World Triathlon Corporation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 31m 42s
Overall Rank = 446/2069
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 50/222
Pre-race routine:

Warning.. report is for my coach, so may be TMI in places..

Slept relatively well. Got up at 4:00a after 6 or 6 1/2 hours sleep. Did a quick 15min run then had a breakfast of Cheerios, milk, and a breakfast shake. Got to the bus by 5:00 for the ride out to Lake Jordan and the swim start. Overall felt pretty relaxed.
Event warmup:

A short run as soon as I woke up, then got in the water for 5 minutes right before my wave went off. Otherwise spent the time getting transition set up and waiting in the long bathroom lines.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did a quick warm-up before the swim. Went well and wasn't all too nervous waiting to start.

Started at the back and let the group go for a bit, but caught up as soon as I started to swim. Ended up getting caught behind a bunch of folks in the middle so angled wide to find some open water. Got paused behind a few more groups on the way out, but found mostly open water and was able to get into a rhythm.

It seemed a little longer to the first buoy than I thought, but kept wide around the turn and had space for the across leg. I was trying to concentrate on stroke (head down and good rotation), but it got a little choppy on that length and since I breath left I had to rotate further than normal to get a clean breath. Threw my stroke off a bit, but no issues otherwise.

I tried to get on a couple of feet as swimmers were going by, but by this point I was passing people in my wave and the ones coming from behind were the fastest in the following waves, so wasn't able to hold anyone for long.

Last turn was fine and tried to keep a good pace and strong pulls coming in. Overall my technique was probably better at Reston the week before, but the swim was pretty uneventful. Only issues were expected stuff around finding space, one breath full of water, and getting bumped around a bit. Did fine w/ all of that though and didn't have any mental issues on the swim.

Would like to have swum faster though.. Need to figure out what is still keeping my swim relatively slow. I know the start lost me 2 or 3 minutes, but still think I could go faster.
What would you do differently?:

Not start at the back. I ended up in top half of the swim but started out dead last. Need to start wide but closer to the front so that I can find more open water and maybe even get on someone's feet.
Transition 1
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

took my time, said hi to Amanda, wasn't trying to move all that quickly

could have been faster, but at that point wasn't necessarily doing the race for best time so kept it pretty relaxed
Bike
  • 2h 53m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't sure how I was going to pace the bike (or race) going in. Had done 185w in simulation, but legs were pretty tired after. I was thinking keeping around 180w for the race, but also knew I ride better w/ some variability than I do trying to keep a perfectly even pace thoughout which just seems to wear on my more for some reason. I also tend to recover pretty quickly from harder efforts, so wasn't entirely sure how i'd pace for the ride.

Coming out of T1 there was a big pack on the hill and not wanting to get caught behind all of them or get into drafting trouble I decided to hit it a little harder to get clear of the crowd. By the time I got clear of the hill and crowd I had a NP of around 210 and decided to just east in to 195 or so and see how I did.

Ride was good through half way point and I kept to around 195w NP. Drank a full 32oz bottle by the 2nd water stop and was mostly on track w/ nutrition. Plan was 2 honeywaffles (320 cal), one each during first hour, plus an EFS concentrate bottle w/ 600 calories that I would split over the ride.

Second half I think I lost concentration for a bit and lost some wattage, but was still feeling good and ended w/ 189w NP. The wattage seemed fine for a half and I probably could have gone a bit harder to maintain first half wattage throughout.

Nutrition seemed good, but looking back I didn't drink much in the second half of the ride. I think part of it was I had to pee about a third of the way through and wasn't able to go on the bike and so held out to T2. I wasn't drinking much though on the way there.

Definitely drink more. VI was 1.033, which seemed fine for a half. Will try to limit this a bit more for the full.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

wasn't rushing it too much. stopped to pee on the way out of transition
Run
  • 1h 50m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

went out of T2 behind Trey and used him to pace for the first half of the first lap, but fell off a bit when we hit the hills. Felt good through most of the first loop, but the lack of water on the bike started catching up w/ me by the end of the lap.

Second lap was a bit rougher. Pace fell off until mile 10 when i picked it up a bit for the finish. Paces by quarter: 7:59, 8:13, 9:25, 8:10.

Nutrition wise I took in 120 or so calories w/ some Chomps, plus some Coke on the 2nd lap. Probably could have used a bit more, but I don't think nutrition was as much of an issue as the lack of keeping my hydration on the bike. I did stop at the water stops and drink a bit at each, but I probably drank a gallon and a half after the race before I even had to think about peeing again.. was definitely dehydrated.

Drink more on the bike. Even w/ being dehydrated I finished pretty strong and could have kept that pace throughout if I didn't get myself into a hole. I also think i'll try a gel bottle next long race to make sure I get in my nutrition too.
Post race
Warm down:

None.. finished and drank non-stop for the next hour and a half. Felt pretty wiped out for an hour or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

got behind on hydration for run. On swim started too far back and got held up a lot on our leg.

Event comments:

This was my first 'normal' Half and I enjoyed the course and race overall. Saw a lot of teammates on the course too which was nice.

Last updated: 2014-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 101/222
Overall: 884/2069
Performance: Good
2:01/100m per IM
Suit: Vortex sleeveless
Course: counter clockwise loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:47 | 56 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/222
Overall: 571/2069
Performance: Good
1st half NP - 195 Final NP - 189
Wind: Some
Course: didn't do much research on the course, but was pretty consistent hills. not much difference than back home, but was thinking it would be a little flatter. lesson is to research the course a bit better
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:50:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/222
Overall: 447/2069
Performance: Below average
7:59 8:13 9:25 8:10 Average pace: 8:26
Course: same w/ the bike. a bit hillier than I was thinking. wasn't too bad though
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-05 6:26 PM

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

2014-06-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: #5007868

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
Nice job on that race, like your race report. It was a sneakily warm day, and the wind (which I didn't see you mention much) affected us differently than last year's race. I had the same problem I think of not drinking enough on the bike. Again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 1575 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 3:08 PM enders_shadow

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1203 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 9:16 AM La Tortuga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1857 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 11:12 PM Chunga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1508 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:40 PM tarheeltri

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1430 Posts: 4

2013-06-03 5:24 PM tarheeltri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.