United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 7s
Overall Rank = 3279/5379
Age Group = F 60-64
Age Group Rank = 6/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30, which was a bit earlier than alarm was set for and had some coffee, bread with peanut butter and banana on it, and some Kefir. Drank a cup of water with electrolytes in it at the hotel and then left for the starting line at 4:30 for a 6:15 start. Was feeling good, but usual prerace nerves.
Event warmup:

Walked around prerace village and used the bathroom a few times. Ate half of a banana, half bottle of water, and some more electrolytes. Did a few high steps and jogged a little.
Run
  • 4h 59m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good all through my taper and the days leading up to the Marathon and was confident (mostly) going into the start. I knew I had trained in all the right ways to try to make my BQ goal of 4:25, and was heat acclimated as I live in Key West and trained in heat and high humidity. What I couldn't train for were the hills.

I felt strong through mile 14 even through the hills and never attacked them, but instead took them at a steady pace and let myself go on the downhills as much as possible. Unfortunately, by mile 16 my legs were started to lose energy and by mile 18 I was starting to cramp and just couldn't run up another hill. So, I started to walk up the hills (which got steeper toward the end of the marathon) and tried to run down them unless the cramps in my foot or quad would make me stop. I believe I walked 5 of the last 8 miles. Prior to that time I was running under my goal time and did not feel like I was pushing it too hard. I did relatively well in my age group so I am guessing that I was not alone (and know I wasn't since many people were walking) in not handling the hills. I was so disappointed that the wheels came off the bus and I didn't reach my goal.
What would you do differently?:

I am not sure. I used the Higdon Advanced Marathon plan and think that is a solid plan. I took Gatorade at every stop where they had it and tried to make sure I got a full 4 ounces each time. I didn't take any Gu until mile 14 and then again at 17, and maybe should have earlier since I obviously had glycogen storage issues. But I didn't think I would need it (underestimating what the hills would take out of my legs). I also took a slice of watermelon and orange after mile 17. I might not have carbo loaded the few days before the race good enough, although as a vegetarian, carbs is what I eat most of the time anyway. I think I ate too many complex carbs and healthy facts and not enough starchy calories. Still scratching my head and hoping I get the nutrition down better next time. Next one though, not so hilly.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a lot the rest of the day and the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above, but I believe it was nutrition and lack of ability to hill train.

Event comments:

I highly recommend this race for those wanting to run a hilly marathon, or for those who don't care about your time. It is a great town, a great race, and beautiful course.

Last updated: 2014-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:59:07 | 26.2 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/27
Overall: 3279/5379
Performance: Below average
10K-59:32 Half-2:07:50 20 Mile-3:29:12
Course: Wow, what can I say. This was the hilliest course I have ever run this distance on, and one of the hilliest courses at any distance I have run on. Not just rolling hills, but some serious up and down hills. There were also quite a few canted streets that made it very difficult to find a level surface on. The course was otherwise a great course in terms of running through several areas of beautiful San Diego. The day started out at about 62 degrees and overcast and cleared by finish to sunny and about 74 degrees. Good crowds most of the way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-05 10:25 AM

New user
Key West
Subject: San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon

2014-06-05 11:18 AM
in reply to: #5007538

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon
I'm sorry you didn't meet you BQ time but be HAPPY you live in KeyWest
2014-06-05 5:15 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon
Thanks. We actually now have a marathon down here the second week of October, but I am not completely insane and will not run it. I live here and I know it is still too dang hot and humid mid-Oct for a marathon. If they moved it to coincide with our big half-mary in January, I'd jump on it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon

Started by Cashmason
Views: 792 Posts: 1

2011-11-03 3:44 PM Cashmason

Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - San Diego

Started by zionvier
Views: 2015 Posts: 2

2010-06-14 10:44 AM BigDH

Rock 'n' Roll Marathon San Diego

Started by SuzanneS
Views: 1435 Posts: 1

2006-06-14 3:37 PM SuzanneS

Rock 'n' Roll Marathon San Diego

Started by Frog Girl
Views: 3278 Posts: 2

2006-06-09 6:56 AM drdi

San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon

Started by DB8
Views: 1466 Posts: 6

2005-06-19 8:32 PM lifesgreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.