact year, but it was somewhere in the mid 90's when I read that they were opening up domain name registrations to anyone who wanted them.  The day it went online the system was really wonky to get into, but I got into it and started searching around for cool names to register.  I remember spending a morning searching for all kinds of names that were available such as cars.com, beer.com, motorcycles.com, etc...  They were all available and for $75 or $100 ea. (can't remember exact price)I could have registered them all.  I remember talking to my wife about it because I wanted to register one for our last name.  We really didn't have the money so I didn't register any of them, but I still remember the exact screen with all of those domains asking me if I'd like to register the name because it was available.   Every one of them sold for millions of dollars during the dot com hyped days.   If I only knew then what I know now.  lol

2014-06-09 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
I think we're about to get a taste of how rate sensitive the stock market is very soon.

2014-06-09 9:02 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n I think we're about to get a taste of how rate sensitive the stock market is very soon.

Define very soon......since you've been predicting doom for 2 years.

2014-06-09 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by gr33n I think we're about to get a taste of how rate sensitive the stock market is very soon.

Define very soon......since you've been predicting doom for 2 years.

2014-06-09 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
OK yes sorry. That timing thing again. Fed meets the 17th and 18th. Market is already starting to push 2 year rates higher. The USD is starting to react positively to the slight nudge higher in rates. We had some comments today from Bullard (one of the Fed Governors) that sees the Fed Funds market starting to bring forward the first tightening to June 2015. Stock markets are usually the last to react to these types of darts, but think you should probably keep an eye on it for the next 10 days or so to see if there's any contagion into equity markets. If there is maybe its not a one off thing but rather something that presents more of a sustainable downside move. Thats about as objective as it gets for me.
2014-06-09 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
check this out-

Correlation to SP500 returns to EM FX collapses
As a general observation the correlation is a positive one, but recently it has turned sharply lower. U.S. equities are near their highs, but many emerging market currencies are not. Worryingly, the last time the 60-day rolling correlation went negative was in May 2008. Does that mean risk is on the verge of a similar blowup? Is that déjà vu all over again or what?
Source: Bloomberg -0.4-0.200.20.40.60.8120072008200920102011201220132014

Sorry I can't get the graph to attach here.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ECB cuts interest rates to -0.1% Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Unemployment and Participation Rate Pages: 1 2

Started by velocomp
Views: 2231 Posts: 27

2014-02-12 11:00 PM pumpkin31

Conflict of Interest

Started by crusevegas
Views: 1532 Posts: 7

2013-11-02 8:34 PM buck1400

Suicide Rate Rises as Economy Stresses Middle-Age America

Started by DanielG
Views: 1590 Posts: 14

2013-05-03 1:33 PM KateTri1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The Doctor says a minimum of eight weeks before I'm back in the pool. I'm training for a HIM and wondering how quickly I can start running and what the recovery will be like.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.