General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Weight Loss Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-07 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: IM Weight Loss Question
Need to ask the group a question. This morning - I woke up focused about getting refocused about nutrition. My goal is to lose 2 pounds per week over the next ten weeks and drop 20 lbs before IMMT. Doing so will help me avoid injury and enjoy the day more and accomplishing that goal is realistic because I set my calories deficit for 1200 calories a day - so I'm consuming about 1300 calories. But, my workouts leave me at an even larger deficit - more like 1500 and 1800 on the weekends. I don't think this is healthy or the right way to approach the weight loss. So my question is - should I eat more (actually try to come as close to my deficit as possible) with the goal of boosting my metabolism or should I just continue to run a larger deficit with the hopes of meeting my ultimate goal which is to lose 25 pounds between now and the race?

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-07 8:59 AM

2014-06-07 5:38 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Veteran
Subject: RE: IM Weight Loss Question
If you want to lose 2lbs per week that's about a 6000c deficit, so about 857c per day. I would fuel your workouts normally and eat a normal meal after and try and cut the calories around that.
I personally find it really difficult to cut weight during peak IM training, if I try my workouts turn to crap. I find it much easier when I'm doing less volume and more intensity.
2014-06-10 6:12 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
I agree with the above. If you are looking to drop a bit, just look at what you are eating and drinking. For me when I want to drop I have to cut out the snacks, icecream, Starbucks etc. then I drop a few unneeded LBS quickly and still eat well.
2014-06-10 6:53 AM
in reply to: 0

Regular
The easiest way to shed pounds is to cut out all refined sugars and grains. Stick with lean meats, fruit, veggies and a very small amount of whole grain. NO sports drinks, gels, etc. This will also increase your metabolic efficiency which is tremendously helpful in long course tri.

http://www.eat4fitness.com/articles/Metabolic_Efficiency_Training.p...

http://tridigest.com/metabolic-efficiency

Edited by riltri 2014-06-10 6:57 AM
2014-06-27 4:56 AM
in reply to: #5008625

Ive just lost 30 kg in 6 months
Its all about energy in
No amount of exercise will burn off poor eating
Wor out how lomg it takes to work off each food and you will soon see amazing results
Never eat more then 50% of kj burned for exercise
I survived on 4500 to 4700 kj per day
600 kj for breakfast including whit coffee
1100 kj for lunch
1500-1600 kj for dinner plus snacks
I lost 1 kg plus every week on average..

Its easy.
Special k for breaky skim milk and whit coffee
Fruit morning tea < 500 kj
Lunch 1100 kj
Fruit < 500 kj
Dinner < 1500 kj
Desert 50 g ice cream or less then 550 kj

Easy then train and hydrate

Avoid alcohol

Use diet cola drink for sweet fixes
Use sugar free gum or sugar free mints occasionally during day to overcome cravings

2014-06-27 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Is weight loss a higher priority than being healthy for the start of the race?  

You're into the last two major build phases and a taper.  During the build phases, you do a fair amount of damage to yourself that has to be repaired during rest periods.  Running a large calorie deficit leaves you ill-prepared for rebuilding damaged muscles.  You're likely to find yourself injured or sick.  The quality of your workouts may also deteriorate, and...you're training with a different nutrition strategy than you plan to race.  (Think about it...consuming 300 cal/hour in training when you're running a 1000 cal/day deficit will be quite different than consuming 300 cal/hour when your body has full fueling.)  

2014-06-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Is weight loss a higher priority than being healthy for the start of the race?  

You're into the last two major build phases and a taper.  During the build phases, you do a fair amount of damage to yourself that has to be repaired during rest periods.  Running a large calorie deficit leaves you ill-prepared for rebuilding damaged muscles.  You're likely to find yourself injured or sick.  The quality of your workouts may also deteriorate, and...you're training with a different nutrition strategy than you plan to race.  (Think about it...consuming 300 cal/hour in training when you're running a 1000 cal/day deficit will be quite different than consuming 300 cal/hour when your body has full fueling.)  

I agree with this.  I think running the kind of deficit you're thinking about will do more harm than good.  Or perhaps refining your goals.  Do you know whether and to what extent your power will be affected by a 20 or 25 (you mention both) pound weight loss?  Have you been there before, or is this just a goal weight you've picked out? 

I think you should concentrate on the training and recovering /fueling well and let the chips fall where they may.  I think you will find that your body will settle into an equilibrium that it functions well at

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Weight Loss Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weight Loss vs Fitness

Started by Kido
Views: 1776 Posts: 10

2012-08-12 9:28 PM gonwalkabout03

Weight loss while training

Started by jccbulldog
Views: 978 Posts: 8

2008-07-21 9:00 PM KathyG

IM Weight Loss

Started by kuota3
Views: 2032 Posts: 23

2008-02-25 4:44 PM gparris

Taper weight loss

Started by jellyfish74
Views: 675 Posts: 1

2007-07-15 7:17 AM jellyfish74

IMAZ Weight Loss Challenge Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 6685 Posts: 181

2007-03-30 10:41 AM Q
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : May 1, 2006
author : mrakes1
Far too many people are looking for quick body composition fixes, easy exercise programs and anything to keep their eating habits (and waistlines) under control.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 3
I can't hold my stomach in during a race, and certainly not my rear end. Use race photos as motivation.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?