Other Resources The Political Joe » D Day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-06 9:15 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: D Day

70 years ago today the US and our ally's stormed the beaches of Normandy.

President Reagan had one of the best speeches I've ever heard on the 40th Anniversary and it paints a picture that I will never forget.  His speech brings me to tears every time I hear it.

Take 15 minutes today to listen to this speech and remember the sacrifices of so many thousands 70 years ago today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I

2014-06-06 2:33 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: D Day
Can't listen to Reagan, sorry, too cringe-worthy. I did read Ike's speech to the troops before the start or Operation Overlord last night, very solid.
2014-06-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Can't listen to Reagan, sorry, too cringe-worthy. I did read Ike's speech to the troops before the start or Operation Overlord last night, very solid.

Wow, your loss.

2014-06-06 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
My father was a sergeant and went in at Omaha beach. It was his birthday and said thought he would never see another one. He never talked much about it other than to say that it was unimaginable and that he was just one of the lucky ones. My mother worked for Higgins, initially building landing craft and then later worked on PT boats. She said she liked to believe she helped build the boat that carried him on D-Day.

Edited by NXS 2014-06-06 6:56 PM
2014-06-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: tuwood

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by ejshowers Can't listen to Reagan, sorry, too cringe-worthy. I did read Ike's speech to the troops before the start or Operation Overlord last night, very solid.

Wow, your loss.

I listened to it - thanks Tuwood.

bjejshowers, it isn't too bad.  The best part is hearing the experienced actor, Ronald Reagan, tell the story of the day.  On the other hand, even though I'm a believer, I have a hard time with the part on faith and God.  Of course I would have been praying my socks off if I would have been on Omaha Beach but I have a hard time with the idea of God being on anyone's side in a war.  War just seems like something we do when all else fails and in these conflicts the God I believe in does the divine equivalent of weeping.

The meaning of D-day was acute for me this year as I just finished reading Agnes Humbert's Resistance on June 6.  I would highly recommend this book.  She vividly describes longing for Allied advances from the hell of a Nazi forced labor camp.  Her description of her joy as the Allied bombs rained down around her barracks and factory is priceless.

2014-06-07 3:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by annie

Originally posted by tuwood

Wow, your loss.

I listened to it - thanks Tuwood.

bjejshowers, it isn't too bad.  The best part is hearing the experienced actor, Ronald Reagan, tell the story of the day.  On the other hand, even though I'm a believer, I have a hard time with the part on faith and God.  Of course I would have been praying my socks off if I would have been on Omaha Beach but I have a hard time with the idea of God being on anyone's side in a war.  War just seems like something we do when all else fails and in these conflicts the God I believe in does the divine equivalent of weeping.

The meaning of D-day was acute for me this year as I just finished reading Agnes Humbert's Resistance on June 6.  I would highly recommend this book.  She vividly describes longing for Allied advances from the hell of a Nazi forced labor camp.  Her description of her joy as the Allied bombs rained down around her barracks and factory is priceless.

It's not that complicated. What God does or does not do I have no clue. I am just a selfish human sinner. But on the other side of that, is Man. And man certainly has an idea of that... albeit a human's perspective of that. Those that go to war want to think they are fighting the just fight. That they are doing good in the world by defeating evil. With out getting too judgmental... it's fair to say we were on the right side of that one defeating Hitler. So I have no problem with men evoking God in such times. If that is what they need to get the job done, then God Bless, and God speed....

Edited by powerman 2014-06-07 3:49 PM

2014-06-07 4:41 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

I'm not sure how anyone could apply politics, no matter which party you claim affiliation with, when it comes to what the men and women of our country accomplished during WWII.  I'm happy to listen to anyone speak well of it, no matter the politics of our time.  In the history of our nation, as far as I'm concerned, it is our finest hour.  We'd probably have a lot less division if all of us worked to honor the sacrifice of that time.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » D Day Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : July 31, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.

date : March 13, 2005
author : dara
A guide that takes you from check-in to the finish line for your first Ironman triathlon.