General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean Shores Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-09 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: Ocean Shores Half Ironman
I'm thinking about doing Ocean Shores Half Ironman. I looked up the race reports and couldn't find much. Has anyone done this race? How are the winds? I did Boise this weekend and the winds just about killed me. I'm looking to redeem myself.

Thanks!

2014-06-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: cbrookhart

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ocean Shores Half Ironman
Sorry about the late response. I did the Ocean Shores half iron last year. I think the course and the town are absolutely awesome for triathlon. The course is 95% accessible for viewers and there is a lot to do there for the family when you are out on course.

Last year, the wind was going southwest at about 11mph. It was very noticeable on the back half of the course. I just reminded myself that the course is completely flat, so when the wind hits pretend it is a hill.

Some people will try to power through the wind thinking that it is just a gust...but it is sustaining so just buckle up and gear down as if you are going up a long hill. It isn't that bad.

The race was pretty small. Last year there were 90 people in the Half Iron. It made a fairly empty course until the last half of the run.

Here's my race report:
http://triathlontrainingupdates-shaun.blogspot.com/2013/07/worsttan...

2014-06-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That was a great writeup of the event and should be very helpful for those doing the race.  I personally hate riding and running against the wind so with this being at the ocean I opted for Clear Lake that weekend.  Maybe folks will get lucky and it will be minimal.

I was also concerned about losing my way on the course with so few people and quite a few twists and turns.  Did you find it well marked or was ever unsure where to go?  I'd also be curious if the organization or size of the race changes with Toughman involvement.

2014-06-30 5:46 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
I chose this race as my first 70.3 because it was really cheap. I volunteered for an event before this one and they gave me a discount code that made it impossible to pass up.

I feel like any negative sides to this race are completely overlooked once you are on the run and out on the beach. It is hard-packed sand, seagulls, and waves. It is amazing. I honestly feel like the wind just makes up for the fact that the only elevation on this course are the bridges that go over the canals.

I have always been one of those people to know the course before doing it, so getting lost is only a small concern of mine. The only hard part was at the beginning of the bike course, but it was all well marked out and there were plenty of volunteers there. It is a bit confusing because on the front-side (harborside) all of the roads twist, so one minute you are going south on one road and without doing any turns, you are going north. In another minute you are going south again! It was confusing to watch the sun. The backside (Oceanside) is just a straight shot north/south.

The course is well marked with signs and cones at the turns and turnarounds. Last year there was no issue. A couple of years ago, there were a couple of turns that volunteers didn't get out to before the top couple of half-iron bike men got there and they missed the sign and got lost...but that is the only bad thing I've heard of the course. The Signs are all out there...there is just a small possibility that people might not be standing at them.

There was one point where I felt like I was lost. There were no bikes behind or in front of me and I was riding through a neighborhood (on Fairwood) and it was just silent for about a mile. I didn't feel like I was in a race. I just felt like I was out for a ride. It felt a little weird...like I warped to some foreign place...but then I came to the main road and saw some signage and new that I was indeed on course.

I am really hoping that the Toughman labeling helps attract more people. The city loves the athletes and it shows. They are allowing them to have 1500 people in this race and the course can definitely handle it. If only 1500 people would show up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean Shores Half Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Out of towner for Ocean Shores?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1448 Posts: 5

2010-03-15 11:11 AM hvcycle

Ocean Shores 'Big Event' tri

Started by camrod67
Views: 952 Posts: 2

2009-07-13 10:47 AM popsracer

Ocean Shores Olympic...

Started by tayow
Views: 919 Posts: 1

2009-06-14 7:32 PM tayow

Ocean Shores "Big Weekend" triathlon

Started by camrod67
Views: 2062 Posts: 4

2009-03-25 3:26 PM briderdt

WASHINGTONIANS AND OREGONIANS- Unite at Ocean Shores!

Started by MsPiggy
Views: 1562 Posts: 18

2006-07-04 4:31 PM Nob
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.