Lifetime Fitness
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 35s
Overall Rank = 1023/1517
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 195/246
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 after a terrible night of sleep. Afraid I'd miss my alarm, so I was waking up every hour. Ate a banana, drank some water, and rode my bike the four miles from the hotel to Centennial Beach (left the car with my husband and daughter for later).
Event warmup:

No warm-up. I missed the window to paddle around in the water with the wetsuit first. I wonder how things might have gone differently if I had taken the opportunity to do so?
Swim
  • 20m 56s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was warmer than anyone was expecting, given that it was 60 some odd degrees at the time. First time swimming for a longer time in a wetsuit. The suit was great, but I panicked because it was my first time in water that wasn't clear. Centennial Beach is chlorinated, but not filtered, and the water was a bit murky. That fact threw me off more than anything, and I couldn't get into the swim. I ended up backstroking the better part of the event.

Surprised that I made it in 21 minutes. I was estimating 26. I blame the suit.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely need more open water practice. And the wet suit saved my life. Without it, I probably would have given up before reaching the first turn.
Transition 1
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

There's a long run out of the swim to the transition area, over sand and then asphalt sidewalks.

I got out of the pool needing to go to the bathroom so, so desperately, and wishing I had peed in the pool. You're welcome to my competitors who I did not inflict that on. ;)

Didn't know where to put my wet suit when I pulled it off.

Practice the transition. This was my first time really doing a full one.
Bike
  • 52m 49s
  • 21.4 kms
  • 24.31 km/hr
Comments:

My hips (flexors) started to ache by the back half of the first loop, and I was desperate to go to the bathroom the entire time.

The back half of the second loop had a bit of wind. I hadn't practiced in wind, so I mashed on.

I feel like I both pushed it too hard on the bike, and that I didn't give it enough.

Better bike fitness. I knew this would be my downfall, if anything, of the whole race. I didn't respect the degree to which the bike performance impacts your race time.
Transition 2
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

Did not run with the bike. I may have tried to run, but it was a weak shuffle, and it made more sense to walk. Thank goodness I was racked near the Bike Out/In.

One thing I wasn't counting on was how to cope with re-racking my bike. Of course, everyone who came in before me had racked in a slightly different position than they had before, which meant I had to wedge my bike into a much narrower space. I got tangled in the gears of the bike to my right.

I absolutely HAD to stop to use a port-a-pottie before leaving on the run. I was not prepared to wet myself out there.

Um... I have no idea. Peed on the bike?
Run
  • 33m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 36s  min/km
Comments:

I was hurting for the run. Totally hurting. I walked before we even got to the trees. So much walking. Go figure: I PRd the 5k anyway.

Better bike fitness so I had something to spare on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Uh... banana?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim start threw me off my game early, but once I settled in to enjoy the race, I was limited only by my general fitness level. I'm stronger than I was before I started training, but not as strong as I could be.

Event comments:

This is a great race. Well-organized, lots of volunteers, lots of community support. The energy from the participants is positive and it's very welcoming for first-timers. I would absolutely do this race again.

Last updated: 2014-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:56 | 750 meters | 02m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 227/246
Overall: 1328/1517
Performance: Bad
Suit: Zoot 3.0 Fusion
Course: Out and back three times.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 05:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:49 | 21.4 kms | 24.31 km/hr
Age Group: 163/246
Overall: 835/1517
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops on closed roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:01 | 05 kms | 06m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 179/246
Overall: 930/1517
Course: Loop around the Riverwalk area of Naperville. Starts out through the trees, but enters the surrounding neighborhood pretty quickly. Shared roads with cars.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-08 6:07 PM

Subject: Esprit de She Tri Naperville

2014-06-09 12:03 PM
in reply to: #5009050

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: Esprit de She Tri Naperville

You definitely should have peed in the pool. I was thinking about it, because once I got that darn wetsuit on there was no way it was coming off! But once I got going, I sort of forgot about the need to pee. 

Nice race Janelle! Good to see you on here too! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Esprit de She Tri Naperville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course

Started by 4agoodlife
Views: 1642 Posts: 12

2014-05-06 5:41 PM amd723

Esprit de She Tri Naperville

Started by cloudlover
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 3:40 PM cloudlover

Esprit de She

Started by noodle67
Views: 1191 Posts: 2

2013-05-13 11:49 PM Mikeylee

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course

Started by riorio
Views: 1414 Posts: 9

2013-05-06 6:06 PM 4agoodlife

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Super Sprint Course

Started by 4agoodlife
Views: 2192 Posts: 18

2013-05-09 1:28 PM KansasMom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.