General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week before race? Diet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-07 12:49 PM

Subject: Week before race? Diet?
So I am doing an Olympic tri next Saturday. Any suggestions on diet? Heavy on carbs? Heavy on protein?

2014-06-07 6:04 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

Regular
Subject: RE: Week before race? Diet?
What ever you have been doing in training. Do not change things for the race.
2014-06-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree. You might need to cut back a little on intake, since you're probably training less due to taper. But nothing extreme. Also, the day, esp. the night before, I'd avoid anything really fatty, spicy or potentially upsetting to the stomach/slow to digest. Don't try any unfamiliar foods the night before--something to consider if you've traveled to the race. Rice or pasta, a little lean protein, maybe a salad to get things moving. No need to carbo-load. Some of my races are in pretty extreme heat/humidity, so I might try to make sure I get a little extra salt in my diet the last day or two before the race--probably not necessary for normal conditions. Good luck!
2014-06-08 7:24 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
No special change needed. Carb loading is not effective, you can only carry so many calories no matter what, so if you have a sound diet to start of with, carb loading is only going to make you sluggish. Make sure you eat a good balance of proteins, carbs and fats (and yes, fats are very important) during the week. The only change I would do would be to start drinking substantially more liquids about 3 days prior to the race. You want to make sure you are never thirsty during the week before, hence start the race in good shape.
2014-06-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by Hot Runner Agree. You might need to cut back a little on intake, since you're probably training less due to taper. But nothing extreme. Also, the day, esp. the night before, I'd avoid anything really fatty, spicy or potentially upsetting to the stomach/slow to digest. Don't try any unfamiliar foods the night before--something to consider if you've traveled to the race. Rice or pasta, a little lean protein, maybe a salad to get things moving. No need to carbo-load. Some of my races are in pretty extreme heat/humidity, so I might try to make sure I get a little extra salt in my diet the last day or two before the race--probably not necessary for normal conditions. Good luck!

Discovered this one yesterday during a HIM. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings to celebrate the end of the school year with my kids for lunch on Friday. During the race yesterday I was devastated when I hit the turnaround of the run and realized there were no port-a-johns anywhere in the park except transition. Had to make use of a horse trail...

2014-06-08 4:23 PM
in reply to: #5008677

So having a giant pasta dinner before the race is ineffective in your opinion?

2014-06-08 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by [email protected]

That's 100% correct. IF you, for some reason, do want to carbo-load, do it 2 days before not the night before. If you want to do the best thing you can for a race, eat a HUGE breakfast the day before the race. So for a Saturday race, Friday morning gorge yourself on Pancakes, French Toast, etc.
2014-06-08 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I eat the same as always.  I add beet juice though. 12 ounces a day.  a lot of people and studies say that you have to start it 12-14 days out to work, but i've gotten negative effects from that and better response to the extra nitrates after 3/4 days. 

2014-06-08 11:01 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Everybody has pretty much said everything as far as diet. Don't change anything unless you are not eating healthy. For example, if you are doing more of the "take out" diet, I would at least get a slight increase of fruits, vegetables, and nuts\grains. No need to go extreme, because you don't want your body to be in shock from the change.

Another thing to keep in mind is with a lite breakfast the morning of the event. You will need food\fuel during your bike ride. If you are not used to any of the performance foods by now, get used to what works. You don't want to try anything new on the day of the event.

Lastly, something I was told so many times over...
Food for fuel. Water for hydration. So even though there are calories in sport drinks, it is not fuel. Salts help retain hydration, but shouldn't be over used.

Good luck with your event =)
2014-06-09 5:17 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by [email protected]

Yes. Carb-loading is not very efficient at all, but too much high-glycemic foods (such as pasta) tend to give you a very fast "high" with a very quick "low", you'll end up sluggish and slower than you should've been.

For carb loading to have any kind of effect you need to start 3 days days before the race and go out for a long ride/run on an empty stomach and go until you have completely depleted (the dreaded bonk), then you can refuel efficiently with carbs. The issue with this is that you more than likely hurt your muscles and ended up dehydrated, which now will cause you to have a bad race.

If you look at the diet of a pro cyclist during a stage race, it's carbs, but more so proteins and fats.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week before race? Diet? Rss Feed